Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #1
Yamero
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Usa
Posts: 45
Vehicle: Nissan d21 1991
Thanks: 15
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump problems?

The truck started this noise yesterday. Is this the fuel pump? Is it going to give out soon? I don't know how to upload a video so I put it on a youtube link. This is taken by the rear wheel passenger side



Thanks for the help!

Last edited by jp2code; 05-15-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Yamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:23 PM   #2
PorknBeans
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Where I can see the air I breathe...
Posts: 784
Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all
Thanks: 82
Thanked 235 Times in 195 Posts
Default

I hear a whirring sound in the video.

I’ve never known a fuel pump to drone on. It will usually just work or it won’t. But I will say it’s not the fuel pump.

Could possibly be the drive shaft’s carrier bearing. But the truck would need to be moving. I believe your truck is stationary in the video.

If you buy a mechanic’s stethoscope. You can place the “listening tube”(for lack of a better description) directly where you want to listen and observe and pinpoint noises to make a solid decision if the component is making the noise. A stethoscope really is a valuable and inexpensive troubleshooting tool. A piece of fuel, vacuum or water line can also be used. But for hard to reach places. This tool is what I choose. Easy to reach places to listen to like fuel injectors, alternator etc. and a piece of hose works just fine. Hard to reach spots…stethoscope.

But I can’t think of any other component (s) in the rear that have moving parts, except the EVAP solenoid or the EVAP Vent Valve attached to the Charcoal Canister. These parts wouldn’t make any noises but a clicking sound and wouldn’t be heard over the engine noise. But your truck might have these parts located under the hood. Mine’s out rear.

Maybe someone else can come up with something else that can help you further…
__________________
PorknBeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:40 AM   #3
Yamero
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Usa
Posts: 45
Vehicle: Nissan d21 1991
Thanks: 15
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
I hear a whirring sound in the video.

I’ve never known a fuel pump to drone on. It will usually just work or it won’t. But I will say it’s not the fuel pump.

Could possibly be the drive shaft’s carrier bearing. But the truck would need to be moving. I believe your truck is stationary in the video.

If you buy a mechanic’s stethoscope. You can place the “listening tube”(for lack of a better description) directly where you want to listen and observe and pinpoint noises to make a solid decision if the component is making the noise. A stethoscope really is a valuable and inexpensive troubleshooting tool. A piece of fuel, vacuum or water line can also be used. But for hard to reach places. This tool is what I choose. Easy to reach places to listen to like fuel injectors, alternator etc. and a piece of hose works just fine. Hard to reach spots…stethoscope.

But I can’t think of any other component (s) in the rear that have moving parts, except the EVAP solenoid or the EVAP Vent Valve attached to the Charcoal Canister. These parts wouldn’t make any noises but a clicking sound and wouldn’t be heard over the engine noise. But your truck might have these parts located under the hood. Mine’s out rear.

Maybe someone else can come up with something else that can help you further…
thanks for the information. Yes, the truck was stopped, it seemed to me it came from the gas tank, but I will look to get a stethoscope to pin point the issue.
Yamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:00 AM   #4
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer
 
cadillacdude1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Age: 50
Posts: 10,713
Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanks: 461
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,271 Posts
Default

Get a mechanic stethoscope and see what you hear with the probe touching the tank.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 52
Posts: 11,196
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,838
Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default

Is your truck also running in this video?

If not, does it run?

Assuming it is the fuel pump (can't tell), I'm trying to think of what would cause the fuel pump to run on like that. Perhaps the fuel pressure regulator is bad, so the fuel pressure is off. Or somehow the EVAP canister is sending too much fuel back to the tank, so the fuel pump has to continually run - but you would have a code if the EVAP were messed up.

When was the last time you pulled the codes?

Walkthrough: Checking Error Codes
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) • Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Yamero
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Usa
Posts: 45
Vehicle: Nissan d21 1991
Thanks: 15
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Is your truck also running in this video?

If not, does it run?

Assuming it is the fuel pump (can't tell), I'm trying to think of what would cause the fuel pump to run on like that. Perhaps the fuel pressure regulator is bad, so the fuel pressure is off. Or somehow the EVAP canister is sending too much fuel back to the tank, so the fuel pump has to continually run - but you would have a code if the EVAP were messed up.

When was the last time you pulled the codes?

Walkthrough: Checking Error Codes
Yes, the truck is running, but not moving on the video. It still starts on the first try. Does the code give a check engine light? I haven't checked the codes. Btw this is a 1991 base model 4 cylinder.
Yamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 52
Posts: 11,196
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,838
Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamero View Post
Yes, the truck is running, but not moving on the video. It still starts on the first try. Does the code give a check engine light? I haven't checked the codes. Btw this is a 1991 base model 4 cylinder.
No, the only thing that throws the Check Engine Light (CEL) is emissions issues. They were federal requirements.

And a code reader won't work, either. Code readers are for OBD2 vehicles, and Nissan didn't do that to the Hardbody until 96.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) • Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:42 PM   #8
smith
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 61
Vehicle: 93 nissan d21 2WD KA24E Manual
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have a 93 ka24e. Charcoal canister has no code, it's not monitored by the ecu (not solenoid operated). Mine is under the hood. There is a vacuum/air line going to the tank for vapors to escape the tank and for air to enter the tank (replace the fuel that is pumped out). This could cause a vacuum leak (noise). The fuel pump starts pumping with the key in "On" position and runs for, I believe 5 seconds to pressurize the system, and then shuts off. Check if you hear this noise without the engine running, I hear my pump pressuring the system from inside the cab without the engine on.
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.