Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 AM   #23431
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Congrats on the Xterra. A few of my neighbors have them, and they seem to like them.

Now you get to enter the world of troubleshooting problems on modern vehicles lol. Most cars made after about 2005 have all of the various electronic modules on one or two communication networks so they can all talk to each other. I'd recommend picking up a scan tool that supports CAN. A basic OBD2 reader will still be able to talk to the ECU and tell you why the check engine light is on but won't be able to talk to most of the other modules (such as the airbag computer). Something like this would probably work just fine. You can usually get them a bit cheaper if you wait until the end of the year and buy the outgoing model.

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-NT624...248655&sr=8-42

Granted they're quite a bit more expensive than a basic code reader but it's the sort of thing that over time will pay for itself many times over. Generally speaking, if a car is new or smart enough to know it's VIN one of these tools will be able to auto ID what kind of car it is and do a full scan of all the different modules. Some of the higher end ones can also do things like program new keys and rewrite the VIN inside the computer, but for heaven's sake don't spend that much coin on one of these.
Well...that Foxwell is just under $200. I can afford that...

NEXT month. Too much coin out the door THIS month doing The Big Vehicle Sell and Buy. (Sell truck, buy tent trailer and Xterra) Small glitch for one day transferring the title on the Xterra. Licensing Agency bitched because I wrote up the Xterra at a thousand bucks for you-know-what-reason, and they said the state valued it at $8500. They gave me a form and I had the seller sign it, then they allowed the paper to go through. Washington state...they like to screw you in the behind every chance they get...and don't even bother offering you some KY Jelly to soften the blow. (Insert swear words here) Well...I know all the rules too. I used to sell cars baby. (Insert evil laugh here.) They would have charged me almost five hundred to transfer ownership, even AT $3000. At 8500 we are talking almost a thousand. Yeah, right. Like I would do that. This state is one of the highest on taxes and they STILL can't fix the roads, keep all the ferries running, or finance the schools properly. When I got back with the seller, and after he signed the paper from the licensing agency, he finally told me why he sold the Xterra so cheap. He has three vehicles and he lost his job. He has a wife and two kids. He needed the money like yesterday because his rent was overdue. I kinda wondered if he was hiding something about the condition of the rig because he wanted 3500, but jumped right on my 3000 offer without hesitation. Which I thought was sort of weird. But it turns out he had a boatload of receipts in the glove box going back four years and was doing the good maintenance faithfully. He was simply broke. I sort of felt sorry for him, but not THAT sorry. Business is business.

I did fix a few things on both the Xterra and the trailer today. (I hope you folks don't mind me continuing to post in the hardbody thread. Trust me...I have hardbody withdrawal going anyway. )

The headlights were cloudy and yellowed. So I tried the Chris Fix You Tube method on them. It worked. And I have a set of LED headlight bulbs coming on Tuesday, also I am replacing all the interior overhead lights with LED's. That's it on the LED conversions for now, but eventually I will get around to the remainder. Except maybe the dash area lights. I think the Xterra's are bright enough for me.

Been driving this rig around town and starting to get used to it. Transferred the titles and the registrations on both the Xterra and the tent trailer today. Cost $350 total for both. And that is cheap in this cheap-ass state.

This tent trailer has a huge, deep trunk area in the very front. You lift the cover to access it for storage. You can fit three large coolers in it, plus a ton of other stuff. As far as the trailer itself, it is really big, about 20 feet long unopened. (1996 Grand Tour series- 'Key West') Anyway, the cover for this storage trunk area had a few cracks and holes in it. I filled them in with JB Weld and then sanded them down level. White paint tomorrow. When I opened up this trunk, I found the optional 'outside screen room' package inside. Bunch of poles and a huge screen room thing that hooks to the canopy.

My fiancee (Susan) is already shopping for the utensils and stuff we will put into it for camping. A lot of the crap I bought for camping trips will be incorporated as well. The 50-watt solar panel, a fold-down TV antenna (supposedly 150 mile range), the portable power station, and interior lighting will go LED of course. I may replace the Coleman inverter with a high-end one I have that does 750 watts in AC load and has two 12 volt DC outlets. Also got an adapter for the tent trailer's seven prong plug so it can connect to the Xterra's four pin flat connector. I suggested to Susan we could go with a smaller TV. But hell no...she wants that 32 inch TV in the trailer and a DVD player. Also wants me to install this stereo I have. Okay...fine. I will do that.

I'm putting my airbed with the built in pump and a Coleman Montana tent up for sale soon at Craigslist and at Facebook Marketplace. Don't need them any more.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-12-2021 at 07:26 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #23432
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Yall

^^^You’ve been busy!

Good deal on the Xterra. I’ve never sat inside of one. Let alone driven one. I always see that vehicle driving around Los Angeles a lot. So there must be a lot of them still on the road. I know that Xterra is with the right owner.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…I’m still shopping for brake pads and rotors.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:06 PM   #23433
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

Yep the green stuff is what you need for light trucks/SUVs. They do wear rotors faster than other stuff (that's to say maybe like 10% reduction in rotor life) but you get much better braking. It depends on how hard you ride the brakes as well, if you're a binary driver where the gas and brake are either full on or full off, you'll rip through rotors with a fury, but if you're easy on the brakes and make use of engine braking you probably won't notice a difference.

I've been running EBC on my girlfriend's Sorento for the last 100k miles and she's still running the same ones.

Regarding the type of rotors, that's more of a driving style thing as well. I run drilled and slotted on both my cars because I have a few local roads I like to smash on so having brakes that will cool quicker is a plus. If you're just doing normal street riding IMO I'd just go with the plain boys. The lady's sorento just has solid flat rotors on it and it still stops fine.

If you get cheap drilled/slotted rotors they're actually more dangerous than flat ones, in that the heat cycles can lead to cracking. If you get quality rotors (like $400 a pair) they're great.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #23434
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
^^^You’ve been busy!

Good deal on the Xterra. I’ve never sat inside of one. Let alone driven one. I always see that vehicle driving around Los Angeles a lot. So there must be a lot of them still on the road. I know that Xterra is with the right owner.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…I’m still shopping for brake pads and rotors.
It all depends on how much you want to spend. When I had the TT, I was just using the stock rotors and high quality rear shoes and front disks. It stopped just fine. These trucks don't weigh that much. My vote goes to saving your money on that and upgrading your lighting or a new stereo/speakers instead. Or going to 15 inch wheels with some hot shot tires. More rubber on the road will also help you stop better.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #23435
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, Yall

Great suggestions guys!!!

Much appreciated!!!
Old 09-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #23436
rustytexasD21

Vehicle: 1992 rustyboi

idk how to rotate pics but I just posted on Facebook marketplace. I know its a long shot but MAYBE someone will trade me for some buckets

800C3364-CBDD-4A08-91BF-20A787FB2B48.jpeg

ED536B25-AB01-4BB3-B69D-ADA73CFA5293.jpeg
rustytexasD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:19 PM   #23437
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Well...that Foxwell is just under $200. I can afford that...

NEXT month. Too much coin out the door THIS month doing The Big Vehicle Sell and Buy. (Sell truck, buy tent trailer and Xterra) Small glitch for one day transferring the title on the Xterra. Licensing Agency bitched because I wrote up the Xterra at a thousand bucks for you-know-what-reason, and they said the state valued it at $8500. They gave me a form and I had the seller sign it, then they allowed the paper to go through. Washington state...they like to screw you in the behind every chance they get...and don't even bother offering you some KY Jelly to soften the blow. (Insert swear words here) Well...I know all the rules too.
It'll be worth it in the long run for sure. And it'll work on any other cars you might have (I think I saw a 3rd gen avalon in another one of your posts. Excellent cars, btw.). Having lived there for many years I can confirm that WA has some of the cheapest used cars in the country. I sold two of them for $300 while I lived there and bought another one for not much more than that. At least that's what it says on the bill of sale. We used to have one of those trailers when I was growing up. They're actually made by Fleetwood and Coleman stamps their name on it. The water heater was a pain to get lit but nothing else ever went wrong with it other than the water tank freezing and cracking, but that wasn't the trailer's fault.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #23438
rustytexasD21

Is this guy nutter butters or no

D215809F-BA6D-4269-ADCC-FD102A920F0A.jpeg
Old 09-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #23439
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,033 Times in 933 Posts

Insane 11k for a 30 year old mini truck.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #23440
rustytexasD21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Insane 11k for a 30 year old mini truck.
The fb people are talking bad to him and calling him a boomer