Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
JOHN92

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan Hardbody
Default Very bad run of luck on control arms swap. WTF!

I came across a set of Chassistech control arms that a buddy had sitting in his garage so I figured I'd give them a try for some more lift.
Here's how my run of bad luck began:

1. The AIM arms don't have cross shafts so I pressed them out of the stockers. That was the one thing that went right. It goes downhill from here.

2. I didn't like the way the AIM bushings looked and the inner sleeve was too small to fit over the stock cross shaft. So I tried to re-use the stock bushings and ended up getting something jambed up so I took them to my friend who has a press to get them back apart.

3. I ordered some MOOG bushings from advanced auto. We tried to press the new bushings (listed for Hardbody) into the AIM arms with no luck. They just wouldn't go. In the process, one of my cross-shaft's threads got completely screwed because of us having the press set up wrong once and jambing a 1/2" socket over the threads. :o
At this point we're done because now I need a cross shaft. I return the bushings the next day and suprisingly they take them back.

4. I go to the junkyard and get TWO control arms (from the same truck for the cross-shaft and a spare) When I get home and try to separate them, I realize that the bushing sleeves on both of them are completely rusted to the cross-shaft. I don't know if there's something I can use to free them up.

5. So here I stand now with 2 rusted arms, 2 bushingless AIM arms and my stock arms stripped down with currently 1 useable cross shaft still after running all around yesterday. A good few days of working and running around with no positive results. What a bummer.

I need to either get a good cross shaft from somewhere and piece it all back together with the pile of stuff I have now, or free up the junkyard set for the parts I need, or break down and order me a set of Cando Uppers which I believe will come all together with bushings, cross shafts and everything. Anybody got any suggestions/help for any of these three scenarios?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Minitruckin_Dina

Vehicle: 95 King Cab 2.4 Daily Driver, 00 S10 Xtreme on Bags, 99S10 Xtreme on bags, 73 Datsun 620 Project

Damn brotha sorry to hear this wow tons of work and nothing is done. Gotta love what u have or else it would be gone. Hope u solve this issue soon.
Minitruckin_Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
sparkinframe
Canadian, eh.

Vehicle: 1992 Nissan Hardbody Kingcab

what about bring in the good cross shaft, and the aim UCA to a parts store and get them to find you some energy bushings that will work for both.

as for the second cross shaft, just cut the bushings out of the UCA than cut/burn the bushings off the cross shaft.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Ice
Banned

Vehicle: 50000 BC Flinstone 4 seater, with dual foot brakes

last time i "tried" to install AIMS arms on a nissan ... they were 7/8" too long ....
you may want to double check those arms and make sure the length is right.....
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
JOHN92

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan Hardbody

Well I did at one point have them rigged up enough to test fit everything. They are longer but everything still tucked fine. I am really leaning towards Candos because even though I'll be paying forthem, I know I'll have quality stuff. I don't even think the AIMs are 100% straight.