Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #20051
91nissan94

Vehicle: 91nissan hb

I changed the oil and cleaned her up. She's happy for now.
91nissan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #20052
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Brought back the Teal Terror from the Olympic Mountains after my three day camping trip. Washed and vacuumed.

The purpose of the whole trip was to shoot three videos on the famous 'DB Cooper' hijacking case. Got that done. Currently processing them for YouTube, adding front and back credits, some still shots inserted into the videos here and there.

Two of the videos are pretty controversial, which is why I am so well-liked in Cooperland. (My name for the folks who hang out on forums discussing the case...and sometimes coming after me personally LOL)

Yeah. They hate me with a passion. Especially since we sold the movie rights to Cooper suspect Kenny Christiansen's story to a couple of production companies in Hollywood. Movie itself scheduled for filming and release in 2021, the 50th anniversary of the famous hijacking. Until then, I get a check for $2,500 each year every January since 2017. On what they call 'First Day of Production Shooting' I receive another six figures and 1 1/2% of the production companies' share of the net.

Ask me if I care about the haters...no...I do not.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #20053
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Took the green truck AutoX'ing at the Seneca Army Depot in Romulus NY along with a buddy who brought his 924 turbo. Had a blast! Green loves the long tracks and stuck like glue. Each lap was faster with my fastest lap being the last...and I even had a passenger. Monomax shocks, R compound tires, SAW torsions and the rear Hellwig rear bar make for a fun truck.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #20054
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

added oil to my Frontier,

My wife's Mazda, she was saying the steering felt funny, pulled the pass. tire, all looks and feels good, start to pull the dr. side tire and it's got some play, pull the tire, put two lugs back on to hold the rotor and it has play in the bearing.

One of the cars with the pressed in bearing, removed the knuckle and got the hub out, than beat the old bearing out with a very large socket and big hammer.

Went to the auto parts and bought the bearing, and brake pads as those are getting low, asked if they had the bearing tool to rent, they don't, went across the street to the other auto parts store, they don't rent it either, of course it's Sunday and no shops are open to press it in and we are leaving to go to Jacksonville today and were going to take her car, so we're taking the frontier now

Checked Harbor freight to see how much the bearing tool is $119 ! Checked on Amazon and they have them starting at about $56, I had a $31 credit with them so I ordered the tool, cost me $34 after the credit, will be here on Tuesday. So figured since I have to wait and can't work on the car until we get back, I ordered the bearing and brake pads from Rockauto, cheaper and will also be here on Tuesday, going to return the over priced parts to O'Reily, was $100 vs $ $59.

So I'll be doing a bearing and front brakes when I get home.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #20055
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
added oil to my Frontier,

My wife's Mazda, she was saying the steering felt funny, pulled the pass. tire, all looks and feels good, start to pull the dr. side tire and it's got some play, pull the tire, put two lugs back on to hold the rotor and it has play in the bearing.

One of the cars with the pressed in bearing, removed the knuckle and got the hub out, than beat the old bearing out with a very large socket and big hammer.

Went to the auto parts and bought the bearing, and brake pads as those are getting low, asked if they had the bearing tool to rent, they don't, went across the street to the other auto parts store, they don't rent it either, of course it's Sunday and no shops are open to press it in and we are leaving to go to Jacksonville today and were going to take her car, so we're taking the frontier now

Checked Harbor freight to see how much the bearing tool is $119 ! Checked on Amazon and they have them starting at about $56, I had a $31 credit with them so I ordered the tool, cost me $34 after the credit, will be here on Tuesday. So figured since I have to wait and can't work on the car until we get back, I ordered the bearing and brake pads from Rockauto, cheaper and will also be here on Tuesday, going to return the over priced parts to O'Reily, was $100 vs $ $59.

So I'll be doing a bearing and front brakes when I get home.
Yep I need to look into buying a slide hammer and hub tamer set myself. At 237K it's only a matter of time before one of the wheel bearings starts getting noisy. I find pretty consistently that I can buy the same tools outright on Amazon for about half of what the deposit is at the parts store.

BTW for getting the race off the hub I saw a video on YouTube where this guy heated it with a torch while spinning it around and the bearing race almost literally feel off the back of the hub. Usually I cut them then crack the race with a cold chisel but I'm going to have to try that method next time I do a wheel bearing. I can post a link to it later if you're interested.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #20056
XoXSciFiGuy

Video I did on Eric Ulis, the organizer of last year's 'DB Cooper Convention 2018'. A real jerk, let me assure you. He was offered the hosting job for a combination event, a 'Cooper Party' to replace the famous Ariel Store Cooper Days party that ended in 2015, along with his convention. The cast of Brad Meltzer's Decoded TV show was scheduled to appear, plus a famous Hollywood star. He agreed to host...and then ignored all the emails and phone calls from the other organizers...

Eventually, the event was cancelled. Some time later, he put out a daily video on the Cooper case for just over two months...and then announced he was holding another convention not in Portland...but in Vancouver, WA. There has been little to no interest from the public of course. I personally wasted two months setting up this combo event and why he played that game on everyone we haven't a clue. So he got everything he deserved in the video, which I approached with a partially-comedic angle. You can see it at YouTube, if you're interested.
I get a shot of the truck in there, of course.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #20057
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Bearing tool arrived Tuesday along with the parts, we got home Wednesday. My wife and I went to the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville to get a second opinion on her heart problems.

I got the race off using my Dremel and a cut off wheel, and a chisel

I used the tool to put the bearing in, than the hub, took about 15 minutes, tool worked perfectly and very easy. Funny there is a sticker inside the tool case that says not to use an impact gun but in the instructions it shows an impact gun being used. I used a 3/4" ratchet and socket I have as my largest 1/2" drive socket was too small for the nut that comes with the tool.

Just reinstalled the knuckle (was fun for a while, finally it seated itself on the strut), replaced the brake pads on both sides, greased the slide surfaces and the slide pin/bolts. Just got done getting cleaned up and cooloing off, going to take it for a test drive, hopefully everything is OK.

This is the kit I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #20058
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Nothing on the truck. I need to drive it and probably do an oil change.

The car seems to have a small vacuum leak that is getting worse. It's not happy about the leak.

VAG COM is insane. It told me the car has logged a rear door lock not locking twice in the past, there has been an intermittent issue with the driver door speaker and the tilt sensor has been tripped once. I also set it to automatically lock the doors above 10MPH and unlock when the key is removed. Well worth the $200 investment. Wish the hardbody had something like that!
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #20059
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Right on. I take it you went with the VCDS software? For me it isn't cost effective for the level of wrenching that I do but if I owned a VW product or worked on them more often I wouldn't think twice about buying it. Still I will probably buy the more simplistic version the next time I have to work on one. I find that my generic OBD2 scan tool works fine for the older Japanese stuff I usually work on but it misses a lot of stuff on VWs. One day I'll buy a nicer, more capable scan tool.

Is it a turbo by chance?
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:45 AM   #20060
XoXSciFiGuy

The Foxwell units are pretty good, the mid-priced ones. You can get them at Amazon for around $115-$139. Usually has an eighteen dollar off coupon that goes with the sale.