Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.
Default UPDATED: Oregon Campout June 21-24, 2019

We call these 'DB Cooper' campouts because sometimes fans of the unsolved hijacking show up, and we do stuff related to all that. This is the first one we've hosted in Oregon.

This is the latest information as of June 12, 2019:

The public information on this campout is now removed from this post. We go with the people we have now, and congratulations to those who were included in this one. Any further inquiries go to Robert at adventurebooksofseattle@gmail.com

1) Campout will be held from Friday morning, June 21 through Monday morning, June 24th, 2019 in the Mount Hood National Forest southeast of Estacada, Oregon. Pictures and video when we return.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 119,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-13-2019 at 02:09 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Sounds good man. I know I have mentioned it in the other thread but I am happy to meet up with you and caravan the rest of the way down. There is a good spot in Albany right off the freeway if you want to pick up some last-minute supplies and there is also an ARCO station right off I-5 where it intersects with highway 34, exit 228. It'll be on your LEFT once you exit. You can't miss it. There are two right-turn lanes, so you'll want to be in the left one. It also tends to have some of the cheapest gas in the area and is a good place to fill up. Or have someone fill it up for you, I'm still getting used to that. Give me a call once you get past Salem. It's about 35-40 minutes out, 15 for me.

I too have an extra tent and sleeping bag that someone is welcome to use.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
XoXSciFiGuy

I am leaving Seattle area just after midnight Thursday.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 119,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-13-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

I agree on getting an early start, if we show up Friday evening all the spots will be taken. The turnoff for that forest service road can't be more than an hour and a half from me. If we want to get there between 8 and 9 that puts me at the meetup point around 7-7:30. The gas station is a more direct route in my case, but I don't mind doing a little backtracking. I'm fine with either. There is some morning traffic around here but it's a joke compared to the Puget Sound area. You'll also be able to get through Portland before the morning rush hour starts.

Do walkie talkies pick up CB radio signals? I ask because I have a set of old ones left over from when I was a kid. One of them still works, the other one does not but it might still be good for something after all.

Deerhurst: I know you're planning on meeting up with us one day on the weekend. Maybe we should figure out a time and place to meet up along the main highway, or close to the turnoff for the FS road. That way you don't have to meander through the woods looking for us, especially if we end up having to go with a different spot. That part is entirely up to you.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I agree on getting an early start, if we show up Friday evening all the spots will be taken. The turnoff for that forest service road can't be more than an hour and a half from me. If we want to get there between 8 and 9 that puts me at the meetup point around 7-7:30. The gas station is a more direct route in my case, but I don't mind doing a little backtracking. I'm fine with either. There is some morning traffic around here but it's a joke compared to the Puget Sound area. You'll also be able to get through Portland before the morning rush hour starts.

Do walkie talkies pick up CB radio signals? I ask because I have a set of old ones left over from when I was a kid. One of them still works, the other one does not but it might still be good for something after all.

I know you're planning on meeting up with us one day on the weekend. Maybe we should figure out a time and place to meet up along the main highway, or close to the turnoff for the FS road. That way you don't have to meander through the woods looking for us, especially if we end up having to go with a different spot. That part is entirely up to you.
Yes. Virtually all walkie talkies running a SINGLE channel are on Channel 14. When we meet up in Albany, I will give you my Midland walkie anyway. Inside your truck it will go maybe a half mile to a mile. Outside the truck at least 20 feet from a car or big metal, it will reach about five miles. I will assume your walkie has a nine volt battery. I have plenty of those.

Deerhurst: One of the first things SBJ and I will do when we reach the camp site is to find out if we can get cell service. If so, this solves a lot of problems for anyone wanting to drop by over the weekend. One of us will call you right away to update you if cell service works. I will send you the full map and directions to the camp site before I leave Seattle, as well as my cell number. Same thing goes for anyone saying they might want to show up over the weekend, or attend this campout. You will be provided a full map and cell numbers.

If you want to bring a propane BBQ and its a small one, feel free. I'm bringing my propane stove, a few of the green fuel bottles, and a five gallon propane tank with the adapter to use for lanterns, stove, etc. I can NOT bring my propane BBQ. Too big for the truck.

To Anyone and Everyone: For God's sake...don't forget to bring yourself a chair. It's the one thing people often forgot on the OTHER campouts LOL. Beats sitting on a rock or a log every time. A small folding table for yourself is a bonus. You can set your beer, coffee cup, food plate, etc on it. I'm bringing one really long folding table, and a camp kitchen set with shelves and hangers for lanterns and the like. For shelter tarps I have two really big ones and use heavy macrame cord to secure it to nearby trees. Provides good shade or shelter from rain. Sometimes I drop some of the smaller tarps around it like walls, to make a sort of cabin at night to keep out the chill or the wind. I use a 16-foot extendable painting rod, the kind you use to reach high spots when painting, to extend the main tarp high up so it doesn't fall on your head. That's the main problem with hanging heavy tarps. They sag. So I just stick the rod into the center, raise up the tarp as high as necessary, and turn the twist lock on it.

The only video game system I own is an old-school Super Nintendo, but I'm packing it along just in case. Tell you what though...running media through that LED projector at night on that ten foot screen is pretty cool. Takes a DVD player, (I have one, All region) takes a flash drive, video game system, even a cable TV input. I don't rely on the LED projector's little speakers. I use a set of powered computer speakers instead. Works way better. Hell...you have to have something to do at night. Bring your fave DVD's if you want. I'm bringing about 50 movies myself.

If you are a member of IN and just seeing all this now, you are more than welcome to show up for this party/gathering/meetup, whatever you want to call it. Either PM me or email to adventurebooksofseattle@gmail.com

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-11-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I'm late to the party is seems!

I won't be able to make it Friday so Saturday will be it. I'm going to pack super light since it's so close to home for me. Probably just a camp chair, some food, maybe a boom stick or two and that's probably it. I'll.grab my DSLR since we will have to pose for the camera/pose our trucks for a photo. If anyone is into cycling just up the road in Oakridge is a really good trail. BTW, don't speed in Oakridge. The cops there are dicks. There is a good burger joint and a neat bike shop in town. I think I have a trail map somewhere showing all the roads and trails.

As things get closer I'll update you guys with my cell number. Keep me posted if there is anything last minute to bring. It'll likely be fire season so throw a fire extinguisher in the truck before heading out.

I'm down for a meander through the woods, especially if I get to use 4WD! I'll probably run to Eugene and top off the truck, always a good idea when going into the woods, then head that way.

Man, I've never gone to a camp site so fancy. Usually it's just sit around the fire till you pass out then wake up when the fire goes out and wander to your sleeping bag while tripping over bicycles.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

That's great. Attendance probably won't be like some of the campouts we've done in the Olympics, because until now almost everyone came from the Seattle/Puget Sound area.

There are still six weeks to go, so I am still trying to recruit some more folks to come along for this trip. One thing...you can do the same but generally no under twenty-one can come along due to some of the extra-curricular activities.

Still trying to recruit some folks to attend, whether they own a Nissan or not. Nice if they do, but not required for this one. I figure it's about four hours to meet at the rally point in Estacada, so I will be leaving the Seattle/Auburn area just after midnight or so. Even just cruising at 55-60 mph, should get to that spot easily by 5AM. I already have a five-gallon steel Jeep gas can to feed the generator. And I always bring not one, but TWO spares. I found out you can mount TWO spares on that chain holder on your truck, as long as the SMALL spare goes up FIRST. Then you can hang a second full size one underneath it. Still leaves you exactly two inches of clearance above your differential. (Of course, you can also pack two of the small cheapie ones easy) I also pack a full metric tool kit, Fix a Flat, tire plug kit, foot air pump, some extra small parts, and some nylon stockings. No...not for trading to girls...because they do in a pinch as emergency belts for your engine. LOL. You tie two of them onto the pulleys, keep the knots really small, and trim off the ends of the stockings right to the knot with scissors or a sharp knife. This won't get you to California, but it will get you out of the woods if necessary. Did it once way off road and it worked for an alternator belt anyway.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-20-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Thanked by:
Wersh (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 03:49 AM   #8
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

LOL I have heard of that trick before but have never needed to try it. I always keep the old belts behind the seat or in the trunk in case I need one. Easy for me since I only have the one belt for the alternator and water pump. Plus jumper cables, a breaker bar, a jack, a first aid kit and one of those cheapo compressors that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I also bring a jumper box with me, just in case a dead battery happens in the middle of nowhere. It's less work than bump starting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I'm late to the party is seems!

I won't be able to make it Friday so Saturday will be it. I'm going to pack super light since it's so close to home for me. Probably just a camp chair, some food, maybe a boom stick or two and that's probably it. I'll.grab my DSLR since we will have to pose for the camera/pose our trucks for a photo. If anyone is into cycling just up the road in Oakridge is a really good trail. BTW, don't speed in Oakridge. The cops there are dicks. There is a good burger joint and a neat bike shop in town. I think I have a trail map somewhere showing all the roads and trails.

As things get closer I'll update you guys with my cell number. Keep me posted if there is anything last minute to bring. It'll likely be fire season so throw a fire extinguisher in the truck before heading out.

I'm down for a meander through the woods, especially if I get to use 4WD! I'll probably run to Eugene and top off the truck, always a good idea when going into the woods, then head that way.

Man, I've never gone to a camp site so fancy. Usually it's just sit around the fire till you pass out then wake up when the fire goes out and wander to your sleeping bag while tripping over bicycles.
Good to know, I don't usually go more than 5 over but thanks for the heads up. Between the two of us Scifi and I probably have enough stuff to accommodate 10 people or so. It all comes down to planning. Tents are set up long before the fire gets started so that all you have to do is crawl in there and pass out once you get tired. Last year I bought a 4-person dome tent so that I could put a folding cot in there and not have to sleep on the ground anymore. It's the shit, like staying in a nice hotel compared to years of sleeping on the ground in my old 2-person tent.

Last edited by SBJ; 05-13-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

You gotta love the emergency gear. I bring a really comprehensive First Aid Kit that includes stuff like Tums and Zantac, and ibuprofen, etc.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-13-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

I can't hold it against him... I am from a family that has had several and I have owned 2 Toyota cars myself. While I think the trucks are way over priced for what you are getting I am a big fan of their cars. IMHO for a daily driver they are some of the best cars on the road. They are simple and rarely ever broken to begin with. My '99 Camry has 235K on the clock and runs like a Swiss watch. It is just now starting to need new struts. A 90s Sentra would be a close second.