Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #31
Totalld21

Vehicle: 1996 d21 xe, 4x4, v6

I read somewhere that the VG33ER had different sized pistons. So that being said I should technically be able to get the engine running and if i grab the harness and ecu from The xterra.

I really do want to make the supercharger work, I just have to figure out the hood situation
Totalld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 AM   #32
kenabi
That guy what does stuff.

Vehicle: 88 hardbody 4x4 v6 (stolen) - 04 frontier cc/sc 4x4

SC Fronty/x's have tougher blocks, sliiiiightly different pistons, and different ecus and injectors, as well as the intake to throttle body parts. TBs are identical as far as I've been able to tell.

Things to note, mpg with these is terrible. 11-14, depending on how heavy your foot is. RELOCATE THE KNOCK SENSOR. Cannot stress this enough. Auto trannys from the SC models shift a little above 2K. Not sure if that matters to you. These things run quad cats and the ecu will put you in limp mode if it doesn't have the right o2sensor feeds. (Ask me how I know, Heh.) 15 gallons of gas gets me roughly 200ish miles.

MUST USE PREMIUM FUEL. Using regular WILL cause detonation and eventually kill the engine.

That's said, my 95mph top end aside, this thing can keep up with an m4 with ease, and those are twin turbo with twice the hp. And it beats them to that speed cap with 4wd gear ratios to boot.

Good luck.

Last edited by kenabi; 09-21-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fail.
kenabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #33
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,418 Posts

How'd I miss this thread?

I've got the link to my build in my signature, but it looks like you are way past that now.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #34
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,033 Times in 933 Posts

Kenabi, I've never heard the blocks were different? How so? My JDM VG33 looks stout and has even a bigger cradle than my VG30. I have heard the SC models have a slightly lower compression ratio.

You get 11-14 out of your VG33? Man that doesn't sound good. I get 17MPG out of mine. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing though if I'm towing fairly heavy it does go down to 14-15 though.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #35
jp2code
Software Developer

If I did a lot of driving around town, I am sure my MPG would drop. Maybe even down to 14. It probably gets that or worse when I'm pulling a load.

When I got my VG33e, I had originally planned to keep the newer intake, injectors, and all that mess. When it came to connecting everything, though, the newer stuff had a lot more electrical/emissions connections. OBDII, I guess. Every connection seemed to use a different shape connector, too. Like OGB mentioned, the injectors wouldn't work with the VG30e fuel rail. The VG33 fuel rail had different connections and electronic connections that my VG30 did not.

All that to say, the Supercharger is going to require the VG33 top end. As long as you understand that you are going to need to make splices and you are OK with that, you should be good.

My guess? If you stick with the VG30 ECU, you would have to locate and block off the extra sensors that the VG33 ECU uses.

John, I think your lower fuel mileage might be because your JDM cams, like the Schneider cams that I went with, are optimized for a higher RPM range than your HG43 axle runs your engine at. Again, that's just another guess. You could try running the engine in a higher gear to test that theory.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #36
Totalld21

Vehicle: 1996 d21 xe, 4x4, v6

I currently have the 2 engines.

The SC xterra motor.
The regular vg33 pathfinder motor.

I have to spend another $500 for the harness and ecu out of the xterra if I want it to make everything easier.

Would I have to cut any automatic transmission related wires from the ECU or just leave it, and as long as it idles and revs my manual trans will do the rest of the work?

Plan B - is I get the pathfinder motor in to my truck now and get back on the SC motor in the spring. I was going to just put the xterra block in with the d21 intake before I realized the compression was different.

Has anyone used an aftermarket ecu on a VG or is better sticking with OEM?
Totalld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:29 AM   #37
kenabi
That guy what does stuff.

Vehicle: 88 hardbody 4x4 v6 (stolen) - 04 frontier cc/sc 4x4

You'd really need to replace the whole top end of the SC engine to get away with using it without the SC ecu, or an aftermarket.

Blocks are functionally identical from SC to nonsc. Ones just made from a stronger alloy or forged better or some. I forget the exact but the SC blocks can hold more boost than they're built with, while a normal block can handle moderate boost and not much more. Build a boost monster from a SC block and the internal moving bits will break before the block should.

And yeah, the SC engine ecu have the usual host of o2 and emissions sensors. So you'd need to maybe deal with that.

Orrrrrr.... See if it has the valve notched pistons, if not source some. Use those with the block and the vg33 accessories and brackets and use the 30 top end. Means you don't need to mod much and the wiring part is mostly already done. Means no obd though.

If it doesn't have the valve notched pistons you can get them from a vq30/33 out of a late 90s maxima. Put in and voila, no more interference engine. Keep the SC rods in, they're stronger, and maybe pistons as a backup?

Other random info: spark plugs for SC models suck in non-SC engines. Injectors are higher flow rated. If you lose the SC but keep the fi system you'd need to source injectors.

If you decide against the actual SC itself, rebuild it and you can flip it for around 800-1000 with ease. There aren't a ton of them around. If you keep it on it, you might still want to have it rebuilt so you know how much of that 100K before next rebuild you have left.

Ultimately, if you don't plan on using the SC engine as is, you'll should probably just use the pathy 33 and either use the SC in a project or sell it to someone who needs a new SC to replace a blown one, or someone who will project it. They're uncommon turning into rare, and pulling it apart seems a waste.

But that's just my take.

Tranny wise, the autos have a tcm, which talks to the ecu a little, so you should be mostly okay without that. The reason they have autos though is how fast the switch in gears is on boost. I've gone from first to od in under 4s.

There's some minor work to be done regardless. The pathy engine if using as is, will still need the ecu and the harness redone at least partially. Gauges aren't fully compatible, but some can be made so by swapping say, the water temp sensor. Things like that.

Swapping the 30 top end onto the pathy gives you a slightly better engine than stock, better exhaust studs, and most of the work is mechanical in nature.

The SC should 100% be looked at as a project. Possible, but be forewarned.

Haltech makes an ecu for the vg33 in the fairlady z's. Haltech knows their stuff.

Deer: you don't have a supercharger on top with bigger injectors :P

Last edited by kenabi; 09-29-2018 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Moar.
kenabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #38
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,033 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If I did a lot of driving around town, I am sure my MPG would drop. Maybe even down to 14. It probably gets that or worse when I'm pulling a load.

When I got my VG33e, I had originally planned to keep the newer intake, injectors, and all that mess. When it came to connecting everything, though, the newer stuff had a lot more electrical/emissions connections. OBDII, I guess. Every connection seemed to use a different shape connector, too. Like OGB mentioned, the injectors wouldn't work with the VG30e fuel rail. The VG33 fuel rail had different connections and electronic connections that my VG30 did not.

All that to say, the Supercharger is going to require the VG33 top end. As long as you understand that you are going to need to make splices and you are OK with that, you should be good.

My guess? If you stick with the VG30 ECU, you would have to locate and block off the extra sensors that the VG33 ECU uses.

John, I think your lower fuel mileage might be because your JDM cams, like the Schneider cams that I went with, are optimized for a higher RPM range than your HG43 axle runs your engine at. Again, that's just another guess. You could try running the engine in a higher gear to test that theory.

My cams are for sure happier at higher RPM than I drive and I'm sure my HG41 isn't helping that at all. I might try that next time I get the truck out for some.length of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabi View Post
You'd really need to replace the whole top end of the SC engine to get away with using it without the SC ecu, or an aftermarket.

Blocks are functionally identical from SC to nonsc. Ones just made from a stronger alloy or forged better or some. I forget the exact but the SC blocks can hold more boost than they're built with, while a normal block can handle moderate boost and not much more. Build a boost monster from a SC block and the internal moving bits will break before the block should.

And yeah, the SC engine ecu have the usual host of o2 and emissions sensors. So you'd need to maybe deal with that.

Orrrrrr.... See if it has the valve notched pistons, if not source some. Use those with the block and the vg33 accessories and brackets and use the 30 top end. Means you don't need to mod much and the wiring part is mostly already done. Means no obd though.

If it doesn't have the valve notched pistons you can get them from a vq30/33 out of a late 90s maxima. Put in and voila, no more interference engine. Keep the SC rods in, they're stronger, and maybe pistons as a backup?

Other random info: spark plugs for SC models suck in non-SC engines. Injectors are higher flow rated. If you lose the SC but keep the fi system you'd need to source injectors.

If you decide against the actual SC itself, rebuild it and you can flip it for around 800-1000 with ease. There aren't a ton of them around. If you keep it on it, you might still want to have it rebuilt so you know how much of that 100K before next rebuild you have left.

Ultimately, if you don't plan on using the SC engine as is, you'll should probably just use the pathy 33 and either use the SC in a project or sell it to someone who needs a new SC to replace a blown one, or someone who will project it. They're uncommon turning into rare, and pulling it apart seems a waste.

But that's just my take.

Tranny wise, the autos have a tcm, which talks to the ecu a little, so you should be mostly okay without that. The reason they have autos though is how fast the switch in gears is on boost. I've gone from first to od in under 4s.

There's some minor work to be done regardless. The pathy engine if using as is, will still need the ecu and the harness redone at least partially. Gauges aren't fully compatible, but some can be made so by swapping say, the water temp sensor. Things like that.

Swapping the 30 top end onto the pathy gives you a slightly better engine than stock, better exhaust studs, and most of the work is mechanical in nature.

The SC should 100% be looked at as a project. Possible, but be forewarned.

Haltech makes an ecu for the vg33 in the fairlady z's. Haltech knows their stuff.

Deer: you don't have a supercharger on top with bigger injectors :P

Not yet. Collecting parts for a blower and I've been talking to JWT. I have the NA injectors and fuel rail and need the plenum for a blower, an ECM and the bigger injectors. I have everything but the MPFI ECM to go from "I" to "e".

Making 2 different blocks just doesn't make sense, especially with producing vehicles like that. I just can't fathom that Nissan would use a completely different block like that (different materials and such) because it adds so much more complexity to the process.

The 3.0 top end is worse than the 3.3 top end. The OWO heads found on a 3.3 flow much better and water jackets are completely different requiring custom stuff to even try to make it work. Its been done but looks like a PITA. The USDM 3.3 does have tiny cams and even 3.0 cams make a big difference. The exhaust studs on a 3.0 are smaller and more prone to breaking than those on a 3.3.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #39
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,763 Posts

I can definitely attest to the VG33ER being a gas hog. I was getting about 15 if I recall correctly. That was after I replaced the knock sensor. When I drove it home from Kentucky with the bad knock sensor I got significantly worse mileage.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #40
jp2code
Software Developer

From Sept 21st:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
John, I think your lower fuel mileage might be because your JDM cams, like the Schneider cams that I went with, are optimized for a higher RPM range than your HG43 axle runs your engine at.
Today, Sept 29th:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
My cams are for sure happier at higher RPM than I drive and I'm sure my HG41 isn't helping that at all.
You know, it was about a week later, I was driving down the road and suddenly I though, "Hey! John has the HG41, and I'm pretty sure I put down HG43 in a thread somewhere. I bet he is sure to point that out."

LOL

You found the thread for me.