Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 08-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner
Default Mazda brake question

My wife's 2012 Mazda 3 that I just replaced the front dr. side wheel bearing on. I also replaced the brake pads.

She said the car feels like it is pulling to the dr. side when she applies the brakes, I noticed it also one time I stopped but not every time.

When I checked the car before finding the bearing was bad I noticed the dr. side pads ( bad bearing side) were worn very low and the pass side had more life left on them, the rotors probably should be replaced but they did not have any major grooves in them, just wasn't in the budget at this time.

When I compressed the caliper pistons to put the new pads in they both compressed easily, not like one was stuck.

I also applied the caliper grease to the areas the pads sit on the caliper, it didn't look like there was any residue from any grease being on them before, I also put some grease on the bolt/slide pins but I only did one side, have to pull the other side out and grease them.

Is it possible the play in the hub on the bad bearing side caused the pads to wear faster?

I think I need to just order the rotors and it will probably correct any pull.

Car has 89K on it and first time the brakes were done since we owned it.

any opinions on this?

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I'd start by greasing the caliper slide bolt pins on the other side and see if it still does it. If the pads are all new and the rotors are worn evenly it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You might be able to save a few bucks by getting the rotors resurfaced as opposed to buying new ones.

Purely anecdotal here...I recently helped a co-worker put new brakes on his car, all 4 corners. He had also mentioned to me that the parking brake sticks sometimes. When doing the rear ones we discovered that the little rubber dust boot had torn and one of the caliper slide pins was siezed in place. We got it moving and cleaned the rust out and the parking brake doesn't appear to stick anymore.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

I just went out and greased the other two bolt/pins, I also replaced the spring clips that hold the caliper in place with the old OEM clips as they seem to have more tension on them compared to the new clips.

I took it for a ride and I don't notice any pull, I was thinking of having the rotors cut but don't know who does it nearby or what they would charge, I can get 2 new rotors for $83 delivered from Rockauto.

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Old 08-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Some parts stores will do it provided they are not below the minimum thickness. Machine shops will usually do it too but there's the problem of them only being open during business hours. I used to pay around $15/rotor to have them resurfaced.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Only auto parts store around here that MIGHT do it maybe would be Napa, or Pepboys but I don't like Pepboys.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

If you car is pulling right, check the left caliper. It may be stuck. this would explain the uneven pad wear.( one is working, causing the car to pull in that direction, the other is NOT working, so it has more pad left, assuming all pads were put in at the same time.) I wouldn't worry about getting the rotors turned unless you notice the car or steering wheel wobbling when you apply pressure to the brake pedal,
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote