Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 02-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #61
MidnightSun

Vehicle: 91 D21 vg33 5speed 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
What headers did you use? They look shiny and chrome. Doug Thorley?

I'd usually go through and fix the images so they are embedded in your post, but I'm operating on a laptop screen and keyboard today. Better than a phone, but it's still slow.
Theyre pacesetter. I had originally ordered the painted ones. After a few months of delays i called to inquire and was told that the cerramic coated were in stock and could ship out by the weekend. After those getting delayed, I called pacesetter directly and they informed me about them being shut down for awhile. Figured i wouldnt change my order again.

Yea eventually id like to get them embedded, im usually posting from my phone, dont have a great spot to sit down and work on my computer.
MidnightSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #62
MidnightSun

Hey Everyone! Its been awhile since I've been getting on here. I moved to Baker, NV for the summer work. Put about, probably close to, 3000 miles on the build. Seems to be running like a top. Although, my door handle broke again already. (Just replaced it a few months ago.)

Just to give some update pictures of the exhaust and stabalizer bar.

I ended up just welding up a short side exit exhaust with a glass pack, so I could get out here.

For the stabilizer shock, with the filter moved to the front, it would make contact. I ended up just extending it a bolt hole length and welding a piece of steel to the backside.

It of course changed the angle on the ends. It still seems to have fluid movement and doesnt seem to hinder anything down there.

Also believe its time that I'll be changing out the leaf springs. I'm looking at getting some "medium duty" says that up to GVWR that it gives a lift of 1". With how much I'll probably be pulling the trailer, it'll be worth it.

I think that should update to where I'm at.

Oh, I tried searching, found very little actual info on it. Is it possible to relocate the climate control to the bottom of the center console? I don't mind the fabrication that will probably be needed. At the same time I would be looking at taking out the A/C things under the dash, which could make things a bit more flexible.

Last edited by MidnightSun; 04-18-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: broken photo links
Old 04-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #63
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,828 Posts

It would be tough to get the cables to reach down there and operate.

For the door handle, try removing the latch assembly so you can clean and lubricate it. That should keep the door handles intact.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:19 PM   #64
MidnightSun

So a bit of an update. Pictures will have to come later. Found out that an update on the phone got rid of being able to resize the photos, so ill have to get them on the computer to resize.

First problem that came up was the locking of my rear axle. Was thinking it was the diff. Got that separated and after looking the diff was good. Moved up to the transfer case, that turned out to be the problem. Got the transfer case out and apart, the counter gear bearing exploded was all mangled up along with the toothed plate on the counter gear. Sourced a transfer case from an automatic. Opened it up to check the things and change out all the seals. Everything looked good, I just couldn't get the speedo gear out of the rear case. So I have the front and middle case and internals from the auto transfer, and the rear case from the case that was the truck. Got everything back together and all fluids changed in the driveline.

During this time of the truck being down and waiting for parts I got some other upgrades done. I put in a Maf from a 01 Xterra, and also switched the injector harness to the updated injector connectors. Was initially going to swap in a little larger injectors, but about half of them were leaking and hydro locked the engine. Got that remedied and opted to go with vg33 injectors. With the planned injector swap I had installed an AFR gauge and Vacuum gauge as well as an Apexi SAFC2, to tune it to the injectors. I had also refinished the dash and door cards. The dash now has no cracks and has a double din hu put in place of the center air vents. (Again, I will make another post with a photo dump, ha)

Well after that all got buttoned up I took it for a drive. Started right up and ran, I believe, better than it had even after the swap. Drove it about 10 miles or so, enough to get it warmed up as a I ran a couple errands. Got it back to the house. After about 30 minutes I went back out to pull it into the garage. Started but ran like shit, was wanting to die on me.

Pulled codes and was getting camshaft, engine coolant temp, ignition signal, knock sensor, and intermittently (about twice over a dozen or so times of pulling codes) got ECU.

After testing wires and connectors it seems like it would have to be the transistor. The FSM says to test it for continuity in a lower range I've ordered two, they've had similar or in the case of the first one I got, more resistance than the one that has been on the truck.

Would someone be willing to test their power transistor so i have a comparison from one in a running truck?

The only other thing I could see it being is the ecu.

The problem is no spark. I replaced the camshaft, didnt seem to be getting a signal from it, confirmed I am getting one from the new one. Tried two different power transistors, got a coil with the last one since it was pretty cheap.

I suppose another thing could be the resistor/condensor. The FSM says spec is 2.2 ohms, but the resistor itself is labelled as a 2.2 kohm, which is what it tests as. I had looked for prices and it doesn't seem like that's even available.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:09 PM   #65
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,551 Posts

Use https://imgur.com to post photos. It's much faster. There is some learning curve to it, but after you post 2 or 3 photos, you'll have it down.

I might be able to test the power transistor because I have a V6 also. Maybe you could take a picture of what points you are testing. I'm in training classes all this week, so I won't have much time to dig this up in the Service Manual - feed it to me, please.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
MidnightSun (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:52 PM   #66
MidnightSun

Quote:
Use https://imgur.com to post photos. It's much faster. There is some learning curve to it, but after you post 2 or 3 photos, you'll have it down.
I'll look at getting them on imgur, otherwise its just a matter of getting them on the computer.

Quote:
I might be able to test the power transistor because I have a V6 also. Maybe you could take a picture of what points you are testing. I'm in training classes all this week, so I won't have much time to dig this up in the Service Manual - feed it to me, please.
That would be great. Ill get those things together and send it on over to you.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:18 PM   #67
MidnightSun

Heres that photo dump.
https://imgur.com/a/3ExpxlW
Old 03-30-2022, 11:24 PM   #68
Zerksy

Vehicle: 91 D21 ka24 5speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Heres that photo dump.
https://imgur.com/a/3ExpxlW
Love that dash rehab. looks great

Formerly Owned: 89' D21 KingCab z24i 5speed, 90' D21 KingCab ka24 5speed

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet" - General James Mattis USMC
Zerksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
MidnightSun (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:42 PM   #69
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,828 Posts

Impressive work on the dash!
Old 03-31-2022, 12:35 AM   #70
MidnightSun

Thanks. The real test will be how well it holds up. It feels pretty solid. Was a fun project, my first time attempting one like that. Still in the plans is a center console, may try a vinyl wrap on that.