Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Bullitt_180sx

Vehicle: 1993 D21 KC SE-V6 4x4 (Time Capsule)
Default Advice on suspension lift kits

I posted this in 4x4 but there is so little traffic over there so I posted it here too.

Hey guys, I will be purchasing a lift kit when taxes come back this year and need a little advice on choosing between 2 kits. I’m looking at the Calmini kit and The Articulator kit from 4x4parts.com

The only complete suspension system for your 4WD Hardbody pickup. Our full system features our signature plate upper control arms which allow for correct factory alignment. This is the system to bring your tired pickup back to life. The complete system includes new laser crafted upper control arms, Vecton bushings, sleeves, new upper ball joints, new 27.5mm heavy duty torsion bars, rear lift blocks, laser cut shackles, new rear U-bolts, brake line stand-off kit, complete hardware and CALMINI performance shocks. Kits also comes complete with installation instructions.

Description
This package provides the best articulation possible in a bolt on kit
Articulator Package Includes:
Chromolly tubular upper control arms
These control arms are made longer than stock to provide actual lift while maintaining proper ball joint angels
Control arms keep the CV's well within manufacturer's specifications
Chromally tubing, long used by the racing industry, is lightweight yet stronger than steel plate
Designed to give a true 3" of lift and provide additional wheel travel
Aligns easily into manufacturer's specifications
Works with factory ball joints
3 Leaf Add-A-Leaf Pack
The full length 3 leaf add-a-leaf pack was designed specifically for your Nissan
Anti-friction pads to reduce noise and increase longevity
Comes with center pin bolt and leaf pack clamps
The leaf pack clamps are long enough for the whole leaf pack to keep individual leafs from moving
Helps revive sagging factory springs
Provides 3" of lift without impeding wheel travel or articulation
Also increases your load carrying capacity so you don't have to worry about bottoming out when your Nissan is loaded down
Full length leaf packs distribute the load more evenly, along the entire length of the spring
Diamond cut edges
Virtually eliminates axle wrap
These 3-leaf add-a-leaf packs help prevent sag and breakage of stock leaf packs
Removing overload leaf is recommened
Revolver Rear Shackles
Provides the ultimate in rear axle articulation
Direct bolt-on to replace factory shackles
Comes with sleeves and bolts
Front and Rear Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Heavy Duty Torsion Bars with 30% higher spring rate
Idler Arm Brace
Installation Hardware
Complete Installation Instructions
Stock brake line must be modified when using factory brake lines
Extended brake lines sold separately--Extended Brake Lines
New wheels with negative 3.75" backspacing recommended
Extensively tested for safety on and off road
If you choose to leave the overload leaf in, you WILL need new U-bolts which are sold separately---Longer U-Bolts
Shackles are made to order and can take up to a week. In most cases they are made in under that time. However in busier times it can run a little over. We appreciate your patience.

I know all the basic stuff like “calmini customer service sucks” and that kinda stuff. Any experience with these specific kits. I’m leaning toward Calmini because even though their customer service sucks, most reviews of the actual kit are good.
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,415 Posts

I'm no 4x4 guy, but I've heard Calmini makes good stuff. I have not heard of Articulator (sure I could Google it, but offhand I have not heard of them).
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

as an engineer the atriculator control arms look outright dangerous. the calmini dont look much better but at least their edge margin where the ball joint mounts isnt less than a bolts width.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
Bullitt_180sx

Vehicle: 1993 D21 KC SE-V6 4x4 (Time Capsule)

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
as an engineer the atriculator control arms look outright dangerous. the calmini dont look much better but at least their edge margin where the ball joint mounts isnt less than a bolts width.
I was thinking the same thing about the shackles.
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Honestly the only things you want out of that calmini kit are the control arms. The rest you can procure directly from calmini's sources at cheaper prices. The t bars are just repainted saw bars.
*1990 WD21 Pathfinder

Nissan Truck Videos (Builds-Racing-Shows-Tech)
https://www.youtube.com/c/NissanTruckguy
IG@ rainmaker_d21

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 AM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner
Thanked 1,004 Times in 915 Posts

Calmini makes decent upper control arms but the way there customer service sucks and how they make people wait for months to get the parts you order I would pass on anything from Calmini.

The articulator is a package 4x4parts puts together that includes the revolver shackles, if I were you I would go with the package with out the revolver shackles.

Nothing wrong with the tubular control arm that 4x4parts sells, same exact design that Jim Conner Racing first developed, and everyone else copied.

Nice thing about 4x4parts is you can buy the parts separately, if you don't want to lay out so much at one time. Do the upper arms and rear add a leafs and shocks to start, later replace the torsion bars, unless they are giving a decent price break by buying everything in one package.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 AM   #7
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

do either of these kits lower the front diff? angle the trans? the issue with these kits is they usually don't include the pieces you need to correct your drive line and axle angles. your front axles are going to be overworked. id think you would need maybe half an inch to a inch drop in the front diff to at least add a bit of life back to your cv axles.
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #8
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

I had the Calmini lift, great kit, price has obviously skyrocketed since I bought it. Customer service was ok, lacking IMO, but that's me. Technically, you can do a PML (poor man's lift) and will be fine (re-index the T-bars and 2" blocks in the rear). You will want to keep the ride height in the front 1/2" to 3/4" from the bump stops so you still have some up travel. CV joints will be fine but will wear faster than normal. This all depends on how often you have the hubs locked or in 4WD. Total lift is 1-1/2" to 2".

IMO, if you are going to use the truck as a 4WD play toy, save your money and do a SAS. there are kits out there that make it possible for around 2K and you will be able to run 35s. You just need to shop around. Just my $.02
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:13 AM   #9
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner
Thanked 1,004 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
do either of these kits lower the front diff? angle the trans? the issue with these kits is they usually don't include the pieces you need to correct your drive line and axle angles. your front axles are going to be overworked. id think you would need maybe half an inch to a inch drop in the front diff to at least add a bit of life back to your cv axles.

No, none of the kits lower anything, the cv axles will be fine as long as you don't crank the bars all the way. Best to adjust the height and keep the lower control arms parallel to the ground or at a very slight downward angle.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Foul_Mouth (01-04-2019)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
Holloween

Vehicle: D21

Hey guys, i use calmini arms for my 93 hardbody, but my bushings are dead. I try to by some on calmini since years but they NEVER send them to me. So i m looking for a substitute. Do you know what sort of bushings i can use ?
Holloween is offline   Reply With Quote