Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Interior & Audio/Video (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   AC Not working (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45446)

Salsapants27 05-03-2021 08:45 PM

AC Not working

I've been checking around some of the previous posts and still don't have a solid answer. I can press the ac button but I don't get anything lighting up. I also don't hear the compressor kick on, leading me to believe that the switch itself is bad. I have tried the cigarette lighter fuse, and that works just fine. I pulled it all out yesterday and it doesn't look like the ones i've seen on other posts.

Reserector 05-03-2021 09:37 PM

The fuse has to be good.
The blower fan has to be on.
The switch has to be good.

Cusser 05-03-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsapants27 (Post 548816)
I can press the ac button but I don't get anything lighting up. I also don't hear the compressor kick on, leading me to believe that the switch itself is bad.

Maybe and maybe not, for the switch itself being bad.

If you can jump the switch and it starts working correctly, then you'd be on the right track. You'll need positive voltage to the switch, and should be "passed forward" by an operating switch.

Since you didn't post what year, what engine, whether a Frontier, Hardbody, or a Yugo, not worth my time trying to guess.

One question though: does the blower fan work on ALL speeds???

Salsapants27 05-04-2021 12:53 AM

The fuse works, and the blower motor is working. I get excellent heat, just no cold air. I WAS driving on saturday night when it just started squeeling from nowhere. When I turned the ac switch off it stopped, which leads me to believe the switch itself just isn't getting the signal through.

Salsapants27 05-04-2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 548819)
Maybe and maybe not, for the switch itself being bad.

If you can jump the switch and it starts working correctly, then you'd be on the right track. You'll need positive voltage to the switch, and should be "passed forward" by an operating switch.

Since you didn't post what year, what engine, whether a Frontier, Hardbody, or a Yugo, not worth my time trying to guess.

One question though: does the blower fan work on ALL speeds???

Yes, blower fan works at every speed.

Tropicalcats 05-04-2021 07:46 AM

did you check the AC belt?

Cusser 05-04-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsapants27 (Post 548820)
I WAS driving on saturday night when it just started squeeling from nowhere. When I turned the ac switch off it stopped, which leads me to believe the switch itself just isn't getting the signal through.

Wrong conclusion.

When you turned off the AC switch and the squealing stopped, it means that ...
...your AC compressor has seized
...your AC idler pulley has seized
...your AC belt is slipping

Tropicalcats 05-04-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 548829)
Wrong conclusion.

When you turned off the AC switch and the squealing stopped, it means that ...
...your AC compressor has seized
...your AC idler pulley has seized
...your AC belt is slipping

agreed

Salsapants27 05-04-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropicalcats (Post 548825)
did you check the AC belt?

Just looked up the diagram and I see there should be three belts. When I looked underneath the other day I only saw two, and noticed the spot where the other should be. I'll go take another look.

Salsapants27 05-04-2021 08:50 PM

I think i found the issue. When I popped the high side cap off, I hear a faint hissing. There is a belt hooked up. I thought I needed 3 belts but doing some more digging found that since there's no power steering pump for this truck it only has 2.

cadillacdude1975 05-05-2021 06:17 AM

Get the refrigerant level checked.

Cusser 05-06-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 (Post 548854)
Get the refrigerant level checked.

This is NOT a pressure check. This is an evacuation and weighing procedure using an expensive dedicated machine.

YEPEE 05-06-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsapants27 (Post 548840)
I think i found the issue. When I popped the high side cap off, I hear a faint hissing. There is a belt hooked up. I thought I needed 3 belts but doing some more digging found that since there's no power steering pump for this truck it only has 2.

if your hearing a "hiss" evacuate the system and replace the valve, probably want to replace both.. and maybe all the o-rings while its down

Cusser 05-06-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsapants27 (Post 548840)
I think i found the issue. When I popped the high side cap off, I hear a faint hissing.

Even with a "good" valve, the CAP is the main retainer of refrigerant. You may have lost refrigerant due to a bad cap.

Salsapants27 05-10-2021 09:53 PM

Ok, I replaced the cap and valves. I evacuated the system and then so far only put in 24 out of the 32 ounces recommended. How many ounces does it take before the compressor SHOULD kick on, if it's not bad?

YEPEE 05-10-2021 10:24 PM

when you evacuated the system did it hold? (lets you know if something is leaking before you add freon) the pressure switch will kick in if the pressure is too low or too high

Salsapants27 05-10-2021 10:43 PM

Yes, i let it sit for about an hour and had no leak.

cadillacdude1975 05-11-2021 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsapants27 (Post 549024)
Ok, I replaced the cap and valves. I evacuated the system and then so far only put in 24 out of the 32 ounces recommended. How many ounces does it take before the compressor SHOULD kick on, if it's not bad?

It should kick on during the first can.

Salsapants27 05-11-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 (Post 549038)
It should kick on during the first can.

Ok. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new compressor! Appreciate the help!

Reserector 05-11-2021 12:02 PM

See if you are getting 12v to the compressor when it is switched on.

Cusser 05-11-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsapants27 (Post 549047)
Ok. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new compressor! Appreciate the help!

AC should have enough pressure to "close" the pressure switch before 1 can of refrigerant (don't add any sealer or refrigerant containing sealer, you can run the entire system).

So after adding that 24 oz., time to turn on the engine AND AC and blower fan, and test to see if 12-14 volts positive is getting to the compressor to activate (engage) the AC electric clutch.

If not, temporarily rig up a wire with in-line fuse and touch the compressor wire to battery positive terminal, and see if that engages the AC clutch and the compressor starts turning.

Stuff like a bad switch, bad bower resistor can easily prevent voltage from reaching your compressor. Just don't "throw parts at it" !!!!

Salsapants27 06-11-2021 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 549052)
AC should have enough pressure to "close" the pressure switch before 1 can of refrigerant (don't add any sealer or refrigerant containing sealer, you can run the entire system).

So after adding that 24 oz., time to turn on the engine AND AC and blower fan, and test to see if 12-14 volts positive is getting to the compressor to activate (engage) the AC electric clutch.

If not, temporarily rig up a wire with in-line fuse and touch the compressor wire to battery positive terminal, and see if that engages the AC clutch and the compressor starts turning.

Stuff like a bad switch, bad bower resistor can easily prevent voltage from reaching your compressor. Just don't "throw parts at it" !!!!

Well, I just got done doing a butt load of stuff to figure it out. We found that the switch does work, the compressor DOES work but you have to jump it. We replaced the pressure switch. I'm pretty sure now it's an electrical issue. We did discover something strange though. The compressor that is on the truck right now is the exact same as the one that goes on the S13. Instead of having the ports up and down, they're on the top left to right.