Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   mysterious misfiring... (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45193)

tannerg1223 02-28-2021 04:39 AM

KA mysterious misfiring...

Hey guys! Im new to the forum so bear with me as I get used to the formatting. I own a '96 extended hardbody with the KA24E. I have big plans in the near future of installing a turbo and making the ultimate daily drifter. before such goals are achieved, I am slowly preparing the truck for the boost it will soon receive.

I bought the truck 4 years ago and have always had a slight misfire that's been plaguing my life. Ive replaced the fuel filter, distributer, did a timing chain and guides, spark plugs (iridiums) and wires, as well as the coolant temp sensor. Not to mention the copious amounts of fuel additives to try and clean my fuel system. I am stumped.

The miss is very subtle. So much so as that it doesn't throw any codes or give me a check engine light at all! It gets worse as I give it throttle or let off till about 3k rpms. Any help out there is much appreciated! I will try and answer as many questions as possible to help you guys further understand my dilemma...

tannerg1223 02-28-2021 04:57 AM

Important mods I've done to the truck are:
-exhaust, catback 2.5" to a cherry bomb and a blast pipe ran through the bumper.
-clamped k&n air filter to the stock intake, trashed oem.
-lowered on 3" blocks and torsions turned down
-I run shell rotella t4 15w40 for better lubrication and less wear

And that's about all the somewhat "important" factors to rule in. Before anyone asks, my truck has always missed, no matter what plug style I run. Coppers, silvers, iridiums...
-changed my distributer (the whole thing) twice
-changed spark plug wires twice
-thinking about gutting my cat...

89'HBV6 02-28-2021 05:35 AM

So, what plugs & wires? Yea, please be specific? Also, where did you buy them?

What distributor? Cap? Rotor?

Thanks..... and welcome!
just trying to cover a few bases

LugNut1990 02-28-2021 12:31 PM

Injector(s) in my KA24E.

tannerg1223 02-28-2021 03:09 PM

89’HBV6- oem wires and Bosch iridium. Correct heat range and gap also.

tannerg1223 02-28-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 (Post 546082)
So, what plugs & wires? Yea, please be specific? Also, where did you buy them?

What distributor? Cap? Rotor?

Thanks..... and welcome!
just trying to cover a few bases

As for the distributer, Iíve replaced the whole thing. Mine is a 96.5 model where the ignition coil and CPS are internally built to the distributer. Spectra power I believe??

89'HBV6 02-28-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannerg1223 (Post 546105)
89íHBV6- oem wires and Bosch iridium. Correct heat range and gap also.

OK, most recommend NGK... I have no input on Bosch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannerg1223 (Post 546106)
As for the distributer, Iíve replaced the whole thing. Mine is a 96.5 model where the ignition coil and CPS are internally built to the distributer. Spectra power I believe??

"Spectra power"? Is this the manuf? OEM or 3rd party, do you know?

Also, re-reading your OP, I now wonder about your air/fuel mix, since you're no longer running stock. More back pressure and different air intake can mess with the computer. Your thoughts?

tannerg1223 03-01-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 (Post 546116)
OK, most recommend NGK... I have no input on Bosch.

"Spectra power"? Is this the manuf? OEM or 3rd party, do you know?

Also, re-reading your OP, I now wonder about your air/fuel mix, since you're no longer running stock. More back pressure and different air intake can mess with the computer. Your thoughts?

From what I understand, spectra power is aftermarket with oem specs. Ordered via orielys. Also, Iíve ran ngk in the past and the issue persisted. Spark plug wires are OEM.:disagree:

tannerg1223 03-02-2021 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LugNut1990 (Post 546094)
Injector(s) in my KA24E.

Did yours have the same issue?

LugNut1990 03-02-2021 12:15 PM

The first one was a "skip" as I accelerated through about 2300 RPM that slowly got worse. Two later failures were evident at idle -- on recently due to lack of use!

Removing and cleaning/testing them, via the Youtube syringe/spray cleaner method, made each failure obvious. Be safe -- very flammable.

Do all the other maintenance anyway including checking for vacuum leaks. And easily could be another problem, of course.