Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #23591
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Y’all

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Nice going on the brake job, PNB. With thin doors, no crush zones, and only a 25 year old airbag to protect you...top-line brakes are really a necessity on a hardbody...unless you want to gamble with your life.

Love my Xterra, but miss my truck. Badly. I just hope that kid down in Tri-Cities, WA is taking care of it like I did. He paid almost five grand for it, so I hope that motivates him not to just beat the hell out of it. I keep hoping he will show up at Infamous...told him about the site a few times while he was checking out the truck.
Thanks! Was a good amount of work to do a complete job. But these rotors are excellent! REALLY stops when I want the truck to stop! I run BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires and they have always been great on my truck. They still have a good amount of meat on them. So braking is complimented by these tires. And yes, I wholeheartedly agree about the thin sheet metal doors, no crumple zones and a 25 yr. old air bag to “save your bacon”. It won’t. Actuall, my airbag light is flashing AGAIN. So I put it into diagnostic mode and it shows a Code 2. So it’s either the air bag itself or the detector unit. I’m banking on the air bag’s capacitor dielectric material being dried out and causing an open circuit. Clock spring has already been changed out. I’ll wait for a notification from LKQ Pick-A-Part when a D21 comes into their yard. 2 are there already. But it’s been a while since I’ve received that e-mail.

I hope that guy is taking care of the Teal Terror! He’d be foolish not to! Heck, you might even see it go back up for sale at one point. Hope he joins the site so we can see what’s going on with it.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:37 PM   #23592
rockcrawls

Vehicle: 1991 D21 4wd 4cyl, Case 580D backhoe loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawls View Post
Thanks for all the great info. So with the engine cold, the oil level is exactly half, in range. This means I didn't lose any oil or very little oil in the past 1500 miles. The coolent level is also perfect and haven't been losing any water.

I took a paper towel and rubbed it inside the exhaust pipe. There was some black that came off but very little. I had to rub it pretty hard to even get that. I put this new muffler on 10 months ago. That's one reason I notice any little smoke or condensate coming out of the tip now in my side view mirror.

I did idle and run the truck at low speeds for quite a while before that happened. Maybe it was "loading up".
Also picked up a couple pumpkins for 2$ each.

Another interesting thing. When I first installed the muffler from the cat back, the emissions light finally went out on my dash. It slowly returned over the next couple weeks and stayed on. Then one day I started up the truck and a whole bunch of water came out where the muffler attaches to the cat. (I couldn't get a perfect seal at that joint when installing.) After the water came out, the emissions light went out for the next few days. It's back on now though. The cat is in bad shape. I almost replaced it when I did the muffler.

Hauled a heavy full load of my dad's old table saw and radial arm saw over a mountain summit. Handled great.

However,

I feel like smoke comes out of my exhaust more often. Now that I've been paying attention to it it does do that "loading up"... Like when I am idling for a bit or driving really slow off road it will smoke. Maybe it's just because I've only had a muffler on it for two years now noticing it out my side view mirror and the weather is getting colder. I hate to think something is going out.

Last edited by rockcrawls; 10-23-2021 at 09:55 PM.
rockcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #23593
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
However,

I feel like smoke comes out of my exhaust more often. Now that I've been paying attention to it it does do that "loading up"... Like when I am idling for a bit or driving really slow off road it will smoke. Maybe it's just because I've only had a muffler on it for two years now noticing it out my side view mirror and the weather is getting colder. I hate to think something is going out.
Pull your plugs and they should tell you more about which cyl is causing issues/loading up.

Personally I like Hy-Per Lube The Ultimate Smoke-Fix. It's loosened up many guide seals and stopped smoking in many (small, granted) engines. I also have dropped a quart in my D21, many years ago, as PM. No idea if it helped or hurt... but it's still running!
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:01 AM   #23594
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

Quote:
Hauled a heavy full load of my dad's old table saw and radial arm saw over a mountain summit. Handled great.

However,

Probably time for some valve seals.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #23595
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,453 Posts

Quote:
I doubt your muffler is going out. Maybe the CAT is in bad shape.

I put a new, custom-fit, Walker CAT on mine a few years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9359M/ $165

Like the picture shows, it did NOT come with new bolts, and my old bolts snapped off when I tried removing the original. So be prepared to make a trip to the local hardware store to get a set of stainless steel bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts.

Or, you could always go the cheaper route and get Walker's Weld-On CAT:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C945NM/ $76

But once you weld it on, you won't be able to take it off again like you can now.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #23596
PorknBeans

Update on my newly installed brake rotors and semi-metallic pads:

All is working great! The truck really stops quickly, when needed. The manufacturer suggests to bed-in the pads at 400-500 miles. I did the initial burn in and am now at 385 miles of normal braking. I will have completed the entire breaking in process today. I really like these drilled and slotted rotors and pads! The Raybestos brake calipers are working excellent as well! The new FVP brand master cylinder from Rock Auto is working great too! So overall, a great combo of braking parts. The rear drums, shoes and all hardware is next.

So nothing but good things to report. I will update as time goes by…
Old 10-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #23597
WilliamGreen

Vehicle: D21 4x4 2.4l Z24i 1990

Finally got my 3-year 1990 D21 project through inspection. Officially legal and on the road again since 2018. Whole brake system has been renewed, ENTIRE NEW factory made bed shipped cross the world from Nissan Japan (took about a year to receive), completely redone interior & custom sound system, a bit of framework, new paintjob and raptor bedliner, custom offroad front bumper with a 12.000lbs winch attached, most steering and suspension components renewed, subtle 3" lift kit... etc. It's difficult to remember all the things that i've done to it! Extra lights will be installed soon on the roof also ofc. Along with a cb ham. Cheers from Finland.

Link to some pictures i uploaded to imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/9JKkBXz

Last edited by WilliamGreen; 10-27-2021 at 10:41 AM.
WilliamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (10-26-2021), alabama_lowlife (10-26-2021), Reserector (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #23598
PorknBeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamGreen View Post
Finally got my 3-year 1990 D21 project through inspection. Officially legal and on the road again since 2018. Whole brake system has been renewed, ENTIRE NEW factory made bed shipped cross the world from Nissan Japan (took about a year to receive), completely redone interior & custom sound system, a bit of framework, new paintjob and raptor bedliner, custom offroad front bumper with a 12.000lbs winch attached, most steering and suspension components renewed, subtle 3" lift kit... etc. It's difficult to remember all the things that i've done to it! Extra lights will be installed soon on the roof also ofc. Along with a cb ham. Cheers from Finland.

Link to some pictures i uploaded to imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/9JKkBXz
Very nice truck!

I like the stance and ground clearance! Nice straight body panels! A fine example of why the D21 is so popular!

I parked next to a guy with his family at a store over the weekend and he asked me if I was selling my truck. I respectfully told him no. But he really liked my truck and wanted to buy it. Told him I wasn’t “done” with it just yet. I also have a guy at work that wants to buy it. I also told him that I’m not “done” with it yet.

Last edited by PorknBeans; 10-26-2021 at 06:23 PM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
WilliamGreen (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #23599
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,780 Posts

Great truck man!
Old 10-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #23600
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 2wd Z24i HB D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Very nice truck!
I’m not “done” with it yet.
I like that excuse. That's the one I'll be using too.
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote