Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Service Station... (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46071)

89'HBV6 11-28-2021 08:56 PM

The Service Station...

A 1957 documentary short explains how service stations work. We call them gas stations now, because no one is providing a service outside of taking your money and letting you use the toilet. But the video starts with a look at how you got gas for your car "a long time ago," which appears to be around 1890. I had to laugh at the station attendant checking the oil and showing the dipstick to the driver. The car is completely devoid of oil, but no one is panicking.

A film like this makes you think about how fractured our services are now. If you want a tire changed, you go to a tire place. If you need oil and lube, you go to an oil change place. If you have a different problem, you go to a mechanic shop. It's hard to get an appointment at any of those places, none of which sell gasoline. And if your car won't run, you must engage a third party wrecker service to deliver it.

A modern gas station won't even let you put air in your own tires for less than 50 cents, and even self window washing is disappearing, but they will sell you hot dogs, coffee, and all the Mountain Dew you can handle. And the restrooms are clean.

Tropicalcats 11-28-2021 10:45 PM

How times change. Are we any better off today? I don’t think so

89'HBV6 11-28-2021 11:26 PM

I concur Tc... stoopid danm humans!

Also, can't (really) work on some of the new vehicles. My 17' Outback is getting close. To danm many 'puters.
I'd not want to even touch a Tesla... Need a degree just to pop the hood! :bang:

PoBoi850 11-29-2021 01:30 PM

I had a talk about this with a friend. We figured it would be another 15 years, or so, before someone had the bright "IDEA" to combine on oil change station like "Jiffy Lube" with a Gas Station. They will think they've created a whole new take on "convenience stores".

Cusser 11-29-2021 02:12 PM

Stuff inside the convenience store accounts for like 70% of the profits.

Reserector 11-29-2021 03:59 PM

When I was a kid, all you could buy inside the gas station office was a Coke and/or a pack of cigarettes from the vending machines, if they had them.

I think things are better now. People work withing their skill sets. Back in the day, the best service station guys were the "Jack of all trades" type.

89'HBV6 11-29-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reserector (Post 555756)
When I was a kid, all you could buy inside the gas station office was a Coke and/or a pack of cigarettes from the vending machines, if they had them.

I think things are better now. People work withing their skill sets. Back in the day, the best service station guys were the "Jack of all trades" type.

LOL Yes, I remember buying a pack of smokes from a vending machine. I think they were just under a buck... late 70's/early 80's...

And they could fix your vehicle, on the spot. Really do miss that kind of "Service"... but the Mrs gets this, by default! :help: :bang: :cool:

Philbert 11-30-2021 02:21 AM

I like how five gallons of fuel was like $1.75. That would get you a half gallon here in Arizona. Times have changed for better and for worse. It's just how things go.

89'HBV6 11-30-2021 02:37 AM

So, question for anyone who reads this thread...

What was the price for a gallon of fuel, when you first had to buy it? Do you remember?

For me, it was 1973... I got a jonboat with a 4hp Sears outboard, in Florida and my first gal cost $0.299. ($0.30) Had that boat for a couple of years...

SBJ 11-30-2021 03:00 AM

I got my license during the summer of 2008. Need I say more? I remember taking the bus to the DMV, exchanging my permit for a driver's license, then taking the bus back home.