Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-21-2020, 12:23 AM   #1
Stinky

Vehicle: 86 2wd 720, 86 4x4D21
Default T-Belt Install, what would you do?

I am working on a '96 Mercury Villager (a Nissan Quest) w/the FWD 3.0 V6.

I am using a Gates belt kit. It has the lines on it for the crank mark, and the cam marks.

Before removal, I set the motor w/the crank to TDC w/the dimple in the crank's T-belt "gear" lined up w/the notch in the oil-pump. I noticed that the front, (driver's side in a D21) cam was a little bit retarded from the mark and marked the distributor's rotor spot (btw, it is real close to being in the middle of it's adjustment slot. I also marked the rear cam w/a Sharpie.

I installed the new belt, which is marked w/lines that coincide w/the marks on the 3 cogs/gears.

The front cam is not in the same spot as before, when I took it apart, it seems like it is 1 tooth advanced as the cam is now advanced from the mark and advanced from where it was when I took it apart.

I turned the motor 2 turns, same thing. I turned it back to where it was. I can't see the rear timing marks....but my Sharpie marks line up (it is in the same spot as when I took it apart).

I loosened the dizzy...I can not get the sharpie mark, from the "Old" timing to line up, it lacks about 1/16" of being able to do it. The dizzy is turned all the way in the slot.

What I think that I am gonna do is disregard the lines for the front/driver's cam. That would put the dizzy back in the same spot as before and retarded from the marks (like it was when I took it apart).

Would you do that?

BTW, 43, I think, grooves from the crank mark to the cam mark, as it is right now. That is with the T-belt's lines lined up.

I just tried, I can not get it to load a picture.

Last edited by Stinky; 11-21-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:40 AM   #2
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro

We like imgur for photos.

If you put it together with the belt lines to the marks on the gears then spin it a few times it'll come back in alignment. It's a roughly 2:1 between the crank and cams so you'll have to spin the motor a few times before things line up again.

Why did you pull the dizzy? In the truck that has never been necessary but I'm unsure how things sit in the van.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
Stinky

Didn't pull the D...just loosened the retaining bolt and turned it to see if I could get the tip of the rotor to line up w/the Sharpie mark, that I made before I started taking it apart.

Now that I think of it, maybe I am OK. I'm not sure which timing mark I used. I think that I was on the 10 deg mark. At the time, I wasn't as learned as now, and didn't know which one was TDC.

When I pulled the covers, I had to turn it a bit to get it to line up (crank marks).
Old 11-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2012 370Z, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,714 Posts

You should always set the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke by physically verifying that the piston is at TDC with a wooden dowel, screwdriver, or similar. You can tell the difference between the compression stroke and exhaust stroke by the presence of pressure building in the cylinder with your thumb over the spark plug hole. If you’re on the exhaust stroke pressure can’t build because the exhaust valves are open.

The other marks surrounding the belt are just for reference. If the piston is at TDC on compression stroke, THAT is correct. The crank DOES NOT get moved to align anything once set to TDC. Align the belt mark for the crank first. The other marks on the cams can then be moved to line up with the marks on the belt if they’re off. Those marks on the timing cover just let you know if you’re in the ballpark.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
It's a roughly 2:1 between the crank and cams

more like EXACTLY two revolutions of the crankshaft to one revolution of the camshaft for 4-stroke engines
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 105K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 253K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 220K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (215K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Deerhurst (11-21-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 01:19 AM   #6
Stinky

Well, I was gone all weekend, and had about 2 hours of light yesterday, after work. I had the same today.

This thing is a beastie to work on. It just took me about 30 minutes to get one bolt in on the AC belt idler pulley. The others went right in. The problem is that it is up against the fender. There is not enough room to use a 1/4 ratchet on it...not enough room to go on.

What I was concerned about is the front cam is about 1/2 a tooth/cog advanced off the mark AND, you can't set it to line up w/the mark. It was retarded, by quite a bit, when I took it apart.

So, it is purring like a kitten now. I haven't driven it yet. I have wasps in the radiator. I don't know how they got in there. Maybe I left the cap off and they got in, or they were in the antifreeze...I can see 2 of em floating in there. I am not gonna worry about it.

Tomorrow, I'll get the under-carriage plastic back on and the wheel...that reminds me....I have a caliper to install.

I set the timing. The dizzy is oriented way dif in the slot.

Last edited by Stinky; 11-25-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

small note, you can always tell a cylinder is on the compression stroke cause you can rattle the valve rockers around by finger. there shold be no pressure on those from the cams.

is this a 24v motor? i know single cam heads with less than 4v/hole like to roll a little and can cause what you described. its why i always match mark the old belt and gears and then transfer the belt marks. sometimes they roll a half a tooth one way or another and you gotta rotate the cam to line up properly with the belt.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
Stinky

It is a VG3.0 (I think)....the same as in a D21 (except for the heads being non-interference).

Nope, only 12 valves.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #9
Stinky

Welllll, I drove it Thanksgiving morning. Going toward town, it went up the hill w/o downshifting, w/the cruise set on 65...it never does that. It always has to down shift. Then, I turned around and came over the hill the other way...same thing.

Also, it seems like, if you nail it, at 0 mph, that it takes off quicker...especially when on a hill (of which we have plenty.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

Stinky, I haven't forgotten about you. If I ever find a way to get that steering column and custom chain wheel to Colorado it's yours. Maybe we'll find someone on this forum who will be passing through Laurel, MS on their way to CO.
I keep hoping I'll get to make the trip, but events have not allowed.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote