Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hardbody Forum (D21) (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Which Octane fuel for my hardbody? Timing Chain question as well? (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45707)

joey 07-31-2021 03:31 AM

Which Octane fuel for my hardbody? Timing Chain question as well?

Hi guys. Couple questions if I may in one post?

1. I have a '89 D21 that has an engine from a '86 D21.

So, since the '86 engine was carburetated (I was told) and the '89 engine has fuel injected throttle body, I was wondering if I should run ethanol free gas? or does that even matter? What grade of octane should I run?

2. Do I need to change the timing chain and guides at some point soon? The guy I bought this truck from said motor had about 106k miles on it.

dvdswan 07-31-2021 03:54 AM

You can run 87 octane gas, but cheap gas is cheap gas.

As far as the timing chain, only time it needs attention is if there is a rattle on start up, then the guides are wearing out.

Deerhurst 07-31-2021 02:00 PM

The 86.5 and 89 use the exact same throttle body and injectors. The engines are exactly the same in pretty much every way.

86.5 is fuel injected.

Run whatever fuel you can afford. It'll like non ethanol the best but it is not necessary.

Like DVD said, timing chain when you get startup rattle.

joey 07-31-2021 06:34 PM

Thanks guys!

89'HBV6 07-31-2021 07:17 PM

I'll back up what Deerhurst said... you can run non-eth but it's more pricey and really not necessary. Also, these truck were around at the beginning of ethanol, so they're good with any octane. Even 87.

BTW, nice beater you got there. (o: Gotta luv um when they don't die...

Deerhurst 07-31-2021 07:36 PM

Well, ethanol still eats the rubber in them eventually.

My truck loved non ethanol. Ran it in the south because it was so cheap. Cheaper than regular here. Was paying $1.80/gal at the reservoir at the time for non eth premium.

joey 07-31-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 (Post 551731)
I'll back up what Deerhurst said... you can run non-eth but it's more pricey and really not necessary. Also, these truck were around at the beginning of ethanol, so they're good with any octane. Even 87.

BTW, nice beater you got there. (o: Gotta luv um when they don't die...

Thanks! I sure do love it! I'm about to replace front brake line hoses, check bearings, maybe get some new brake pads if needed. Bleed all the brakes.

Deerhurst 07-31-2021 11:35 PM

Look into braided brake lines. The rubber ones can make the brakes feel mushy. I've heard the braided can help a bunch. I bet foul_mouth can comment on that. I'd expect him to have them on his autocross truck.

joey 08-01-2021 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhurst (Post 551736)
Look into braided brake lines. The rubber ones can make the brakes feel mushy. I've heard the braided can help a bunch. I bet foul_mouth can comment on that. I'd expect him to have them on his autocross truck.

Thanks I will look at the price. Good to know. I hate a spongy pedal

jp2code 08-01-2021 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 (Post 551731)
IAlso, these truck were around at the beginning of ethanol, so they're good with any octane.

I'm not trying to call you out, but these engines are not made for ethanol fuel.

Particularly, the rubbers on the injectors dissolve. It isn't as noticeable on the throttle body injectors because they are bigger, but the smaller multiport injectors use smaller rubbers that can start leaking faster.

Since 2010, I've had to replace all of my injectors 3 times. The new, replacement injectors are built to factory specs, which means the rubbers in them are still not ethanol resistant.