Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #23421
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
I'm talking "Stock" paint. Did Nissan use teal on the D21, when new?
Unfortunately, they used it extremely liberally. I swear 90% of them were fucking teal
Old 09-10-2021, 01:44 AM   #23422
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

Yet I can't seem to find any teal parts for mine. Been looking for 6 months. I seen them everywhere before I needed them.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #23423
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
I'm talking "Stock" paint. Did Nissan use teal on the D21, when new?
Yes, teal was a stock color on the D21. Paint code:

FN4 Blue Green/Vivid Teal Pearl

(Translation: "Blue or Green, YOU decide...Vividly Ugly as Hell.")

The only reason it worked was because the Teal Terror lived in Seattle, and the Major League baseball team color was...you guessed it...TEAL.

Oh, on the Xterra it isn't the seat belt warning light staying on. It is the passenger side front airbag light. The one on the instrument panel. Stays on. Must have an issue or something. I will have to start looking at the FSM.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 04:36 AM   #23424
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Y’all

So driving my truck today and hear some “grinding” when I apply the brake pedal. Got that high pitched sound when the metal indicator(s) are starting to touch the rotor(s).

I haven’t pulled the front tires off to visually inspect or measure the pads or rotors yet. But looking at Rock Auto for replacement parts. I’m looking at getting the Dynamic Friction drilled and slotted rotors for the fronts along with the Centric “Long Lasting Posi Qiuet semi-metallic pads for heavy duty/towing use.

Anyone ever use this combo of brake parts on their truck? Are drilled/slotted rotors able to be turned? I’ve never used a rotor like this before. I just want good stopping power. I will keep the OEM calipers and possibly change out the master cylinder too.

I tow my double jet ski trailer with my toys that weighs about 1,900 lbs. The OEM set up never did a good job of braking when going downhill to a complete stop.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #23425
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Yes, teal was a stock color on the D21. Paint code:

FN4 Blue Green/Vivid Teal Pearl

(Translation: "Blue or Green, YOU decide...Vividly Ugly as Hell.")

The only reason it worked was because the Teal Terror lived in Seattle, and the Major League baseball team color was...you guessed it...TEAL.

Oh, on the Xterra it isn't the seat belt warning light staying on. It is the passenger side front airbag light. The one on the instrument panel. Stays on. Must have an issue or something. I will have to start looking at the FSM.
Congrats on the Xterra. A few of my neighbors have them, and they seem to like them.

Now you get to enter the world of troubleshooting problems on modern vehicles lol. Most cars made after about 2005 have all of the various electronic modules on one or two communication networks so they can all talk to each other. I'd recommend picking up a scan tool that supports CAN. A basic OBD2 reader will still be able to talk to the ECU and tell you why the check engine light is on but won't be able to talk to most of the other modules (such as the airbag computer). Something like this would probably work just fine. You can usually get them a bit cheaper if you wait until the end of the year and buy the outgoing model.

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-NT624...248655&sr=8-42

Granted they're quite a bit more expensive than a basic code reader but it's the sort of thing that over time will pay for itself many times over. Generally speaking, if a car is new or smart enough to know it's VIN one of these tools will be able to auto ID what kind of car it is and do a full scan of all the different modules. Some of the higher end ones can also do things like program new keys and rewrite the VIN inside the computer, but for heaven's sake don't spend that much coin on one of these.

Also, there is/was a huge recall for Takata airbags found in most Japanese vehicles (and a bunch of others too). I'd make sure your xterra isn't included as part of the recall, or if it is that it's already been taken care of. No reason to mess with it if the manufacturer is legally obligated to fix it for free. A lot of cars also have a occupancy sensor in the passenger seat that will disable the airbag if the seat isn't occupied or if whoever is sitting in it is under a certain weight. You could always try sitting in the passenger seat and see if the airbag indicator changes from off to on.

Last edited by SBJ; 09-10-2021 at 05:38 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #23426
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
So driving my truck today and hear some “grinding” when I apply the brake pedal. Got that high pitched sound when the metal indicator(s) are starting to touch the rotor(s).

I haven’t pulled the front tires off to visually inspect or measure the pads or rotors yet. But looking at Rock Auto for replacement parts. I’m looking at getting the Dynamic Friction drilled and slotted rotors for the fronts along with the Centric “Long Lasting Posi Qiuet semi-metallic pads for heavy duty/towing use.

Anyone ever use this combo of brake parts on their truck? Are drilled/slotted rotors able to be turned? I’ve never used a rotor like this before. I just want good stopping power. I will keep the OEM calipers and possibly change out the master cylinder too.

I tow my double jet ski trailer with my toys that weighs about 1,900 lbs. The OEM set up never did a good job of braking when going downhill to a complete stop.

EBC's brake pads are some of the best out there, IMO. They cost a bit more but the difference is unreal. I don't run anything other than EBCs in any of my vehicles, 4 wheeled or 2 wheeled.

OldGreyBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:17 AM   #23427
Krazy_krackman

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan d21 pickup 2wd 2.4l

Im actually having to wait on mine got a flat and need new tires. Where would a good place be to go to get majority or parts need for these beautiful trucks
Krazy_krackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #23428
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_krackman View Post
Im actually having to wait on mine got a flat and need new tires. Where would a good place be to go to get majority or parts need for these beautiful trucks
What kind of parts? Regular maintenance type parts rockauto.com is almost always the cheapest. Pretty much everything else you’ll be getting second hand so check out Craigslist or Facebook.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #23429
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Y’all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
EBC's brake pads are some of the best out there, IMO. They cost a bit more but the difference is unreal. I don't run anything other than EBCs in any of my vehicles, 4 wheeled or 2 wheeled.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Just a few questions for Ya…

- Is it true that EBC(I think I would get the green stuff IIRC) pads eat rotors?
- If I ran the EBC’s, should I still run slotted, drilled, slotted and drilled or should I run regular flat non-modified rotors?

Thanks! Looking to purchase the parts next week and do the brake job next weekend.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #23430
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_krackman View Post
Welcome...

You should search out the junkyards in your area. Some of the parts are NLA and the yards may be the only option... FYI...
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote