Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-12-2021, 03:31 AM   #21
Lagoon

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Nah, itís just a design flaw. Iíve flushed that passage out with a whole can of carburetor cleaner and it didnít fix it lol.
Ended up finding out the issue I took apart everything dropped the oil pan and basically the entire timing assembly was shattered in there. I'm getting the parts tomorrow or the next day took a few days to get everything apart we weren't working to hard but it definitely is a time consuming task.
Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:34 AM   #22
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

This is a great truck to learn on. How long have you owned it?
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #23
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,382 Posts

Pay close attention to how you set the distributor. I don't own a KA24e engine, but it seems like it is a bitch to get it right.

Alabama Lowlife has a great write-up on doing the timing chain that should have everything you need to know. It is a sticky on here.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Lagoon (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 12:16 AM   #24
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon View Post
Ended up finding out the issue I took apart everything dropped the oil pan and basically the entire timing assembly was shattered in there. I'm getting the parts tomorrow or the next day took a few days to get everything apart we weren't working to hard but it definitely is a time consuming task.
I can give you some hints, since I have done the chain job on maybe four different KA24E engines over the years. First thing...don't drop the timing cover on the pavement. It will crack or just shatter on you. Guaranteed. I put an old blanket under the work area. Second is DON'T OVERTIGHTEN the timing cover bolts. Let the gasket and sealer do the job. It is easier than heck to crack the cover around a bolt hole, especially the corners.

Engine must be set to absolute top dead center on the compression stroke when doing work, and don't let the truck move an inch forward or back. Block the wheels good, or at least the back wheels if you jack up the truck.

Easy way to get TDC on the compression stroke:
  • Take out just the number one spark plug. The one in the front of the engine.
    Get your big-ass wrench ready to turn the crankshaft bolt to turn the engine over.
    Oh yea...disconnect and remove the battery first, and put truck in neutral.
    Get a long, skinny screwdriver ready.
    Put your finger over the spark plug hole and block it off as good as you can.
    Turn the crank bolt CLOCKWISE until air pushes your finger out of the hole. That is compression stroke.
    Put the screwdriver into the hole.
    Turn the crank bolt slightly clockwise or counterclockwise, just a bit, until you feel the top of the piston touching the screwdriver. Go back and forth with the crank bolt just a LITTLE bit in each direction.
    At some point, you will figure out when the piston reaches absolute top of the stroke before it starts to go back down. When you find that spot, stop turning the crank bolt.
    You are now at TDC/compression stroke. Then you can install everything right down to the oil pump and distributor. Chain stuff first, of course.
    Some pictures below might help on the oil pump install, which is critical to get right. If you are off just one tooth on the oil pump gear, you will be approximately 20 degrees out of time.

You can use just sealer, or you can use gaskets AND sealer on these timing covers. I prefer to use gaskets with the sealer. There is no real oil pressure going in there, not like other parts of the engine. Never exceed the factory recommended torque on timing cover bolts. If it says ten pounds, I will go only eight pounds and let the sealer/gasket do the job. These covers, after years of being subjected to thousands of heat-ups and cool-downs, get very brittle. No little extra 'oomph' stuff on the bolts or you will crack the cover every time.

Ask me how I know this... Last thing: If you know your installation is good, it is best to wait overnight before trying to start the engine, to let all the sealer dry real good. I don't use silicone on these, although a lot of folks do. I use the old-fashioned Permatex Aviation stuff. One tube, and one brush bottle. Wear gloves or you will be scrubbing it off your fingers for days. It's harder to clean off if you have to take something off later, but if you use it...you will never get a leak. So I use it on things I don't expect to take apart for many years to come.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-13-2021 at 12:22 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Lagoon (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:50 AM   #25
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

I'd just use a gasket at the valve cover. RTV is a bitch to clean up if you have to take it off again and half the time you don't get it all off and it just makes a gap later that leaks oil.

As SiFi said, the valve cover basically just makes sure to keep the oil in the engine, no pressure. Just splashes.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Lagoon (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #26
Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
This is a great truck to learn on. How long have you owned it?
Probably about 3 months now I'm not entirely sure.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #27
Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Pay close attention to how you set the distributor. I don't own a KA24e engine, but it seems like it is a bitch to get it right.

Alabama Lowlife has a great write-up on doing the timing chain that should have everything you need to know. It is a sticky on here.
I took tons of pictures and we have timing gun
Old 06-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #28
Lagoon

Thank you very much that is a lot of very useful information. We already got everything apart just waiting for the parts to come in the mail its taking forever sadly. I took the liberty of cleaning up most of the parts that were covered in years of oil buildup and dirt so looking much better now. Luckily my dad worked on diesel and gas engines when he was in the navy so he's pretty good at stuff like this, thank the lord. Everything is going super smoothly except for the RTV that stuff sucks and I've learned that the hard way. I've been using plastic scrapers and engine degreaser to clean most of the parts making sure to not get it into places it doesn't belong. But for the time being all is going smoothly
Old 06-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #29
Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I'd just use a gasket at the valve cover. RTV is a bitch to clean up if you have to take it off again and half the time you don't get it all off and it just makes a gap later that leaks oil.

As SiFi said, the valve cover basically just makes sure to keep the oil in the engine, no pressure. Just splashes.
I got gaskets for everything that needs gaskets I officially hate RTV
Old 06-14-2021, 04:20 AM   #30
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon View Post
I got gaskets for everything that needs gaskets I officially hate RTV
I never liked RTV because it gets soft after a while. Especially the blue stuff. The red high-temp is semi-okay, though. I call it Mean Red. If you go the silicone route, it generally works best. I won't go near the blue stuff.

The gasket sealer question has always come down to two things. You can seal it for good and it will never leak....BUT....if you have to remove that part later it is harder to get all the gasket stuff off.

Or you can go the silicone route and eventually most of it softens up. But it's easier to remove than Permatex.

For example, I will always use a gasket and Permatex on an oil pan. That's because if you pull the pan later, the whole block side is easy to reach with a razor blade or whatever, and you can clean the pan itself on the ground, out in the open. Same thing with a thermostat, a few other spots. I might favor Mean Red on a timing cover only because if you have to remove it down the road you don't want to be whacking that cover with the rubber mallet TOO hard to free that Permatex. I will use Permatex on a valve cover for the same reason as the oil pan. Easy to reach. But on that you just need a very light coating on both sides of the gasket. The gasket itself mainly does the job. The brush bottle Permatex works especially well on valve covers. The tube stuff works a bit better on oil pans.

I think the trickiest part of doing front cover work is DONT DROP THE COVER ONTO THE PAVEMENT and DONT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS.

While you are waiting for the parts, maybe you should do THIS: (40 million views at YouTube can't be wrong), plus it helps toss off the heat from your engine better: https://youtu.be/PRSoRkM8GcM

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-14-2021 at 04:29 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Lagoon (06-15-2021)