Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #1
tbott

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody
Default Diagram of Ka24e - Passenger side

Does anybody know where I can find a useful diagram of the ka24e from the passenger side? The one exploded view in the Haynes manual is useless, and my googling hasn't turned anything up.

I am trying to diagnose an oil leak on a 97 hardbody. Lots of built up grime in a quite a few places...I just want a better understanding of the motor.

Thanks
tbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:06 AM   #2
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbott View Post
Does anybody know where I can find a useful diagram of the ka24e from the passenger side? The one exploded view in the Haynes manual is useless, and my googling hasn't turned anything up.

I am trying to diagnose an oil leak on a 97 hardbody. Lots of built up grime in a quite a few places...I just want a better understanding of the motor.

Thanks
I put some UV dye in the oil then aimed a black light all over to find a leak on my engine, it was the oil pressure sending unit. I swapped it out and no more leak, woohoo!

I got the dye and blacklight from Amazon.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:56 AM   #3
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

Full Factory Service Manual with all specs needed for repairs:

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...Truck%2Fst.pdf

Scrape off as much goop and grime as you can. Then spray on Purple Power(AutoZone Pep Boys etc.) and let it soak for 15(ish) mins. The rinse it all off. Or the best way is to take it to a big rig wash out station where they steam clean the entire engine bay. Just be aware of water getting into the throttle body, distributor, sensitive electronic components etc. Low pressure would be best. Along with a detergent and hot water to remove the grime and goop. I had so much stuck on crud. That I took a long screwdriver to chip at the grime, a bag of blue shop rags to wipe areas down with, painter's plastic to lay on the garage floor to catch falling sludge and a long sleeved old track jacket to keep most of that sh!t off of my arms! It's still not 100% clean under there yet. Due to a leaky power steering hose as well. I believe it's the molded reservoir hose that's leaking.

ONLY USE A DEGREASING AGENT ON A COLD MOTOR!

Last edited by PorknBeans; 01-14-2021 at 02:11 AM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:58 AM   #4
PorknBeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbott View Post

Thanks
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...Truck%2Fst.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOTS95 View Post
I put some UV dye in the oil then aimed a black light all over to find a leak on my engine, it was the oil pressure sending unit. I swapped it out and no more leak, woohoo!

VOTS
Great idea!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:36 AM   #5
tbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOTS95 View Post

VOTS
This does seem like a great idea....

How much dye do you put in?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #6
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

UV dye FTW. My money is on the oil pressure switch as well, but you never know.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #7
PorknBeans

...and that oil pressure switch is a b!tch to put back on! The finest of fine threads to line up and screw back in was NOT an easy remove /replace. At least for me. I did mine sitting on the floor. Up on a rack would be SO much easier to line up those fine pitched threads. But maybe it was just me.

I found my oil pressure switch leaking with the engine idling and had my phone on video to prove it was actually leaking. Everything was wiped/sprayed clean. Then I saw it dripping! Review of the video proved that the switch was indeed leaking. Never rule anything out.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:25 AM   #8
tbott

It's settled then. UV dye is what I'll do. I could get my eyes on the oil switch and it didn't look like it was dripping, but the proof will be in the pudding.

I suspect in my case it's a couple fo things. There seems to be quite a lot of seepage at the oil pan gasket, plus what seems to be coming from above.