Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #23391
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

I'm hoping to retire by 40. I put 8% of my income into my retirement account and 20% into other investments. I've been working in IT for over 20 years already and am pretty tired of this stuff.

In other news, I finally pulled the passenger door card and got after that lock that hasn't worked in like 2 years. Ordered that stupid little plastic piece (and a spare). I'll be glad to have that door unlockable from the outside again.

While I'm in there I'm going to deaden that door and replace the weather stripping. Debating on going ahead and replacing the window regulator as well. I have to help the window up by grabbing it and pulling up while holding the button down so I'm sure it's about dead.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #23392
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I put a hair under 10% of my income to retirement. Should be pretty good when I've got 30-35 years left in my career! Maybe I'll even be able to retire early!
Smart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Then you start LOOKING for shit to do LOL.
Nope, never had to do that... with an acre, a garden, chickens, dogs, cats, and the house... plus a wife that still works... I have a full day, every day I choose. My side work is the mowers where I DO get supplemental $ that support my habits. Life is complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
I'm hoping to retire by 40. I put 8% of my income into my retirement account and 20% into other investments. I've been working in IT for over 20 years already and am pretty tired of this stuff.
Yep, takes time and due diligence... helps if you can "SEE" where you're headed. I started in IT, back in 86'. Got out when I saw "the kids coming" and tech changing.

The "life is good" series of apparel has a phrase... "Do what you like, like what you do"... try to live it, it works if you know what you "like to do".

Rhetorical question for you all to think about:
What do you LIKE to do?
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #23393
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,033 Times in 933 Posts

40 sounds nice. I have to many expensive hobbies for that.

I've been driving the truck now and then. It's been going like a Swiss watch.

I'm with SiFi. I will go insane or be the really cool old fart down the street when I retire. I don't idle. At all. Always have to be doing something. It drives the girlfriend nuts. Sit down for a movie and 10 minutes in I'm on my phone and building something while watching the film.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #23394
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

No buyers yet on the Teal Terror, but I dropped the price in the Yakima and Seattle ads to 4800 OBO. We will see. Meanwhile, Susan and I are going to look at a 1996 Coleman tent trailer this afternoon. One of the high-end ones and the pictures look real good. They only want 2700 on it, which is pretty good price these days. Canvas, body, and interior look damn near new.

Yeah. Retirement can get boring real quick. Now I know why old people hit the road so much in their RV's or volunteer in their communities. It isn't because they want to have fun or are nice people. It's because they are bored to death LOL.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:37 PM   #23395
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
No buyers yet on the Teal Terror, but I dropped the price in the Yakima and Seattle ads to 4800 OBO. We will see. Meanwhile, Susan and I are going to look at a 1996 Coleman tent trailer this afternoon. One of the high-end ones and the pictures look real good. They only want 2700 on it, which is pretty good price these days. Canvas, body, and interior look damn near new.

Yeah. Retirement can get boring real quick. Now I know why old people hit the road so much in their RV's or volunteer in their communities. It isn't because they want to have fun or are nice people. It's because they are bored to death LOL.
WOW, guess the market for used is not what I expected.
Keep us posted on the trailer...

The real question that some "HUMANS", who gain age, fail to consider... what are you going to retire to? The couch and TV? REALLY? ...well, I would hope not! I'm setting us (both) up to fully "R" in the next 10 and we have lots to do and look forward to.

...all in the vision, planning and execution... & hope'n that life doesn't get in the way.

Saw a sticker that stated,
"We Plan, God Laughs"...
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:58 AM   #23396
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Ive seen the housing market slow way down. Wonder if the car market is doing the same thing.

In general people have gone insane.

I was working with a guy that was 73 when he fully retired. He said he had to keep going to work because he would either go crazy being bored or hurt himself in his shop. Last I heard he was running his turbocharged side-by-side at the dunes and his grand daughters didnt want to ride with him because he rolls the thing too much! hahaha! He is also building a turbo 57 chevy pickup with a strait 6. He is a cool dude.
VG33i
Old 09-08-2021, 03:42 AM   #23397
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I save about the same % of my income each year for retirement, although in this economy it still feels like I can't afford anything no matter how much I save. Right now the big thing for me is saving for the down payment on a place. But again, with the way the market is right now I'm not in any hurry. It's just not a good time to buy things in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
My side work is the mowers where I DO get supplemental $ that support my habits. Life is complicated...
If I'm fortunate enough to live that long and be able to retire I hope I can be one of those old guys who still gets baked and plays video games, amongst other things. I'll probably always fix cars as a hobby. I used to do it almost like a second job but to be honest there really isn't much money in it and you'll work way too hard for how much you actually make. Now it's just something I do for fun. As long as they buy the parts I'm good.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Susan and I are going to look at a 1996 Coleman tent trailer this afternoon. One of the high-end ones and the pictures look real good. They only want 2700 on it, which is pretty good price these days. Canvas, body, and interior look damn near new.
We used to have one of those. It was a 2004, I think. Anyways, a word to the wise: they don't do well in wet climates. The interiors will mold like crazy over the winter unless you store it inside. I doubt it would be a problem in Yakima but definitely something to keep in mind. If you take it out camping in the rain, set it back up and let it air out for a few days afterwards.

Last edited by SBJ; 09-08-2021 at 03:47 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:01 AM   #23398
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

The economy is garbage unless you are a supplier right now. My work is completely overwhelmed with orders. We could work at our current pace with tons of overtime for more than 12mo if we stopped taking orders today. It's nuts. The inflation is nuts. The housing market has kinda peaked. It'll fall again, just a question of when. Some places are cheaper than others. My house was a $200k house when I bought it. My parents just sold a tiny crappy condo at 1100sqft in California for more than twice what I paid for my house. They just sold a similarly sized but much older house in the same city for over 4x what I paid for my house!!! It's insane!
VG33i
Old 09-08-2021, 04:09 AM   #23399
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan D21, '87 Mercedes 190D Turbo, '10 Mercedes E350 AWD, '16 Suzuki GSXS1000

I have so many hobbies and projects laying around unfinished... dozens of video games left unplayed or unbeaten. I'm pretty sure there's not enough time left in my life right now to finish everything I've got right now lol.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #23400
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
The economy is garbage unless you are a supplier right now. My work is completely overwhelmed with orders. We could work at our current pace with tons of overtime for more than 12mo if we stopped taking orders today. It's nuts. The inflation is nuts. The housing market has kinda peaked. It'll fall again, just a question of when. Some places are cheaper than others. My house was a $200k house when I bought it. My parents just sold a tiny crappy condo at 1100sqft in California for more than twice what I paid for my house. They just sold a similarly sized but much older house in the same city for over 4x what I paid for my house!!! It's insane!
Susan bought a house in the retirement community we live in now three years ago for a mere $108,000 and put a $42,000 down payment on the place using some of the money she got from selling her small farm here in Yakima. In this place, you own your home as well as the land it sits on. Today it is valued at twice that much and homes coming up for sale in here sell in less than a week. Our total payment on the mortgage with taxes and insurance, and including the HOA fee (includes garbage, water, and sewer) comes to less than $750 a month.

We're in a good position with all that and pretty happy. We did buy the tent trailer today and got the price down to $2,400 from 2,700. I am already cleaning and modifying it extensively using some things I already had sitting around from camping purchases at Amazon. TV, a roof antenna that folds down, a stereo system, solar panel, etc. I see the same trailers are selling for around five to six grand so things are looking up. Susan is real smart and we are like two peas in a pod on nearly everything.

Meeting her at the airport in Phoenix was the best thing that ever happened to me. Not because of the money or the financials, but because we are tuned in to each other and my last girlfriend spent the final seven years we were together sleeping downstairs on the couch. And then working my butt to the bone every day cleaning 5000 square foot luxury homes. I finally said ENOUGH. This was why I finally dumped her. I don't stay where I'm not wanted, as the saying goes. And I don't stay where I'm just being used. No worries though. Former girlfriend will be fine. She has great income and failing that, a very rich mother who is coming up Thanksgiving to pay for everything needed to move her to SoCal for good. She is from Vista, CA anyway...was Miss Vista of 1978, and mom will probably introduce her to some retired US Marine guy. Mom is the widow of a decorated Marine officer who served in Vietnam.

'The universe' says this is the way things were supposed to end up anyway. Still no bites on the sale of the truck, but I recently lowered the price to $4,800 or best offer. We will see. Ads run for another three weeks and I think someone will finally snatch it up. They really should. It's a nice rig with zero issues. I will like buying an Xterra to haul the tent trailer, but I will certainly miss the truck. Like just about every Nissan I've ever owned since the 80's, I left it better than I found it. And when you own and drive these classic rigs, that is the MAIN thing. You do the best you can to keep the legacy going for the next generation. I hope someone young and smart picks it up, if possible.

Some pictures of the camper, and a new one of how the LED lights up front on the truck REALLY look since I did the full LED conversion. It definitely lights up the road.

You just KNOW I am going to modify the hell out of that thing. Those were pictures from the ad. It already looks better than the pictures but I still have a few days' work ahead. Susan will handle the interior domestic stuff. I am also switching all lighting over to LED. Of course.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-08-2021 at 08:50 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (09-08-2021)