Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
jamesnmandy

Default Help! Windshield Wipers stopped working!

So in the worst season of all when it's either snowing or the roads are wet with brined water.....my wipers stop.....

Went to store, wipers going, turned off ignition, went in store, started truck back, start driving out of the parking lot and wipers just stop....not slow down, no dragging, and no popped fuse, they just stop.

Truck is garaged so it wasn't an ice buildup issue that was holding them back.

In desperation I beat on the column and they suddenly started to work again. Next time I turned it over they won't work. They haven't worked since I last shut it off.

Things I have done:
Removed colum cover and did a bunch of wire wiggling

Got a multimeter and ohmed out the connectors in the switch plug, there is a distinct difference in which pins become part of the circuit at different positions which leads me to believe it's not the switch but a schematic and diagram would help determine to more satisfaction

Also checked the connector under the hood at the motor/transmission assembly, seems solid, full of dielectric grease, no signs of ice or water...tapped on motor body and trans body while wiper switch in on position to see if it's maybe a partially seized motor/tranny, no results

Fuse of course is the first thing I have checked and checked and triple checked. Harness is getting power at the switch plug when ignition is in run position, but I don't know exactly how many volts or how much resistance should be present. Again, more information on what to look for would be beneficial. There may even be a way of determining if the motor is seized by measuring resistance across it's terminals but I need the data and a diagram of the connector pinout to do that.

Can anyone help? I'm not made of money, switch is $30 for ebay used part shipped....motor runs $42 for new(reman) motor at Rockauto....but i cant afford to part swap this sucker

If someone knows which wires need to be connected to close the circuit to make them run that would be helpful, would allow me to at least wire up a temporary switch so i can drive this sucka......

Thanks
jamesnmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Ok, the wiring diagram I have is for a 96 HB. The motor gets switched 12VDC straight from the 20 amp fuse in fuse panel. That wire is spliced and also provides 12VDC to the washer motor and amplifier if you have intermittent wipers. It's blue with yellow stripes. It will have power with the key on regardless of the wiper switch position.

The wiper switch provides ground to the motor via a blue/red stripe wire on low and a blue/white striped on high.

That's probably enough to get you started. Let us know what you find and the exact configuration of your truck. There's a pretty good troubleshooting guide in the fsm you should download it.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
jamesnmandy

Ok. Thanks. So I measured voltage at the pigtail. I have a full 12v at every wire with the black being common ground. I have black ground then blue w/red stripe then solid blue then blue w/white stripe and then underneath the black wire is a blue w/black stripe wire.

I ohmed out the switch. Mine is standard OFF-LOW-HIGH basic type, no amp for intermittent or delay. With the switch in LOW position between ground and what would be blue w/red stripe I get no resistance and good continuity. Then again between ground and blue w/white stripe in the HIGH positional same thing. Then when I pull the switch back in the washer pump dispense position the bottom blue w/black stripe wire circuit closes. This agrees with your diagram. This tells me the switch is functioning normally.

Here is my wiper switch pigtail.

So now I need to look at the motor end of the business.
jamesnmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

If you need a motor let me know. There's one on my parts truck I'll sell you a lot cheaper than $42.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Swschz
Retired Mod

Try switching out the control box ( small black or brown box that is mounted onto the wiper motor) its possible that something inside that has gone bad,especially if it got water in it.

If replacing the control box, make sure its one of the same colour black with black,brown with brown....it matters due to having the intermittent function or not.....

just a thought from another perspective.
Swschz is offline   Reply With Quote