Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
nbarr7655

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 4x2 L4
Default Anyone Ever Seafoam?

Hello all! First of all let me say that I am really glad I found this forum. Got myself a sweet little Nissan D21 less than a week ago from a friend of the family. It's a 1988 with 83,000 miles on it!

Anyway, the truck sat for at least a few months that I know. The previous owner for it kept it VERY well maintained mechanically and I have all service records for it which is awesome. Yesterday I was at Autzone getting some spark plugs and the guy offered me some Seafoam. I know all about the stuff but was wondering if you guys think I should use some in the gas tank? I only ask because the truck was sitting for some time.

Also, when sitting in neutral (5 speed manual) I will notice the truck idle up and down. Not so low that I think it will stall or anything like that but it does go up and down...possible reasoning for that?

Thanks all!
nbarr7655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,281 Posts

the idle issue.........sounds like it could be a few things. seeing how your new to the hardbody, you need to take the time to get familiar with the ECM system which is very simple. it can diagnose most problems with how the truck is running and it will show you the codes with 2 flashing lights. all that information is located at http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20905

and the seafoam? great stuff. i added some to my tank and seafoam also has a can now that has an induction tube included. i ran that can through the brake booster vac line and man you should have seen the shit it blew out the pipe. it runs totally different as well.

and your plugs..........hope you got NGK. most nissans despise anything other than that brand. dont ask me why, but they just do not run well with any other plug for some reason.

it would not hurt to change the fuel filter after you run a tank of gas through the truck, just in case anything was settled in the old filter. these trucks run forever, and with 83k miles, yours is good to go for a quarter million more miles with no problems at all. well almost no problems.......they rust very badly in the snow belt. that is the one major flaw with the truck. nissan didnt do a thing to prevent the frames from rusting.

and welcome to IN.

need pics of the truck.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
nbarr7655

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
the idle issue.........sounds like it could be a few things. seeing how your new to the hardbody, you need to take the time to get familiar with the ECM system which is very simple. it can diagnose most problems with how the truck is running and it will show you the codes with 2 flashing lights. all that information is located at http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20905

and the seafoam? great stuff. i added some to my tank and seafoam also has a can now that has an induction tube included. i ran that can through the brake booster vac line and man you should have seen the shit it blew out the pipe. it runs totally different as well.

and your plugs..........hope you got NGK. most nissans despise anything other than that brand. dont ask me why, but they just do not run well with any other plug for some reason.

it would not hurt to change the fuel filter after you run a tank of gas through the truck, just in case anything was settled in the old filter. these trucks run forever, and with 83k miles, yours is good to go for a quarter million more miles with no problems at all. well almost no problems.......they rust very badly in the snow belt. that is the one major flaw with the truck. nissan didnt do a thing to prevent the frames from rusting.

and welcome to IN.

need pics of the truck.
I didn't get NGK plugs this time around but on the next change I will for sure. I wasn't aware that these little trucks liked those best, now I know haha. I may pick up some seafoam as well then, won't hurt. As far as the fuel filter goes it's in his logs that it was changed about 8,000 miles ago. Should I still change it? As far as rust goes, it does have some on the body. In patches around it and around the wheel wells. Hell, the wheel well in the bed has a nice size hole all the way rusted through. The good news is, taking a look at the frame it's still a nice black with (from what I can tell) pretty much no rust on it.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,599 Posts

If you have the A/C turned on, the engine idle will go up whenever the compressor kicks in.

It also goes up when you turn the wheel - if you have power steering.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
nbarr7655

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If you have the A/C turned on, the engine idle will go up whenever the compressor kicks in.

It also goes up when you turn the wheel - if you have power steering.
This beauty has no A/C lol. And it idles up and down when not turning the steering wheel either. Just sitting still.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
97stocker

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan D21

Possibly your idle air control valve. You can try cleaning it with carb cleaner, but you have to be careful not to get any on the electrical part.

You'll see all sorts of black crap come out if it hasn't been cleaned/changed recently. Lol
97stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
TommyBoy

Vehicle: 1988 D21

my 88 does the same up and down idle, ive soldered the crimp connections i found in the engine bay, that didnt fix it.

the idle air control valve isn't electronic on the Z24 engines, ive cleaned mine out and still no luck; and finding one in stock somewhere is rather hard.

I dont know about yours nbarr7655, but i took all the emissions out of my truck, so i think thats what my cause, but it also wouldn't hurt to replace vacuum lines. thats sometimes a cheap and easy solution
TommyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #8
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,281 Posts

i would change the filter just for piece of mind. things settle and move around when its been parked for a while then driven again.

sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
Fanophins

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody SE 4x4 king cab

You said it sat for a while so I wouldn't lose any sleep over the idle,it probably just needs a good ride on the highway. I love seafoam it definitely will help clean the motor if you put a can in a full tank of gas. I agree with caddie on the fuel filter and you might put half a can of seafoam in the crankcase and run it for about 100 miles and change the oil. You have a lot of miles left if you just keep up with regular maintenance. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Fanophins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

nbarr, try disconnecting your oxygen sensor and secure the wire where it can't short out - see if the idle changes.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote