Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
BStallion

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan D21
Default UNLEASHED D21 Hardbody

I had the opportunity to pick up a '95 Hardbody 5speed this past weekend. Supposedly the ECU shorted out and its been sitting for 2 years. My plan is the get it running and use it as a daily driver for now, I'd like to use it as a part time autocross vehicle too.

The first thing I did was get the car home on Saturday, that's all I had time to do before it got dark. I spent Sunday cleaning it, it was very dirty and needed it bad. After getting it clean I was able to see what I had to work with and what I'll need to get for it, so I came up with a list for starts.

At minimum I'll get a new battery, give it a full tune up, new brakes, and fluid flush. This will be a very mild build, I have two others going on right now too, an FD rx7 and S30 280z. The body is very straight and in good shape, the worst is all the patches of surface rust, I see it as a good opportunity to learn body work and paint. The truck is all there, the only thing really missing is a headliner and that's no big deal, its even equipped with A/C.

Other things I'd like for it are a rear swap bar, bucket seats, center console, speakers, hand brake, wheels/tires, electric steering, new battery, S14 short shifter, and paint. Not all in that order and over a course of time that is. I need to open the ECU and make sure its even bad before ordering a new/used one. I pulled the cover off it and it looked good from the outside, besides some surface rust on the brackets. This is my starting point, pictures and videos below.

As it sat for 2 years

Loaded it up and took it home

After a little cleaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h5NFarfnWw&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNO82Vg7No&t=204s
BStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Good patina. Cleaned up nicely. Id name it mossy if it were mine.
*1990 WD21 Pathfinder

Nissan Truck Videos (Builds-Racing-Shows-Tech)
https://www.youtube.com/c/NissanTruckguy
IG@ rainmaker_d21

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
supersayianjim
ka-t pathy

Vehicle: wd21 pathfinder 1987

good clean up, but you have a long road ahead of you...
-450wally pump
-full 3" exhaust
-holset hx35
-1kcc bosch ev14 injectors
-Nismotronics ecu
-Arp main, head, rod bolt studs
-cometic mls
-decked refreshed head
-.10 over cast piston rebuilt bottom end
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
BStallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul_Mouth View Post
Good patina. Cleaned up nicely. Id name it mossy if it were mine.
Thank you, I started calling it the Rickety Rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
good clean up, but you have a long road ahead of you...
Thank you, I sure do.

Just to see what would happen I put a battery in and tried to start it. The accessories worked and came on but no start.

From the start I knew the truck would need the ECU replaced, I removed it to check it and from the outside it didn't look bad. Before buying the replacement I opened it to see what it looked like inside, that confirmed all I needed to see. I found one in the sale section jp2code had listed.

I put that one in and still no started but I was getting some noise that sound like it was coming from the starter so I took the passenger tire off and pulled the starter out, tight fit. I took the starter to AutoZone and it tested bad so I picked up a new one. After putting the new one in I would get a "click" coming from the starter.

I took a breaker bar and socket to the harmonic balancer and turned the engine a little then it would slowly turn over when trying to start. I was thinking maybe the battery was weak and put it on a jump but same thing. To take a brake from trying to get it started I figured might as well change the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Thinking that may have done the trick I tried to start it again but it still turned slowly.

Next I put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and turned the engine by hand again, it turned with ease. I attempted to start again and it fired right up. I successfully got the engine to run, if it was a video game I feel like that's the moment I would have leveled up, just a joke.

I let the engine run long enough to warm the oil up and drained the oil. The filter was a struggle, took a long time to get that thing off. It got damaged and most of it broke off. I was doing a lot of pulling and pushing so wanted to get the tire back on and changed the brake pads before putting the tire back on. I sprayed PB Blaster to let it soak over night hoping that would help. I changed the fuel filter since I couldn't do anything with the oil filter. Next morning after it still wasn't coming off. I ended up taking the alternator off to get the last little bit of filter off, and it worked. Sucks it took so much work and so much time just to get it off but the engine hasn't run for over 2 years so hopefully by running regularly it won't happen again.

As of today I have a running truck, I even moved it under its own power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOO8a1MLVw

youtube.com/uunleashedd
instagram.com/bstallionrx
Old 04-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

awesome. keep up the good work.
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #6
BStallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
awesome. keep up the good work.
Will do.

First thing I got around to doing was changing out the exterior window stripping, the old one was rusted and bent towards the end of the door. Since I'll be using this truck as an everyday driver I wanted a working radio and speakers, I had some old good working speakers laying around and hooked them up for a quick sound test.

I went to AutoZone for some new belts, it sounded like to old worn ones were a little noisy. While I was getting belts I also picked up a new stereo and harnesses. I took care of replacing the belts, it was easy. After the belts I wired up the new stereo and speakers. I notched a scrap piece of plywood to mount the speakers in and they sound good. I'll get the proper piece that hold rear speakers when I come across one.

The brake pedal was going straight to the floor, it was pretty soft. I checked the reservoir and it was low, so I filled it up and left the cap off. I got some help and bled all four corners starting from rear passenger side working to front drivers side. Now the brake isn't soft and the truck stops when the pedal is pressed.

I got it insured along with the license plate and registration. This was supposed to just be a no effs given work truck but I couldn't let it stay ragged out. I cleaned the interior a little better than I did last time, the dirt was horrible but now I can see a blue floor. I might even put a new interior in it later. I can see myself slowly bringing it back to life in between other projects and making it a nice truck to be proud of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEfdlH44wwE
Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Mazdaspeed6

Vehicle: 1997 base model Hardbody

Digging the rx 8 shift knob
Mazdaspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

That Ecu looked as if it had been a flood vehicle.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
BStallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed6 View Post
Digging the rx 8 shift knob
I put them in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david29 View Post
That Ecu looked as if it had been a flood vehicle.
It looked pretty bad.

The truck is less dirty and runs, but the inspection is out of date. I thought I checked all the lights but missed the license plate lights, the bulbs were missing and I couldn't get a valid tag. I ordered some universal trailer lights and also got new tail lights, headlights, and signal lights. They came in within a week and I got that changed out fairly quick. The headlight combo switch wasn't working correctly, I ordered a new one and it works perfectly. I went back with everything working and got my tag. Now I've been using the truck daily. I put an order in through Rohde for some seat brackets, next thing I'm doing is bucket seats, I picked up some 350z seats. I went to a Datsun/Nissan meet and have the video below, no Hardbody showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-n4NzP-Po&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJ3yCU6js0&t=3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9ql8QQVxY&t=134s
Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
BStallion

I got a deal on some 350z seats locally, they are a bit dirty but should clean up. There weren't a direct fit or even close, that would have been too convenient. I shaved some excess bracket off the seat and bolted them to Rohde Fab universal brackets, which bolts to the factory locations.

My temp gauge wasn't working, it always stayed on "C" since I got it running again. I tried cleaning the plugs and still didn't work. After research and reading I found that a bad thermostat could be a cause besides a bad sensor/sending unit. I got a new thermostat and as I was going to replace the old one I found out there was no old one. The new one went in and I let the RTV cure for a day. After curing I started the truck to let it run a while, the gauge now works. To me that's another step closer to becoming a better truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QhPLfV0fTE&t=5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zPGj8A8sfQ&t=7s