Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
pratt

Vehicle: 94 d21
Default project: LS d21

This is going to be a long and drawn out build. I am a truck driver, and will only be able to work on the nissan on the weekends. Although in the past 2 weeks I have gathered most of the big parts of my build including the truck (93 d21), the engine (2000 GM 4.8) and the trans (2000 4l80e). Also all the wiring and computers for both the engine and trans.

My plan is to build an autocross type of truck. I know zero about the rules of autocross. I just know I want a good handling high power mini truck. I would like to get into autocross on occasion but, like I said I know nothing about it and my truck probably wont be built to the correct specs.

My original plan had me using a standard trans. But for now its going to be auto for my budget does not allow for a t5 build or a t56. I plan on eventually having 500-600rwhp. In my research have found very few standards to hold that power at a decent enough price.

I picked up the truck on the 29th of June. and I love it. Other than the stupid, loud, short flowmaster 40 series someone put on there that makes it annoying.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. I don't have a real camera so all my pics will be taken with my note 3 lol.

The night I picked up the beast

Had to patch a couple places on the frame around the shock mount and shackle mount. Then I proceeded to over load the bed with big chunks of metal. the u-bolts were hitting the frame quite a lot. Good thing I'm not going to be using it to haul anything again haha.

Here is the power plant all loaded up.

Here is the clearance with the bed full of heavy stuff.

Don't mind the bed. I'm gonna have to replace it. it's in pretty bad shape. I had to pull the fenders out a bit to clear the tires from rubbing. That broke off a bit of the previous owners bondo job. Thats when I realized the bed is in poor condition.

Also I have started mounting the GM gauges in my old pathy gauge pod. This is just thrown back together to get a picture. Will look more professional when I'm done with it.

Thats all I have for now. Going to start stripping the motor down today and cleaning it up some. Will have it sent to machine shop to check it over completely and thoroughly cleaned.

Any and all information on LS swapping a hardbody is accepted. I've seen a couple build threads and I know mostly what I need to do. One issue I have not even begun to figure out is the height of this motor. Its like 3 feet tall and wont clear the hood without the oil pan dragging on the ground. guess I'll have to go after market. Or maybe get a corvette or camaro oil pan. I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Last edited by pratt; 07-07-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: title
pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

This oil pan - https://www.holley.com/products/acce...ns/parts/302-2

And a ls1 style (car) intake (will need injectors rails and some other bits) will definitely help keep it under the stock hood.

Looking forward to seeing this play out.
Thanked by:
pratt (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
pratt

Thanks for the link. I think I'm gonna go with moroso. No real reason other than the prices seem to be comparable and it says moroso on it haha. Also probably going to save up for awhile and get a FAST lsxr intake. It's huge money (will be the most expensive part on the truck) but in the long run I think it will be worth it. I plan on turbos in the future. And maybe nos. The lsxr has bosses for direct injection nos and it's 102mm throttle body will help with air flow

for now I think I'll just pick up an old junk hood and cut a hole in it to run the truck intake. Those fast intakes are almost 1000 without throttle body or injectors and rails.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 AM   #4
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Looking forward to seeing the evolution of your build man. I want to ls swap my truck so bad.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:44 AM   #5
pratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody92 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the evolution of your build man. I want to ls swap my truck so bad.
It's cheap so far.. $150 for the motor all the wiring i could ever want, gauge cluster and the computers. I just had to pull it all. And I found a 4l80e for $200 with torque converter and flywheel. Now I just need to find a rear end that will hold some power. I doubt the 190 will do the job.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
pratt

Got the motor town down as far as I really want to. Would rather not take apart the rotating assembly. This motor is rediculously dirty and gross lol. Pics for reference.

but on a good note. The internals are nice. Everything inside the motor is nice and clean as it should be.

don't mind the dirt on the pistons.. that dropped in when I pulled the heads.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
estetic
ADMIN

Does the moroso pan gain any clearance? The holley pan has the capacity and clearance to fit the LS into a small space. Also is the moroso pan stamped sheet metal or cast? The LS block uses the oil pan as a stressed member (it adds strength) of the block assembly.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
pratt

Ok I guess I didn't do a lot of research about the oil pan. Just checked real quick and saw the price was about the same. Didn't know that the moroso doesn't come with pick up and the holly one does for the same price. My bad lol

I did know that the oil pan on an ls is structural the moroso one looks nice. But they want an additional 200 or so for their pick up kit. I'm already going to have to break the bank to get the intake I want. I'm trying to keep cost down as much as I can. I have a total of $350 in this build so far. Would be nice to say I ls swapped my hardbody for under 2k

Last edited by pratt; 07-10-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: misspellings
pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:18 AM   #9
estetic
ADMIN

definitely doable - If you replace the pan you can get it mounted and running with the truck intake.
Thanked by:
Hardbody92 (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
pratt

You think the truck intake will fit under the hood? I'm not where the truck is at or I would measure it. Or are you just saying with no hood just to get it going