Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
Reel_Drifter

Default Hardbody Overheating

Hi Everyone,
Im new to the site and Im really glad I actually found a forum for our trucks! My truck has been good to me but just recentley started acting up.

1997 Nissan Hardbody Single Cab 2.4L

Here the problem:
I noticed it started running HOT so I removed the thermostat completly and it still overheated. I then noticed the radiator was leaking and squirting out coolant when I got home from work this afternoon. The leak was coming from the the actual radiator not the cap. I figured it was ruined so I bought and installed a brand new radiator. After a test run it is still running HOT! It seems to run hot driving down the freeway and at idle. I do not have a fan shroud nor a clutch fan. I am running an electric fan. Last summer the truck ran just fine with the electric fan. Im really confused about what to do and Im no mechanic in any which way, shape or form. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!!
Reel_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
david29
Administrator

Your fan maybe getting weak. Replace it. You really need a fan shroud to help cool the whole radiator evenly.
1993 Nissan King Cab
2000 Nissan Frontier(bagged, will clear 20"s)
david29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
asr321
LSx DRIFT MONSTER

i ran my truck for a whole summer with no fan shroud and for a month or so without a fan and never had any issues. is there still air in the cooling system? sometimes it takes a little while for the air to work its way out. or bad water pump maybe?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
jshaw1988

X2 on the air in the system. Did you make sure you got it all out?
jshaw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
pejsa HB
Resident Drifter

you NEED a thermostat, pressure test your cap.... do you have an overflow tank? you NEED that shit too..

you might want to take it somewhere and have it block tested you might have a blown head gasket.

what else? if all of those check out and still no improvement replace your engine coolant temp sensor.

and trust me save your time and money and test/diagnose in the order i posted here
pejsa HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
jshaw1988

Block test for sure. You got any steam out the tail pipe? Doesn't mean no problems if you don't, but it's a good sign
jshaw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
david29
Administrator

I would deff. put the thermo back in. Then open the bleeder bolt on the top front of the intake manifold near the gauge sending unit(one wire plug) and the other sensor(2 wire plug) for the ECM coolant sensor. This is on the front of the intake manifold. Fill radiator until it bleeds out here then reinstall the bolt.
1993 Nissan King Cab
2000 Nissan Frontier(bagged, will clear 20"s)
david29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Reel_Drifter

Thanks for the Info Guys!!
Finally got a day off of work to put in a little work on the Hardbody today. I purchased a new radiator cap and took you guys adivice as far as bleeding the air out of the system. I only had a few hours this moring to work on it so I had no time to reinstall the thermostat. I was'nt really sure where the bleeder bolt is located and did'nt want to mess anything up so instead I rand the truck for about 30 with the radiator cap off and the heater running full blast. The truck ran cool for those 30 minutes and there did'nt seem to be any air bubbles exiting the radiator. I did rev the engine a few time and held it at bout 2500rpms and I saw a little coolant bubbling but not much at all. Other than that it never bubbled. I then took the truck for a quick spin around the block and down the freeway a couple exits. It did heat up again but not as bad as it did the other day. It was however running above the mid level. Any other insight guy? I'm strapped for cash so I don't have the means to have the block pressure tested. I was thinking temp sensor next????
Reel_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

well, if you're strapped for cash, don't just start throwing parts at it. There are 2 temp sensors. One is for the computer to know what the temperature is and one is for the instrument cluster so YOU know what the temperature is. But, NEITHER will fix your problem.

For starters, reinstall the thermostat. Without it installed the water flows through the block too quickly to absorb heat from the engine. Every manufacturer installs them in their cars so they must think it's needed.

The air bleeder is on the top of the intake manifold. Trace the upper radiator hose to where it attaches to the intake. There's a ground screw, then both temp sensors, then the bleeder. The bleeder is closest to the head and should have a gold sticker next to it that says "Never open when hot". Loosen it until the bubbles stop and only coolant rushes out. It should only take a second, and the motor doesn't have to be running.

You've got an electric fan.....what turns it on? You just have it hot wired? I'd reinstall the clutch fan and shroud just to see what it does for the problem.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
pejsa HB
Resident Drifter

thermostat!!!!
pejsa HB is offline   Reply With Quote