Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-11-2019, 02:25 AM   #20341
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Her car fucked up today outside the free towing radius. So when i got home, i went to uhaul, rented a car dolly (told them it was for towing a 69 beetle) and used my 3500 pound truck to pull a 3900 pound lexus back home over 40 miles. It actually ran down the road staying at 65 fairly easy until it had to pull a hill. Then it was gear grabbing madness. And the temp never fluctuated. Thank god for ceramic brakes. They got one hell of a workout stopping a combined 7400 pounds many times in traffic.

I absolutely love my ceramic brakes. They've saved me a few times with a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Yep, blue one on the passenger side fender well. It's not in the box with all the other relays.

That's what I thought. Thought I felt it click. Hope that's all it is now. I'm really not wanting to have to rewire anything. Got that in for the week at work today. Made a junction box (3D printed) and remote boxes for switches and then rewired half that side of the room to make 2 little LED T5 units work.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
cadillacdude1975 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #20342
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,022 Posts

John, you are looking for the relay below.

Deerhurst (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #20343
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

When you go to the wrecking yard...ALWAYS pull all the relays you see under the hood, and any under the dashboard. They average twenty bucks a pop online almost anywhere. I got a bag of them at my house.

Weird News: The odometer started moving again on the Teal Terror. Why it stopped for about 150 miles I have no idea. It stopped cold at exactly 120000. Speedometer kept working fine. This happened a week ago.

It now reads 120071. Go figure.

I'm pulling the instrument panel and going to LED's early next month. I will get them at THIS company. While I am in there I will take a look at all the panel connections and the odometer. If the odometer gears aren't broken, or teeth missing, I will spray lube them a tiny bit, see if they need cleaning. Weird though that it would stop for a week and then start working again.

Word is coming out from a few sources that the 'flat' shaped LED's work better than the older 'round' ones. Just saying. I mean the ones meant to replace things like your turn signal lights, markers, instrument panel lights, etc. Not headlights.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #20344
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Yah XoxS, I have an order in with them for 12mm Amber bolt LEDs that will probably get mounted on that Lund Moon Visor that I mentioned to you. I might mount them on the top or maybe front edge of the visor. Last night I took my 93 kingcab for a short shake down ride, to settle in the torsion bar adjustments. I had changed out all ball joints, tie rods drag link,and pitman, bushings on control arms, strut rods,sway arm and rear leafs. I also hesitate to mention to XoxS that I added 3inch lowering blocks at rear axle, I suspect lowering a vehicle chafes his off-roading sensibilities. New bushings (Energy Red) and such have ride feeling tight and stiff, as expected. My GF doesn't drive stick, and I am working late 6 days a week, so an alignment and installation of my new tonneau cover will have to wait. I am P.O.d that back on Sept. 12 I had ordered new shocks from Autoplicity.com and after 3 almost 4 weeks they decided that they don't have my shocks. So more or less, I loaned them my money, interest-free, and they never had any intention of filling my order. I will NEVER order from them again. Do you all think doing shocks later will effect alignment much?
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #20345
XoXSciFiGuy

First...I never sent you the Lund pictures because they wouldn't show how the sunshade was installed. There are just some plastic buttons on top with bolts underneath. Or some other fastener. Can't tell what they used. Headliner...if it was removed to do the install...you just can't tell on that either. I tried feeling around the headliner to see if I could find nuts there, etc. Nothing. Truth is, I don't know how the hell they did it, but it was a pro job for sure.

You can find out the info you need on all that by researching trucker entries on the internet about them...because 99 percent of Lund stuff went on semi trucks. You see them all the time.

No. New shocks will not affect alignment. I recommend KYB shocks at Amazon. They definitely make a difference and are the best, and most cost effective option. Front set was a gift, and then I bought the rear ones after I saw how the front ones improved the ride. Not like an old Caddy, but way better than cheapie Monroes. (You should always register your vehicle at Amazon before trying to buy parts. Link goes to the REAR ones that fit my 97, might not fit your rig)

As far as lowering trucks, yeah...I don't favor that idea but I understand the 'cool' thing about it. Here in the NW, many more people raise the trucks rather than lowering them because if you lower, the off road thing is over and you have to watch the RR track stuff. It's all good, though. Everyone here with a truck seems to take them into the hills for camping or reaching high spots for photos, etc. So lowering isn't as popular. Florida is flat as a pancake. Many years ago I lived in St Petersburg for a while, so I know how it is there. Roads pretty good and everything is flat.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-11-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Thanked by:
nunya (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #20346
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
John, you are looking for the relay below.

Perfect! That's what I thought! Got that on the floorboard of the car for testing today.
VG33i
Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #20347
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Fixed. Relay was bad. 7.5ohms across the contacts. Smacked it with a hammer and it fell to 0.10ohms like it should be. New relay and still nothing. I'm a moron and didn't need to re-wire the starter.

88, let me know if you need a hand with yours. With a couple alligator clips and a meter we can test your starter relay too. Gotta test resistance across the contacts with the relay powered or it'll be a dead open.
VG33i
Old 10-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #20348
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
'Smacked it with a hammer and it fell to 0.10ohms like it should be. New relay and still nothing...'
I don't understand this. If you put in a new relay, it should have worked, right?

Update on the odometer stopped working problem: Stopped at exactly 120000 and a week later started working again. STILL working. That is something I have never seen happen before. Just too weird. Those things are run mechanically through the speed sensor. The sensor does the speedo electronically, but the rod on the end of it drives the odometer MECHANICALLY through two gear pieces. I dunno.

Can't wait to pull the instrument panel and settle this mystery once and for all. I will wait until the instrument panel LEDs show up. I figure the gears in the odometer might need cleaning and a lube. Or something. Twilight Zone stuff for sure.

Maybe my odometer was abducted by aliens and they finally returned it to the truck.

On a side note, a senior lady I call 'Miss Daisy,' as in Driving Miss Daisy, has hired the Teal Terror for the occasional weekend road trip. Day trips only, maybe a couple of hours at a time. She pays well, so I said okay to this and cleaned out the truck earlier today for her. Her offer was a fill up on the gas and twenty bucks an hour. Because she is rather slow getting ready or going anywhere...this usually runs to around a hundred bucks and a free tank of gas. She has a lot of fun and usually buys lunch as well.

No worries. Trust me...she can afford it and is more than happy to pay. Plus I am nicer than your typical Uber driver. I've known her for about ten years.

Let me give some background on this lady. She is an early 1950's grad from the University of Washington with a Masters in English. She spent her career in civil service as a librarian for the US Air Force and has been practically everywhere they go except for Antarctica. She is a real life version of Jessica Tandy from the famous movie, that's for sure. She just wants to escape from that retirement home where she lives once in a while. Private apartment setup, pretty nice. But boring, and she doesn't watch TV much.

This Sunday I decided to take her to a famous Mt. Rainier viewpoint spot. She worked at the Paradise Inn to help pay her way through college...years before I was even born. Maybe I will take her to the Inn instead, but I have to check if they are still open this late in the year.

EDIT: Paradise Inn is OUT. They closed for the year two weeks ago. Bummer.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #20349
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

When I re-wired the starter to match the Chilton's manual it was already OK for my truck so I had to pull it back out and swap the wires back. That's why the new relay didn't work. I had the polarity backwards. The more I look at the wiring diagram the less I understand it. Texted Mytmouz and picked his brain. It helped a ton. Thanks again, man!
VG33i
Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #20350
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

"[QUOTE=XoXSciFiGuy;526016]First...I never sent you the Lund pictures because they wouldn't show how the sunshade was installed. There are just some plastic buttons on top with bolts underneath. Or some other fastener. Can't tell what they used. Headliner...if it was removed to do the install...you just can't tell on that either. I tried feeling around the headliner to see if I could find nuts there, etc. Nothing. Truth is, I don't know how the hell they did it, but it was a pro job for sure. "

The Lund visors install with regular sheet metal screws with a hex head, the plastic covers just press onto the hex head.

On my former 87 Hardbody a few of the screw holes stripped out so I installed 1/4 -20 riv nuts than used SS 1/4-20 allen head bolts. I found these anodized aluminum cups that the allen head bolts would sit in, and they also had matching aluminum covers that used an O-ring that closed off the top of the cups, the O-ring fit into the allen head part of the bolt. Still have the cups and covers but the truck and visor are long gone.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote