Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #51
MidnightSun

Vehicle: 91 D21

Well, back at it. I had gotten my headers in when I was out in NV. Already have a replacement carrier bushing with a new rear main, egr tube, and the HD motor mounts coming.

I am having a hell of a time trying to break the bolts holding the driveshaft to the final drive. If I take apart the u joint after the carrier (shown in picture), will I have space to separate so I can just leave it connected to the diff? Or any tips on breaking them free. There's only room enough to fit an open ended wrench on the nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driveshaft.jpg (88.2 KB, 6 views)
MidnightSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:36 AM   #52
MidnightSun

After trying heat on those bolts along with spray i gave up to try seperating it at the ujoint. After taking those couple caps off, with a few taps, i got it seperated and pulled from the back of the transfer case. Have the tbars loosened up.

Tomorrow ill work on getting the tbars out, switch out the carrier bushing, and get everything disconnected from transmission to be ready to pull. I may end up pulling the transfer case and tranny seperately to make it a bit easier getting it all out.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #53
MidnightSun

After dropping the torsion bar, crossmember, and making sure everything was disconnected from the transmission; I was able to get that pulled.

Since I didn't have a Trans jack available at the time, I used a combination of strapping a 2x6 to the bottom and a couple other jacks to stabilize as I got it separated and lowered. It was still taller than the frame, so I slid the jack out from under it, slid the transmission out from under and was able to pick it up(with help) to move it between the bays in the garage.

I'm halfway thinking of taking off the transfer case when I install, but how difficult would it be the get it back together? I can't recall where the top bolts would be in comparison to the opening up top.

Tomorrow ill take off the clutch so I can actually see the rear main and check for leak, it seemed dry though. I did notice a little wetness at the back cam cover on the drivers side. So I'm gonna pull that off and reseal it.

Oh and I also got the new carrier installed on the driveshaft. Don't have a picture of the new one, the old was barely hanging together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (90.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg carrier.jpg (91.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bellhousing.jpg (87.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg backhead.jpg (89.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg trans.jpg (95.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-11-2021, 12:28 AM   #54
MidnightSun

So, i got the clutch and flywheel out. There was no oil on the clutch assembly and didnt seem to be any oil on the back of the flywheel. Im not convinced that my rear main was leaking. The seal was a little wet in the small groove on the inside lip, im thinking that would be from assembly.

I took off both caps at the backside of the cams, even though there were drips on just the one, and applied some liquid gasket.

Test fit the headers. Took the passenger side back off since it didnt look like the starter bubble would fit past it when putting the trans back in. Left it kinda sitting up there so i wouldnt have to snake it completely through. Didnt have my phone, so no pics as of now.

Ill have to take a look at pictures from before, but it seemed like there was more gunk and black in the bellhousing than when i put the engine back in. Im gonna take this opportunity to replace the gasket at the front of the trans if that is indeed the case.

Some input from you more experienced folks.
1. Do i just leave the rear main alone?
2. Any other things that i may not have thought of that i should check now that i have the trans out?
Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 AM   #55
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Always do a rear main when you have the chance whether it needs it or not. You don't want to live with regrets.
*1990 WD21 Pathfinder Frame
*2004 Xterra
*2010 Infiniti G37x

Nissan Truck Videos (Builds-Racing-Shows-Tech)
https://www.youtube.com/c/NissanTruckguy
IG@ rainmaker_d21

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #56
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,418 Posts

No help from me on where your leak is located, but on the headers: you might need to get a few bolts that match the header bolts. It's hard to squeeze the headers over all of those header studs. Use the front ones to hang the headers from and use the bolts in those tight spots.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:33 AM   #57
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,033 Times in 933 Posts

You will be able to stuff it in with headers on it. Way easier than putting headers on with the engine in the truck.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:49 AM   #58
MidnightSun

@Foul_mouth - if i didnt recently do it, about 350 miles, i would just do it for sure. When i was getting a leak during break in, mentally went to the main. From what ive read later i may want to seat it further out anyways. I had pressed it to the lip on the inside of the retainer

@jp2code - i had to replace some of the exhaust studs when i was doing the swap. They turned out to be a little shorter, mostly because they didnt have the star head on them. I was able to get them on without having to pull any of them. It may be a different story when im getting the passenger side back on after getting the transmission back in.

@deerhurst - i ended up pulling the transmission. I really didnt want to pull that diff again, haha. I could see it being a real pita to get them on with everything in the bay though. I was able to put them up from below.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #59
MidnightSun

The other day, after hours of cursing the world, i got the transmission back in. The next day i got the driveline hooked up, suspension back in, and everything else squared away and torqued up.

Had to do a little surgery on the u joint. Some of the roller bearings had fallen out when disassembling, luckily i could locate all of them.

I was being dumb and didnt measure the bolt of the torsion adjuster, i did mark the splines though. I went by the fsm (88 is whats available), and i cant see how the specs are correct. Can someone verify that? Spec for the bolt is 3" above the nut, backed that down to 1.75". The posture numbers still seem to be way off, the wheel clearance is better. Ill have to get some pictures of that in a couple days.

Pacesetter must have updated their design. No fabrication required on the headers. Theres not much clearance at trans mount. I think there should be enough though.

I sourced the plugs for the emissions bungs. The stock egr pipe was too short and the end going into the manifold is smaller. I couldnt get the stock one out at first, so i ordered a replacement. Theres no way its the right part, completely different bends and length. Rather than dealing with it more ill delete the egr system. Right now ill just plug the exhaust and get on making a block off plate for the valve later.

And pictures!

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Oops!

How battery cable routed to starter?

Y pipe fit

New carrier

Cat enjoying the dash while in the garage

Broke off the wire to the oil pressure

Fixed

Header fitment

Header fitment

Last edited by jp2code; 02-18-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #60
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,418 Posts

What headers did you use? They look shiny and chrome. Doug Thorley?

I'd usually go through and fix the images so they are embedded in your post, but I'm operating on a laptop screen and keyboard today. Better than a phone, but it's still slow.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
MidnightSun (02-18-2021)