Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hardbody Forum (D21) (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Front Axle Snap Ring Won't Go (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45189)

kenmack 02-27-2021 07:40 PM

Front Axle Snap Ring Won't Go

I have replaced my CV axle and the inner and outer wheel bearings including new races. The races seemed to be tapped home to the shoulders upon which they rest. Everything seemed to have been done properly with all parts in proper place, but I cannot get the snap ring back into place as its groove needs about 3/64" more exposure. This is the snap ring that goes on after the auto locking hub's inner brake and washer and just before the rest of the auto locking hub is put on the axle. Thank you.

kenmack 02-27-2021 07:44 PM

I've jacked up the suspension, tightened the bearing lock ring, pulled on the axle, removed, replaced washers and repeated. I'm at a loss now for what to do.

VOTS95 02-27-2021 08:25 PM

Did you compare the new bearings/races with the new ones?

It's been some time since I was in this part of my truck so I might not remember everything. But, when I was reinstalling my new bearings, I couldn't get everything to go back together. It turns out the bearings/races AutoZone sold me were dimensionally different than what came off my truck. I took the old bearings with me and went back to AZ. According to their system, they sold me the correct bearings. They pulled out some different part numbers they had in inventory and we found replacements that matched my old bearings.

Got them installed and everything was back to normal. I sold the truck to a friend and he hasn't had any issues with it.

The lesson I learned there is to compare what they give you to what came off the vehicle before you try to install.

VOTS

kenmack 02-27-2021 09:01 PM

I kinda did, but not to the degree perhaps necessary. I'll go compare the remaining set with the one I removed. I'll be back in a few minutes.

kenmack 02-27-2021 09:22 PM

The races were identical. Markings on them suggest that they were made by the same Japanese company. The outer bearing was identical, but the inner bearing was 0.053" shorter than the original so it seems there should be more space with the replacement in place than the original bearing.

kenmack 02-28-2021 03:17 AM

I took the knuckle off again and made sure the seals were seated well and then replaced it all. I'm still where I was before. Maybe I gained 1/64", but the snap ring still won't go.

cadillacdude1975 02-28-2021 05:09 AM

I bet the new bearings aren’t seated all the way. Mine was a pain in the ass after i changed the bearings. I had to keep spinning the wheel while loosening and tightening over and over.

kenmack 02-28-2021 05:45 AM

That might be it. The FSM say to tighten the retainer to about 72 ft-lb and then loosen and spin before tightening again. Does this sound like what you advocate?

kenmack 02-28-2021 05:45 AM

Imma hafta look it up again.

cadillacdude1975 02-28-2021 01:16 PM

Yes that sounds about right. It had me second guessing everything i did. I probably took it off and apart 2 or 3 times. Thank God i always order two sets of seals lol