Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
luketeh13

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan pickup 2WD ka24E
Default KA24E gremlin

Hi I've been chasing my engine problems for months now, now that my truck hardly runs anymore I didnt have to chase as hard.. ha get it? Long story short, it is misfiring really bad all around, definitely does worse in ambient colder or hotter temperatures. Also rough idle and stalling. Things were ok for a while but got progressively worse once it started getting colder here in NC. I finally took it to a mechanic, they were unable to figure out the problem and suggested that it could be the PCM. I don't think they dealt much with nissans and the mechanic adjusted the timing without asking, was trying to telling me it was set at 0 degrees when I had it set at 13 degrees (just right of 4th mark on crank) Anyway I was barely able to make it home from the shop. I am considering sending the computer in somewhere to be reprogrammed or might just get a new one cuz it seems to be about same cost.
luketeh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp

LOL, It's a 97 with OBDII, have someone pull the codes for free, (AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc.). Then report back here with the results. Don't go back to that mechanic, find someone who's better at what they do.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,350 Posts

Yeah, if the ECU (not PCM) is bad, there will be a code.

I'm going to guess the Crankshaft Position Sensor, which means the distributor is bad. If it were an older truck with the throttle body, I'd be telling you to look at the Wax Idle Solenoid, but I don't think your truck has one of those.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #4
luketeh13

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan pickup 2WD ka24E
Default additional info

thanks for responses. The only codes that have been present are a P0446 which has been there for years/ no relation to issue. and a camshaft position sensor code that was stored in system and showed up on CEL only a couple times, which is why i replaced distributor because the sensor is in there. New cap/rotor plugs wires, fuel filter and pump. New upstream 02 sensor, new cat, checked tps, coolant ts, cleaned MAF, new air filter, timing checked, 175 compression on all 4 cyl (according to mechanic), Put in timing chain piston spacer kit from mr1jim. cleaned EGR valve. Checked wiring up to computer. The truck is haunted lol idk what the issue is. Started out as hard misfiring/momentary cutting out at low rpms after warmed up accomponied by rough idle and stalling when coming to stop. issue evolved into a hesitation/stumbling misfire at hard low rpm acceleration instead of previous issue. Recently the two issues combined and I can hardly drive down the road without jerking like crazy. Im just gonna try for new computer cuz idk what else to try short of an exorcism lol.
luketeh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,350 Posts

Are you sure it was P0446 and no typo in that? P0446 is for the Evaporative Emission Control System (EVAP) Vent Control Circuit Malfunction.

AutoZone - P0446: EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM VENT CONTROL CIRCUIT

In the link above, AutoZone claims their tool can determine exactly what component is messed up.

And the distributor you put in: What brand was it? Or was it one out of a parts truck?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

If the Evap system is clogged, truck will hardly run. Check your gas cap seal. That not working will cause more problems then you can imagine. It's a pressurized system and work unless it is. Properly.

Not all shops know how to deal with these trucks, but you are lucky to have one with the OBD2 system. Have to find the right shop and get a diagnosis. A good one with people who know what they're doing.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 129,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote