Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2021, 12:29 AM   #1
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 87
Vehicle: 1988 4x4 D21 Crew cab Diesel
Thanks: 95
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default Spongy brakes after replacing wheel bearings on right side

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I replaced the inner and outer bearings on the front drivers side (RHD) and didn't had time to replace on the left side.
Pre-loaded the lock nut according to the manual too. Torqued the lock nut to 98 nm, spinned the rotors a couple of times, torqued again, spinned again and then unscrewed it to 0nm, and tightened slightly it by hand (manual says 0-1.5nm but don't have a torque wrench for those values).
However, after that went for a drive and the brakes were spongy. I press the brakes once, and they go lower than usual. However, if I release them once and then press again it brakes just fine. I just removed the brake caliper (didn't disconnect the hoses), so I didn't bleed the brakes...is it necessary?

Any ideas of what could be happening?
First time doing this kind of job, so might have done some dumb mistake.

EDIT: Bled the 4 brakes just in case and didn't work out.
__________________
Current:
'88 D21 AD 4x4 Crew cab TD23 Diesel (MT)
Past:
'90 BMW Z3 1.9 (AT) / '03 Toyota Yaris 1.0 (AT)
'90 Renault 19 1.2 (MT)/ '02 Seat Ibiza 1.6 (MT)

Last edited by PFDSA; 12-13-2021 at 01:37 AM.
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:46 AM   #2
dvdswan
Super Moderator
 
dvdswan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 5,536
Vehicle: 96 HB
Thanks: 203
Thanked 862 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Caliper slides dry?
__________________
Dave
96 HB XE
SAS'd D44 3-link on 35s
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PFDSA (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:15 AM   #3
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 87
Vehicle: 1988 4x4 D21 Crew cab Diesel
Thanks: 95
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdswan View Post
Caliper slides dry?
Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean?
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:44 AM   #4
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB
 
Deerhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,955
Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanks: 916
Thanked 1,063 Times in 960 Posts
Default

The slides on the calipers. Allowed the caliper to move.



Did you spread the pads when you removed it? Pump it up a little to get the pads moved back in and let it sit to see if that did the trick. Should only take a few presses.
__________________
1986.5 SE-V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody
Pacesetter Long Tube Headers
Morimoto Mini D2S HID Projectors and Hella 500s
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PFDSA (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:53 AM   #5
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 87
Vehicle: 1988 4x4 D21 Crew cab Diesel
Thanks: 95
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
The slides on the calipers. Allowed the caliper to move.



Did you spread the pads when you removed it? Pump it up a little to get the pads moved back in and let it sit to see if that did the trick. Should only take a few presses.
Ah, I see.

To remove the caliper, I just removed the 2 bolts (slides?) and then set the caliper on top of a box. Didn't touched in anything else. Didn't grease the slides because didn't know I was supposed to, and the slides didn't had any grease when I removed them. Could that be the reason?

EDIT: Pumped the brakes like Deerhust suggested and then went for a 15 minutes drive. Brakes are still spongy tho, so it must be something else. Lack of grease on the sliders could do this?
__________________
Current:
'88 D21 AD 4x4 Crew cab TD23 Diesel (MT)
Past:
'90 BMW Z3 1.9 (AT) / '03 Toyota Yaris 1.0 (AT)
'90 Renault 19 1.2 (MT)/ '02 Seat Ibiza 1.6 (MT)

Last edited by PFDSA; 11-29-2021 at 05:34 AM.
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
PorknBeans
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Where I can see the air I breathe...
Posts: 596
Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all
Thanks: 66
Thanked 187 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Sounds like there’s air in the hydraulic system and the brakes need to be bled. Unless your master cylinder is/has failed, your brake pedal should never go all the way to the floor. Bleeding your brakes in the correct sequence is critical. I just did a full brake job on my fronts. But I replaced my OEM calipers and my pedal went to the floor. I also removed the brake hose, which you didn’t. But I would check the master cylinder and bleed the brakes to rule those items out.
__________________
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PFDSA (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #7
PFDSA
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Japan
Posts: 87
Vehicle: 1988 4x4 D21 Crew cab Diesel
Thanks: 95
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Sounds like there’s air in the hydraulic system and the brakes need to be bled. Unless your master cylinder is/has failed, your brake pedal should never go all the way to the floor. Bleeding your brakes in the correct sequence is critical. I just did a full brake job on my fronts. But I replaced my OEM calipers and my pedal went to the floor. I also removed the brake hose, which you didn’t. But I would check the master cylinder and bleed the brakes to rule those items out.
Replaced the master cylinder a few months ago because it was leaking. However, the brakes have been working just fine until I removed the caliper on the right side and replaced the wheel bearing. Didn't disconnect the hose, so there shouldn't have air in the system, right?

Anyway, guess will give it a try and bleed the brakes. Any other ideas?
Wondering if the fact that the caliper slides aren't greased could be related.
__________________
Current:
'88 D21 AD 4x4 Crew cab TD23 Diesel (MT)
Past:
'90 BMW Z3 1.9 (AT) / '03 Toyota Yaris 1.0 (AT)
'90 Renault 19 1.2 (MT)/ '02 Seat Ibiza 1.6 (MT)
PFDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek
 
89'HBV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Washington State / the Left Coast
Posts: 1,365
Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD
Thanks: 1,121
Thanked 324 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDSA View Post
Didn't disconnect the hose, so there shouldn't have air in the system, right?
Do a bleed... can't hurt. Yea, I know... setup and all. Just do it... have some grease available.


__________________
. . . Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PFDSA (11-29-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:27 AM   #9
PorknBeans
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Where I can see the air I breathe...
Posts: 596
Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all
Thanks: 66
Thanked 187 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDSA View Post
Replaced the master cylinder a few months ago because it was leaking. However, the brakes have been working just fine until I removed the caliper on the right side and replaced the wheel bearing. Didn't disconnect the hose, so there shouldn't have air in the system, right?

Anyway, guess will give it a try and bleed the brakes. Any other ideas?
Wondering if the fact that the caliper slides aren't greased could be related.
Any progress on this yet?
__________________
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow
 
Reserector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Laurel, MS
Posts: 2,002
Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan HB KC 4x4 5.3V8
Thanks: 99
Thanked 553 Times in 434 Posts
Default

While removing the calipers, you spread the brake pads apart a bit.

After reassembly, the first pump of the brakes pushed the pads against the rotors and re-seated them.

You should be good, unless it keeps going to the floor.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.