Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-29-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
HiddenSquid

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan Hardbody
Default Starting issue

So I just picked up a 94 d21 with the ka24. It ran fine for a few days and was doing well.
Then the other day when backing out of my driveway it started to stumble and died. Then wouldn't start. It turned over fine though.
Came back to it today and it started fine, idled kind of high (1.5k). It would stutter off and on with any throttle input but once warmed up was fine.
Turned it off and now wont start again.
looked around at the ignition and noticed the distributer only had one bolt holding it to the block. So it could be rotated. Put another bolt in it and tried several different angle to see if that would help and nothing.

I'm hoping its just an ignition/timing issue.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Its supposed to be my daily so I'm getting desperate.

Thank you!

Also tried searching for something related but came up short handed so I'm very sorry if this is super common.
HiddenSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #2
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenSquid View Post
I'm hoping its just an ignition/timing issue.
Welcome to IN...

So, you'll need a timing light and you can DL the FSM at the link in my sig... v v v

What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,483 Posts

If the engine runs bad when cold but not when warm, you probably have a cracked vacuum hose.

When the hose is cold, air seeps in the cracks. When the engine warms up, the rubber hoses expand and seal the leak.

Try pulling the codes to see if the ECU can give you an idea of where the leak is.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If the engine runs bad when cold but not when warm, you probably have a cracked vacuum hose.

When the hose is cold, air seeps in the cracks. When the engine warms up, the rubber hoses expand and seal the leak.

Try pulling the codes to see if the ECU can give you an idea of where the leak is.
This is very true. My best advice is to get a propane torch and crack the valve open on the nozzle but don't light the torch, hold the torch head over the intake area after you start the truck cold. If the idle goes up in a certain area, your vacuum leak has showed it's ugly face.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:29 AM   #5
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

If the OP thinks it’s a vacuum hose(s). He should change ALL of them...ONE. BY. ONE.

D21’s demand regular maintenance to run correctly and/or efficiently.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

That was good advice. Always change vacuum hoses one at a time. If you start pulling them all off, you WILL forget where they go properly. Ask me how I know this.

And when you change out these hoses, ditch those cheap factory clamps and buy yourself a boatload of shiny chrome modern hose clamps. Work better and always look nice. Buy your hoses right off the stock rolls at the parts store. Don't order OEM replacements unless you have two wallets and one of them is stuffed full of cash. To make sure you buy the right sizes, pull one at a time and compare it to the rolls of hose at the parts store. Then buy the length you need of that particular size, plus a bit extra just in case.

Pull cap and rotor and replace. Pull spark plug wires and plugs. REPLACE. If the wires look quality and new, okay...you can leave them. If you replace, don't buy a cheap set.

If your starter is a problem, do NOT buy ANY STARTER REBUILT IN CHINA. Never, nada, not happening, and negatory. Get a rebuilt Hitachi or something rebuilt in the USA. Make sure it comes with a new pigtail connection already attached.

Change out air filter. Change out fuel filter. Change the oil and put in a quart of HyPerLube FIRST...fill balance with stock oil. Manual says 4.5 quarts on the four banger engine. Screw that. Add the quart of HyPerLube and then four more quarts of regular oil. A half quart over the stick never hurt a thing. Trust me on this.

If you want to get totally crazy, after you dump the old oil out, pull your valve cover and do a new gasket. Then pull your oil pan and do the same. THEN add your new oil and filter. What is HyPerLube? See picture below. Most parts stores carry it. It works. Also a picture of the gasket sealer you should use on both gaskets. Old fashioned, but using it you will never get a leak thereafter in that spot. All of these things are the policy I used when I owned the truck you see in the picture. When I sold it, it had absolutely zero issues, 132K miles, and ran like new.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-30-2021 at 09:49 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
joey (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
A half quart over the stick

Half a quart, probably no problem. But too high puts the crank in the oil, resulting in foaming, and wrapping the crank in a "rope."
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (11-30-2021), XoXSciFiGuy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
joey

Vehicle: Reg cab 2wd 1989 D21 w/ a motor from an '86 D21

Sorry you are having those issues with it. My truck ALWAYS idles high 1.5k. I've read that it could be the throttle body gasket leaking air. Havent had the time to replace it yet to find out. I ALSO need to replace all my vacuum hoses.

R2-D2 wishes he was a D21
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
XoXSciFiGuy (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:09 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Those idle problems are more or less ongoing with the pre-1990 engines. I came to the idea that Nissan engineers were trying to meet excessive USA emissions standards and they had to try 'this or that' to get past the requirements. Late 80's tech stuff...

And...these same engineers never figured in their wildest dreams that people would still be driving these rigs with the original engines more than thirty years down the road. Any more than some Ford engineer designing a 1925 Model T would believe people would be driving that T daily...in 1955.

I swear if some aftermarket company started manufacturing BRAND NEW throttle body setups, complete with all the surrounding peripherals on them...and offering them for sale...they would make a killing.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:57 AM   #10
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,236 Posts

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25332

The article was written by someone that had a 94 model with the 4 cylinder.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (12-03-2021), jp2code (12-03-2021), XoXSciFiGuy (12-03-2021)