Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-21-2021, 02:11 AM   #23491
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

At this point as long as I can avoid getting fat I'm good. I think there's a lot to be said for having a job that keeps you on your feet all day. But now I work in an office and sit for hours at a time. Besides walking a couple miles a day I try to eat enough to not be hungry, but no more than that. It seems to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
You have spent more time on various vehicles than I have. Do you know why these vehicles use snap rings to hold the lower ball joints in instead of bolts like the tops do? Maybe because the bolts would be somewhere more prone to rust? Just curious.
It's part of a big conspiracy between automakers and tool manufacturers to force us to buy more tools. It's also why we have things like torx fasteners and those stupid quick disconnect fittings the big 3 like to use.

All joking aside, I don't actually know. If I had to guess I would say it's more that it's an efficient way to keep the joint from coming out than anything else. Most ball joints are a taper fit so it really only needs a retainer on one side to keep it in. But then again, that's just a guess. I prefer the bolt-in type myself, but have done enough of them that I have a press tool. Subaru ones are the worst IMHO. They like to seize just because.

Last edited by SBJ; 09-21-2021 at 02:19 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:19 AM   #23492
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I graduated highschool at 89lbs...
I know how that felt, Deerhurst. I was somewhere around 100 pounds when I graduated, and was the same way about gaining weight. Ate any and everything with no effects. However at 50ish, I weigh around 150 pounds and would love to donate about 20 of it to someone.
On the Nissan front, I pulled the right inner fender splash guard out of the package and got a tracing of it in case I need another one later. Hope to put it on tomorrow before the rains hit. Don't need anything else interfering with my crazy charging system.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #23493
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

I ordered a rear cargo rack for the Xterra today from Amazon. It goes into your hitch receiver. We decided against keeping the tent trailer. It's up for sale at Craigslist and Facebook. Looks like we will break even on it anyway...got it pretty cheap. Too much work to do setup for us old folks. If I never touch another tent trailer in this lifetime it will be way too soon.

We thought about going the 'regular' travel trailer route but decided against that too. Main reasons were A) Xterra sucks gas when towing. B) We already have a ton of nice camping gear. C) Don't want to pay license fees and storage on a trailer anyway.

I have LOST weight since moving to Yakima. About ten pounds, but still weigh 170 and I'm 5-11. The woman keeps me busy. I still miss the Teal Terror truck sometimes, but it was getting near chain replacement time, it had 132,000 miles on it, and I was never getting more than what I got for it. Paid 2500 in March 2018 and sold it for 4800. It was time to take the money and go. The 2009 Xterra I practically stole for a lousy 3,000. So it turned out okay all around.

Oh...wanted to mention that the X had the clouded/yellow headlight housing problem. So I tried the Chris Fix at YouTube method on that and it worked great. THEN I installed the LED headlights. I have found that the Torchbeam brand works good in Nissans. Some of the others do not work as well, but Torchbeam seems to have gotten around the problem of housings made for halogens still working with their LED bulbs. So I will recommend them now. You can find them at Amazon. I have now installed these same brand LED headlight bulbs into the Teal Terror, the SeXTerra, and the woman's Toyota Avalon. All with excellent results.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-22-2021 at 07:35 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #23494
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,032 Times in 932 Posts

Nobody has gotten around the issue of LEDs being terrible in halogen housings. It's physics. They've gotten better but nowhere near fixed.

What is the Chris fix? Just a buff?
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #23495
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

Quote:
Nobody has gotten around the issue of LEDs being terrible in halogen housings. It's physics. They've gotten better but nowhere near fixed.

Not sure what the Chris Fix video describes, but I have repaired over a dozen headlights. One good rough buff, then one to two fine buffs, then Krylon clear coat. The first one I did was about 2 years ago on a freind's Infinite G35, still looks as good as the day i did them.
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #23496
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Yall

Got the new inner & outer bearings for the left side, as well as the bearing races to go with the bearings. I punched out the old races with my drift punch and will wipe down all of the old high temp grease and then pack the new bearings with new high temp grease, as well as give the hub cavity & spindle a nice light smear of grease. Then I can reassemble the brake assembly and move onto the right side.

Rotors I am trying out(6 lug of course) with semi-metallic pads:

Last edited by PorknBeans; 09-22-2021 at 05:52 PM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #23497
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Still chasing my crazy charging issue. Can't understand why voltmeter isn't showing proper status and temp gauge goes high when headlights are on. Thinking it may be either a flaky ground or possibly the temp sender going bad.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:29 AM   #23498
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:

Chris Fix is a youtuber who makes car repair videos. A lot of what he covers is more basic stuff but I think he does a good job making things easy to understand for people who aren't mechanically inclined.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #23499
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,323 Times in 1,202 Posts

Stupid pathfinder AC belt snapped on the way home tuesday. When it shredded, it knocked the other two belts off and bent the timing mark tab. Since it has an electric cooling fan, it was much easier to put the alternator belt on by unbolting the water pump pulley. Drove to the parts store with no power steering and got a new AC belt.

The AC tensioner was missing a spacer behind the pulley and was stressing the belt. No wonder it has snapped two other belts. I did not see the difference until i got home and looked at the tensioner on my truck.

Oh well. It is fixed now.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #23500
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Chris Fix is a youtuber who makes car repair videos. A lot of what he covers is more basic stuff but I think he does a good job making things easy to understand for people who aren't mechanically inclined.
Chris Fix was still living with his parents when he started that YouTube channel. It has made him rich. Reports on him do educated guesses on how much money he makes from his videos, and those estimates range to around $250,000 a year or more. Truth is I think he makes a lot more than that. His How-To-Detail-Your-Engine-Bay video went over 35 million views a while ago. That doesn't count all the other videos he's done, many with the same results. He gets to the point and in a really slick manner that appeals to internet viewers.

What does this tell me? (Or anyone else)

We're all in the wrong damn business.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (09-23-2021)