Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
240pickup

Vehicle: 92 hardbody

Couldn't have said it better myself, the current set up on the trucks now give it that "truck feel" where as this will give you more direct feed back from the road and should be that much more responsive and over time the the stock setup with it's extra moving parts wear out giving it that slight wander some trucks have. on top of all this it makes adjustment that much easier when I put it on the alignment rack

As far as the steering angle goes I I feel more then fine running this with stock knuckles, I will most likely pick up a set of high steer knuckles for the sake of upgrades, but I don't feel like they need to be run on anything that is Strickly a daily
240pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
asr321
LSx DRIFT MONSTER

Vehicle: 86.5 hardbody

also depends on what your truck has currently. mine had a manual box that was 6 turns of the wheel lock to lock. i went to the rack and its now only 3 turns lock to lock. and only slightly less steering angle with stock knuckles over the box. now that i made brackets to move the tie rod mounting closer to the ball joint i have extremely quick steering and way more angle than stock.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #13
fbccars924
Trash Panda

Vehicle: 92 SE V6 5Spd(Carlos, vg33 Swapped), 90 pathy, 91 c2500 service truck, 19 sentra, 07 yaris.

ASR your truck is just sexy from all angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Case View Post
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
i put 3k on it with a horrible rod knock before it barfed up a tranny.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
fbccars924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
asr321 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #14
asr321
LSx DRIFT MONSTER

Vehicle: 86.5 hardbody

thats before it was cleaned up and painted nice haha
Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
TommyBoy

Vehicle: 1988 D21

any update on getting around the engine mount?
TommyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #16
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

Vehicle: TURBO HB & 2015 FORESTER XT & OLD 944

for the steering shaft you have to make a new drivers side engine mount. i cut that out and mocked up a engine mount with a piece of 1/4 in 3 in wide flat stock with relief cuts to make a surface for the stock motor mount to bolt to at the same angle as the stock mount. no more stock engine mount, just a bolt and nut and two generic poyurethane pucks. i couldve made a captive nut that slides i guess. i pushed the stock motor back 1.5in.
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #17
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

a buncha other people on here swapped in a rack connected to the center crossmember. with simple brackets.
Edit or delete this
LikeShow more reactions
Reply 48m
John Anthony Franco
John Anthony Franco i looked at the miata rack, the 240sx rack, the mustang 2 foxbody, the 240z and a bunch of other rack and pinions before i settled on the same one alec uses. the internal pivot point for the inner tie rods were not ideal for bumpsteer on all those other racks. you need something thats pretty narrow. so i used a bugeye rack just like Alec Robbins and Tom Nardone. i happened to have a bueye rack available so i used that instead of a faster sti rack. the sti rack has a little les throw anyway.
Edit or delete this
LikeShow more reactions
Reply 44m
John Anthony Franco
John Anthony Franco then i mounted it a lil differently from everyone, i wanted to add some stiffness and didnt trust using the bolt in center crossmember as the only means of holding the rack. i cut up a subaru k member for the rack mounts and got poly rack bushings and mounted the rack so it would drop out of i needed to replace it or work on it. once i measured for bumpsteer by varying the height of the rack and pinion and measuring toe at different suspension travel and using a gktech bumpsteer kit i had the height of the rack where i wanted it for very little bumpsteer and slight toe out as the suspension compressed.
Edit or delete this
LikeShow more reactions
Reply 39m
John Anthony Franco
John Anthony Franco then i measured for ackerman angle which is good for parking but not great for driving fast. ackerman is when the inside wheel has more steering angle than the outside wheel for tight corners. i aimed for slightly positive ackerman angle at full lock (for parking) with zero ackerman everyowhere else. with that dialed in i had the location of the rack. the frame had these open spots where the idler arm and the sttering box used to reside so i made the rack mount a bolt in k member using these original locations, so the steering rack is mounted securely in the frame, and the rack can come out from the bottom, and the crossmember with the rack mounts can also be unbolted from the frame so you can still work on the motor and drop the oil pan etc.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

i used this
https://us.gktech.com/high-misalignm...ends-12mm-14mm