Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 01-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #61
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I hate those things. Whenever possible I cut the end off the hose and put it back on with a regular hose clamp.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #62
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Weird... you'd think they'd all be the same since they are all built on the same platform. Then again GM loves to pull weird shit like that.
We have a 2005 Yukon Denali. There seems to be multiple parts/numbers for whatever exists. The four doors each has a specific reflector rather than using one for all four and just flipping it. Plus their plastic is brittle so these can break just pushing them in, need more flexible "tang".

Last year the factory radiator plastic end exploded, understand, 200K miles on it. A few months later the plastic quick-disconnect at the firewall broke on the road, don't know why GM couldn't just use a regular heater hose and a regular hose clamp there. Anyway, at least those two "experiences" did not cause engine damage, something caused an engine warning/shut-off.

I've never done spark plugs on that, but I did replace the AC compressor a couple of years ago. Fortunately, that was designed with a separate small belt different than the big serpentine belt, I liked that.

Water pump on that Denali wasn't too bad except when I took the leaky water pump in to CarQuest, guy brought one out that matched perfectly, $119. I "joked" that GM seemed to have multiple parts, and he said that Denali had different water pump, different part number, and brought that out too, same price. All three looked identical, couldn't see ANY difference in the Denali part. Anyway, that WP went out maybe 60K later while I was in a small town on a Friday and CarQuest 25 miles away could not get one for a few days, bought a new WP from O'Reilly and installed that, later took bad WP to CarQuest for free replacement, turned that in at O'Reilly for refund. So I think my lifetime warranty on that is still through CarQuest.

I think all vehicles have some stuff that's easy, some stuff difficult. And all have their strong points and weak points.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #63
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Well, it looks like I'm going to be presented with the opportunity to replace the timing belt and water pump in a vw beetle soon. It looks pretty cramped in there but it also looks like a lot more room opens up once you remove the motor mount. At least it's the basic 2.0 engine and not the turbocharged engine they cram in there. I haven't worked on VWs much outside of a couple of brake jobs and a few other small repairs so this should be somewhat of a learning experience.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #64
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul_Mouth View Post
Worst vehicle I have ever worked on? 2002 Mazda Millenia. You can't even change out a parking lamp without removing the entire front clip.

My oldest had a Mazda CX-7; inner fender needed to come off to replace the halogen headlight bulb. Worst part was some really weird wire clip that held that bulb in place in the headlight assembly, would've been tons easier had this been engineered for one of the "twist in clockwise" type bulbs.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote