Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-16-2021, 02:56 AM   #1
Tbirkey214

Vehicle: 97 hardbody
Default I really need help getting this running

Im not sure what is related, but here is my whole story....

A year and a half ago i had a bad metallic ratteling sound coming from the front if the truck. I drove it around for a while and it got worse. My brother came over who is a real mechanic and we opened up the valve cover and saw the timing chain tentioner was rumbling around in there jn half! We did it in my front yard and man it sucked. We replaced the oil pump , water pump, did new gaskets and replaced the timing chain, hr did the retiming. It started. ack up but therr wtas still a mettallic rattle. I ended up working out of state and didnt drive that truck for a year and a half. I was kind of over it.

Now im tryin to get it running for a job injust got. I drove it around and the noise came back. First it overheated... i fixed that. Then , in rrying to fix the rattle, i replaced the center bearing on the drive shaft...still rattle. Then i replaced the power steering pump....it needed it , but still rattle. I listenednto the pullies with a stethascope...still rattle.

I asked around and i got....
Its the lifters
Its the timing chain...no oil pressure
Its pre ignition ping
Its oil pressure

So i pressed on the lifters and no play, we put the trucknin 1st and rolled it to get the cams high point off the rockers for that. changed the oil to 10 30 and filter to nissan orm filter. But i arced out on the alternator getting the filter off. I hooked up an oil pressure guage and now it wont start.

Starter tested , and is good
Alternator tested, and is good
Relays near battery tested and are good, the four insidebthe cab are untested
Fuses good
Wire/fuse things near battery cable have contiinuity
Spark test, good
All wires checked over and are plugged in
Truck turns and turns and turns over with distributer cap off, but once its on its turns over maybe 2 or 3 times and stops...no ignition, just stops
Battery light is on
Crankshaft position sensor was on, but for the past two days while driving it around(happened when i forgot to plug in air filter connector when i went to emissions(dummy)

Please help, ive been trying to figure thisnout since last week and i have a job starting monday where i need it. Anything helps, ive been outside getting murdered by mosquitos for 14hours at a time for the past 5 days trying tonfix it
Tbirkey214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:04 AM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

If you arced something against the alternator there's a good chance the fusible links are smoked. Been there, done that lol. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on?
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,763 Posts

Yeah, I’m with SBJ, fusible link is probably fried.

As far as the rattle/running hot issues. Did you replace the timing cover when you did the other stuff?
Old 09-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Tbirkey214

I tesyed the fuseable links and they have continuity. Maybe i did something wrong in checking them??? Ill have to run to the dealershio today and see if they have them.

Yes the check engine light is on.

It no longer runs hot...my rsdiator was clogged. I did. Ot replace the timing cover...what would that do?
Old 09-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
rbourgeo

Vehicle: 1996 D21

Check your grounds, specifically battery ground.

Any codes?
rbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,033 Times in 933 Posts

Dealer for codes? Stop by a parts store, it'll be free. Or $7 Bluetooth OBD dongle off Amazon.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
Tbirkey214

The crank shaft positioner code popped up but that was the other day before i fried it before it wouldnt start. Drove alround all day with it.

I did not replace the timing cover- had to retype that to clarify from last replt
Old 09-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
Tbirkey214

What happens if something isnt grounded?
If it helps diagnose, my alternator let off a puff of smoke when i arced it... i dont see any burnt wires
Old 09-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Ronin

Vehicle: 1996 Hardbody D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
If you arced something against the alternator there's a good chance the fusible links are smoked. Been there, done that lol. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on?
I agree with this as well. IIRC you need more than continuity on your fusible link, you need a certain amount of voltage to be delivered. Sounds like the link is heating up (acts as a resistor) and disconnecting. Especially if it does this, you wait a bit and it does the same thing again...
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
Tbirkey214

I can get the green and.l black one at the dealership right now, I'm gonna go get that. But the others come in tomorrow. Heres pics.. the green and black looked good, but the jacket is ripped...may I'm overlooking the ripped jacket?