Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-30-2022, 09:27 PM   #23891
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: 1994 Pathfinder XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I've just been having crappy luck finding A/C shops that know what they are doing in this town. I'm sure some do, but I have not gone to those yet.

I have another Xterra that has an A/C "cold" line that gets hot to the touch when it is turned on. I don't know what's going on with it, either.

I think I really need to find a decent A/C shop, but every one that I ask about adding compressor oil or pulling a vacuum just looks at me like I'm from Mars. That really doesn't leave me with a good feeling.
I'd think Texas would have tons of places that specialize in A/C. One of the lines is supposed to be hot while the A/C is running. That's how all the heat from inside the cab makes its way out to the condenser. After it's evaporated the refrigerant has to be turned back into liquid refrigerant (and lose heat energy in the process) before going back into the compressor to start the cycle over again. If you ever go outside while the A/C in your house is running and feel around the sides of the A/C unit it'll be hot to the touch. Same idea.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:37 AM   #23892
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Joe, have you checked any of the Napa Auto Repair Centers in your area? (Not trying to plug them on purpose, but trust those businesses better than most.)

Caught an old business associate today at his junkyard and asked about 4 Legos he has. No center caps and 2 of them are a bit rough. Can't decide if they're worth $200.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:28 AM   #23893
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
Joe, have you checked any of the Napa Auto Repair Centers in your area? (Not trying to plug them on purpose, but trust those businesses better than most.)
Do they have a store locator? Zip 75601
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:04 PM   #23894
rustytexasD21

Vehicle: 1992 2400 manual 2wd

Facebook memories popped up the Nissan I had 9 years ago. Sheesh it was rough. Compliments of the previous owner. I did add the redneck bumper & h3 wheels :| 3DB74F3C-5E57-488D-93E1-198C5B7088A4.jpeg
rustytexasD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #23895
kingcab1987

Vehicle: 1987 King Cab SE 4x4

I started taking off my air filter to replace the spark plugs but I cracked the short breather hose that goes from the driver's valve cover to the air cleaner on my '87 VG30i... anyone know where I can find a replacement? I think the part # is 11825-12G00 but doesn't seem to be available anywhere, and it looks like the two ends are different diameters so I cant just replace it with some stock hose.
kingcab1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:47 PM   #23896
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan HB KC 4x4 5.3V8

JP, if you have ever used canned air or circuit cooler in a can, you have felt how the rapid evaporation after leaving the nozzle feels cold. That's how an air conditioner works in your truck.
The compressed gas (compressed to a liquid state) comes from the compressor (aka the "can") and passes through the expansion valve. (aka the spray nozzle)
the spray goes into the evaporator under the dash where it absorbs heat and blows cool air in your face.
The gas then leaves the evaporator and heads back outside to the condensor in front of your radiator where the airflow blows the heat out of it. It goes through a drier to absorb any moisture, and back into the compressor.

On the output side of the compressor, there is high pressure ("high side") typically over 225 psi.
On the input side of the compressor, there is low pressure (low side) of about 25~40 depending on the system and ambient temp.

If the low side were to drop really low, that would indicate a blockage in the expansion valve. Like drinking a banana milkshake and getting a chunk of banana stuck in the straw. Vacuum increases, which means the pressure moves closer to zero.

You have the opposite. Your low side pressure is getting very high. I'm no expert, but that could mean that you have too much freon in the system and the safety switch is shutting it off, or that there is a problem with the compressor. It may be bypassing internally or something. You really need a high side gauge as well to compare the two.

Keep in mind that when the compressor is not on, the high side and low side will average out, causing a rise on the low side and a drop on the high side until they are equal.
While your compressor is running, the low side pressure should drop and hold steady.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:17 PM   #23897
PaulC

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

One more thing off the list. My valve cover was leaking horribly so while I had it off to change the gasket and went ahead and repainted it. Something it needed desperatly!

Old 05-31-2022, 06:25 PM   #23898
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
Your low side pressure is getting very high. I'm no expert, but that could mean that you have too much freon in the system and the safety switch is shutting it off, or that there is a problem with the compressor. It may be bypassing internally or something. You really need a high side gauge as well to compare the two.
Yeah, I just need to find someone to work on it before I screw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
One more thing off the list. My valve cover was leaking horribly so while I had it off to change the gasket and went ahead and repainted it. Something it needed desperately!

That looks great, Paul!
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PaulC (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:56 PM   #23899
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,102 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcab1987 View Post
I started taking off my air filter to replace the spark plugs but I cracked the short breather hose that goes from the driver's valve cover to the air cleaner on my '87 VG30i... anyone know where I can find a replacement? I think the part # is 11825-12G00 but doesn't seem to be available anywhere, and it looks like the two ends are different diameters so I cant just replace it with some stock hose.

IMHO, find some oil resistant hose off the same ID and run that. See what you local parts house has on hand.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:40 AM   #23900
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

Been working off/on for that pesky P1447 EVAP code...

I can’t find a problem in the EVAP system. All components pass the tests easily. I even hooked up my smoke machine today to check for leaks in the hoses and metal tubes. None.

But a confusing situation has reared its ugly head(I may have pin pointed the issue upon earlier testing). But I would like to poll the members for an interpretation of the FSM’s explanation of how to check and what to see from the EGRC-BPT valve.

EC-182 for P0400 code...

Question: Is air supposed to be allowed to pass from the unplugged port with a hose(like in the test photo character) with the other port plugged and vacuum applied to the bottom port?

Yes or No?

Thanks for helping!

You can click on the thumbnail image for a better photo.

I believe I know the answer. I think maybe it’s the way it’s written or how my brain is interpreting the procedure.

To further add information to this post. My code reader says that the EVAP System is in Closed Loop and the CAT & EGR are the only 2 systems in Open Loop and I believe these 2 systems go hand in hand. CA law says I can have 1 System in Open Loop to pass smog. But I prefer them all closed.

The scanner isn’t showing a P0400 DTC Code. But the reader shows it in Open Loop. So hence the question and testing of the EGR System.

Last edited by PorknBeans; 06-01-2022 at 01:51 AM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote