Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-01-2021, 04:23 AM   #11
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,032 Times in 932 Posts

Ethanol eventually eats things that are designed for ethanol fuels too. It's horrible garbage. Have a generator that the previous owner left full of ethanol fuel. It left a yellow she'll over everything it touched and even somehow leeched into the float in the carb and filled the carb up with the foulest smelling fuel I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Ethanol fuels "go bad". Non ethanol does not. Ethanol also is hydroscopic and will retain water from the atmosphere. All things you don't want.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:36 AM   #12
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Shelf life of ethanol is 3-4 months. It will seperate. Non-eth is 12 months. Eth in vehicles is ok... small engines, not so much!
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:41 AM   #13
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Yea, ethanol is bad shit when it comes to petroleum based products... even metals will be affected... over time. I just cleaned jelly from the tank of a mower today. Nasty shit! (BTW, pine sol does a great job breaking down old fuels. Great cleaner @2:1 w/water...)
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #14
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Everyone has different opinions on ethanol-added fuel, but one thing we can agree on is that NON-ethanol is BETTER. The problem is that most fuel you can buy is ethanol-added. Sure...you can find your nearest supplier of old-fashioned non-ethanol fuel, and prepare to pay premium rates because in most places it ain't cheap. And there aren't nearly as many outlets as for ethanol-added fuel.

The vast majority of people are now used to running ethanol-added in their cars and trucks...and the vast majority of them suffer no major problems as a result, especially if their vehicles are daily drivers. But there are a couple of considerations.

First, avoid using independent mom and pop gas stations or 7-11's whenever possible. Many of them use fuel suppliers who are careless in their deliveries. Like others have said, the one bad thing about ethanol fuel is that it sucks water from the atmosphere like a sponge. Most of the major fuel suppliers, like Arco, Chevron, or Shell...these guys know how to handle ethanol fuel and keep water absorption to an absolute minimum. For example, the local Fred Meyers where I live started using a different fuel delivery service, and customers started bitching about the gas almost right away. They were allowing air to reach the fuel during all stages of acquisition, transport, and eventually delivery to the underground tanks at the store. FM soon got rid of them.

Since I'm NOT willing to pay $4.50-$5.00 or more a gallon for NON-ethanol added fuel, I came to a compromise. I will only use Arco or Chevron, (preferably Chevron) and only 92 octane, the Super as they say. Super in a four banger Nissan truck doesn't help that much, as opposed to Regular, but it does help you get up steep hills just a tiny bit better, and can help burn out the carbon marginally better. So I just go with that. Three years later with the Teal Terror (yes, that's a joke name) and the engine is still running smooth as silk, so no complaints.

Truck is tuned up very well, using either factory or high-quality parts, gets an oil change with Hy-Per-Lube about every 2,000 miles, and currently gets combined city-highway mileage at 25 MPG. A bit lower if running AC.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
Don't mess with success. Two things my old man used to say. If I didn't listen, he would smack me upside my head.

You guys want to see my new honey? I ditched the last woman after she decided to park herself on the couch downstairs and sleep...for the last seven years. No shit. I finally got the hint. This is me and Susan on a recent camping trip...and I no longer live in Auburn, WA. Will have to change my profile today. The picture proves one thing.

Even old guys like me can find true love, baby. She's the best thing to happen to me in the last twenty years. Well...maybe except my truck. Susan says we can even say how old we are. I'm 67 and she's one year older. We were both born in March, and are Pisces. And I am here to tell you that even at her age, she definitely has charm where it counts. Now you know there is hope for YOU when you reach our ages. And you won't even have to wear yourself out working and have no energy left for 'fun activities', because like us, you will be on Social Security. She's definitely a fireball for sure.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 08-04-2021 at 11:32 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #15
joey

Vehicle: Reg cab 2wd 1989 D21 w/ a motor from an '86 D21

Thanks for all the information! Glad you are happy ScifiGuy!

R2-D2 wishes he was a D21
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #16
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

Not really anything new to add here, but my 86.5 truck is happiest with non-ethanol. The only ethanol free you can get around here is 87, but these trucks aren't high enough compression to need anything more than that anyways.

When it was down for a year while I was welding in the new floor it had just been filled up the day before I parked it with a full tank of ethanol free. A year later after all the work was done I put the battery back in it, hit the key, and after about 10 seconds of spinning up she fired right up and had no problems. I left a tank of ethanol gas in my old ATV for about 4 months during the heat of the summer 2 years ago and had to pull the tank and dump all of it out because it wasn't worth a fart in a jar.

Ethanol is the worst.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (08-09-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 12:16 AM   #17
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
Not really anything new to add here, but my 86.5 truck is happiest with non-ethanol. The only ethanol free you can get around here is 87, but these trucks aren't high enough compression to need anything more than that anyways.

When it was down for a year while I was welding in the new floor it had just been filled up the day before I parked it with a full tank of ethanol free. A year later after all the work was done I put the battery back in it, hit the key, and after about 10 seconds of spinning up she fired right up and had no problems. I left a tank of ethanol gas in my old ATV for about 4 months during the heat of the summer 2 years ago and had to pull the tank and dump all of it out because it wasn't worth a fart in a jar.

Ethanol is the worst.
Well, sure it is. But the problem is that almost all fuel at every major gas station in America has ethanol in it. For vehicles that are daily drivers, or at least once a week on the road, you can use it with few if any problems. If you only drive your rig once a month or less, then taking the trouble to find your nearest non-ethanol-added fuel supplier is worth it.

Another hint with this fuel: Try to not let your gas tank drop below one-half full, especially in the winter. In fact, the more full you keep the tank, the less condensation you will get.

Yeah...ethanol fuel is a PITA sometimes. But it's what we got, as the saying goes.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote