Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
fatleon

Vehicle: 87 hardbody
Default Plank Williams Sr

I used to have a skateboard that I named Plank cause I made it out of a 2x6. When I got this truck I was thinking about what to do with it and what to call it. I decided I want to put some nasty wood grain vinyl on the side and call It Plank Williams Sr after my old skateboard. I still need to do the wood grain.

I used to drive (and still have) a '68 chevy k20. I still like that truck, but I realized it didn't tick any of the right boxes for me. Its big, gets terrible mileage, needed pretty constant work, and has a straight body. That last part is a plus until I take it off road and start to worry about beating it up. So I decided to look for something that would suit me better.

Plank fits the bill. It gets about 20 mpg vs the 8 the chevy gets. Its much smaller, has been reliable, and I don't worry about bouncing it off a tree.

When I got Plank it had been parked for almost 20 years and only had 97k miles on it. The paint is beat, but the interior is still nice, and the only rust is a few small areas in the bed.

Since I got it I have put new tires on it, replaced the clutch, replaced the timing chain, pad-slapped the brakes, and done minor stuff like fix door locks and install a CB.

Here's a bunch of pics starting when I got it.

First trip off road with it. Posing for a flex shot.

Another trip, with my friend in his Samurai.

One with this Brat, it was straight, even had the jump seats in the back.

It rolled over 100k a while back.

I found a good piece of scrap at work to build a bumper out of.

My most recent trip, went camping in southern Colorado.

Also, I have this for a future project. Its a Dana 44 from a Wagoneer.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by fatleon; 07-23-2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: fixed the tiny pic
fatleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
YEPEE (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB,95 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

I lived in Chama for a few years(born/raised in Albuq), your pic gave me a flash back.. miss the scenery!
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

Nice work on the bumper, looks stout.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
synbiotic12

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier 2WD (sold), 1993 D21 4x4

Good find on the waggy axle, love to see more solid axle swapped rigs around here
2007 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5i
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #5
Gordo78
I'm The Juggernaut B&#@^!

Vehicle: 91 D21

It's got potential! Get that SAS done soon, I'm with synbiotic, we need more solid axle trucks here!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB,95 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

noticed your speedo needle, I had to replace my speedo, and the needle started to bend, I used some thread and tied a toothpick to it to keep it straight, what can I say, it works
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
Gordo78
I'm The Juggernaut B&#@^!

Vehicle: 91 D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEPEE View Post
noticed your speedo needle, I had to replace my speedo, and the needle started to bend, I used some thread and tied a toothpick to it to keep it straight, what can I say, it works
My grandpa swapped mine from a big old Oldsmobile station wagon in the junkyard WAAAY back when. Seemed to fit perfect, no more bend, and hasn't bent in more than 15 years being on there.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #8
fatleon

First, sorry for the silence, soon after my last post my modem died.

Yepee, Chama is one of my favorite areas to explore, camp. That pic is just a couple miles north of Chama.

Estetic, thanks, I kicked it and it didn't move. That's a good test right?

Syn and Gordo, I really want to get on with the swap, but I gotta get some other stuff done first.

The speedo needle was draging on the face when I got Plank, so I took the lens off and cut the barely end off. Fixed.

OK, now some new stuff.
I have a York pump, I was working on mounting it on my Chevy, but now I'm gonna mount it on Plank. Awhile back I saw someone had mounted a York on a Z24, I don't remember who it was, and I can't find it again, but I've basically copied what they did. Just a couple brackets to adapt the York to the original Nissan bracket.

And the bracket on the bottom.

And heres the tank I'm gonna use. Its 3 gallons form a small compressor I found on CL. I picked that up to use cause it was complete, and the pressure relief valve the switch and the tank are all matched.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:37 AM   #9
fatleon

I'm having a weird issue with Plank. When the temp sensor is plugged in it runs bad. The problem is the ignition advance goes all wacky. It will retard as the throttle is opened, which means its totally gutless when I try to leave from a stop.
If I unplug the temp sensor it will advance like normal, and drive like normal. So I got a new temp sensor, but its still the same.

I've checked the TPS and the MAF, they were both in spec. There aren't any trouble codes. Does anyone have any ideas? Or have any info about how this computer 'thinks', like what sensor inputs cause what changes?

Thanks for looking?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
fj1289

Vehicle: 1995 King Cab SE-6 & 94 Pathfinder XE-6

I'm not very familiar with the ECU and sensors on these trucks yet, but maybe it's a wiring issue. Maybe a short to ground? Could give a bad sensor reading to the ECU? But when the sensor is removed it is an open circuit to the ECU? ECUs can often compensate for missing sensor info but can't distinguish "bad" sensor data.

On another line of thought - always a good idea to check your grounds - ECU ground, engine to frame ground, body to frame ground, etc. After 20+ years, a bit of resistance is bound to have developed in at least some of the connections.

Again, I'm shooting in the dark here. I'll bet someone on here has had experience with the same or similar issue.
fj1289 is offline   Reply With Quote