Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wiring and Electrical (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Thoughts on amazon starters (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45564)

andrew1989nissan 06-09-2021 05:47 AM

Thoughts on amazon starters

well I had an issue with .y starter recently and had to throw in the old one, so I still need to replace it so the question here is has anyone gotten a starter from Amazon I had seen they've got a lot of 4wd starters at some really reasonably priced and a few that look like the ones from rock auto I was thinking about getting one but figured I'd ask if anyone else has had one

Cusser 06-09-2021 02:09 PM

Amazon and Rock don't make starters; I think Amazon pays for return shipping though.

Stuff like starters I get local, with lifetime warranty. My 1998 Frontier has a rebuilt starter from CarQuest though, installed about 2005.

alabama_lowlife 06-09-2021 05:06 PM

If I had the time to wait for shipping I would buy a 100% new starter from rockauto.

Deerhurst 06-09-2021 06:44 PM

Look like are are the same starter is a huge difference.

Go with a known brand new starter.

89'HBV6 06-09-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 550084)
Amazon and Rock don't make starters; I think Amazon pays for return shipping though.

I'm with Cusser on this... Amazon and Rock don't make starters

Please people, think about where you're getting your parts and who's making them. It's your time and money, spend it wisely...

ahardb0dy 06-10-2021 12:15 AM

No matter where you get the starter from do yourself a favor and only buy a NEW one. Too many problems with the reman starters, I mean a lifetime warranty is great if you want to become an expert at replacing the starter every year (or less)

PorknBeans 06-10-2021 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahardb0dy (Post 550105)
No matter where you get the starter from do yourself a favor and only buy a NEW one. Too many problems with the reman starters, I mean a lifetime warranty is great if you want to become an expert at replacing the starter every year (or less)

^^^THIS!

This is exactly what I was thinking...

Cusser 06-10-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahardb0dy (Post 550105)

My 1998 Frontier has a rebuilt starter from CarQuest though, installed about 2005. Now has 150K on that same starter.

In other words: it's a crapshoot. I did get a brand-new lifetime warrantied Autozone starter for our Yukon, and got free replacement unit 8 years later.

Reserector 06-10-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerhurst (Post 550093)
look like are are the same starter is a huge difference.

wut? :)

street_rulerr 06-10-2021 08:45 PM

i have an amazon starter and alternator that are 5yrs old. 0 problems and were 2/3 the cost elsewhere. even if i have to replace it SLIGHTLY more often its worth it to me for the shipping speed and cost. also there was no core to deal with. *shrug* convenience.

anyone that says stuff like OEM ONLY either intends to keep the truck for 15years or doesnt recognize that putting an OEM starter on a 20+yr old truck means the starter is gonna outlive the rest of the truck by a long ass time.

ahardb0dy 06-11-2021 12:23 AM

The starter I got from Rockauto, Pure Energy brand was like $100, no core, brand new, no problems, sometimes you can't wait for an order to arrive and you need a part right away, if that's the case get what you can, reman or new.

I personally have not had any good luck with reman starters, from one that lasted 3 days to it's replacement that lasted a week.

As I said, I would rather pay more if I had to to replace the starter once and forget about it, than get a reman with a lifetime warranty and have to replace it often.

OEM starters are reman's also but I believe Nissan has a better supplier.

Datsunbox 06-26-2021 10:52 PM

Reman denso best

diosmuertos 08-12-2021 07:43 PM

Just get it rebuilt by a local shop, it's around $100 and cheaper/better than Oreillys garbage