Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Introductions

Old 01-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #11
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Front end parts should be between 200 to 400 depending on what you do. Given you do the work yourself. If you and a buddy can drop the tranny, should be 1200-1400 to have it rebuilt. Welcome. And gl. Cosmetically it looks very nice. I’m shooting for something similar to this.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #12
KivPanther
Furball

Vehicle: 1994 XE King Cab

If all that ends up being majorly wrong with it is the steering components, you did fine. The nice thing about these old trucks is that they're way easier for the DIY mechanic than anything built past 2000, and these models were popular enough for there to be parts a-plenty. I say keep it and roll up the sleeves. You'll like it more after you fix it up right yourself than if it came working great anyway.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:55 AM   #13
PorknBeans

Vehicle: Original owner of my 3-pdl 1997 Nissan Hardbody King Cab XE 2WD 5-spd.

KEEP THE TRUCK!

This is a true compact truck! They don't make them like this anymore. Like the Panther said, "Anything past model year 2000 is easy to work on for the DIY guy." I wholeheartedly agree!
This is WHY I keep my mid-'90's Sea Doos and stand up ski because they are easy to work on and there is parts o' plenty!
Old 01-06-2021, 04:31 AM   #14
Azoth

Vehicle: '92 D21 KC SE VG30E SOLD

Okay, so I'm not just naive, I'm an idiot.

I didn't check the guy's ID and I haven't gotten around to submitting the title application in yet. But, I realized something a bit late.

I don't know if the seller actually owned the vehicle. There was someone else's name (illegible scribble) on the "Buyer" signature line on the Title, but I didn't think the DMV would take issue with that and let it slide. Now I realize he could be a Title Jumper just flipping a car he got for $500, didn't register or pay taxes on, and sold to this idiot willing to pay $2700. He drove it to my house, then I dropped him off in a parking lot. I don't know his name for certain and I don't know where he lives. I just now purchased the Carfax Report and it was kept up on inspections and registration up until October 2019. He may have just missed registration because he planned on selling it. The wrong signature on the title could be an honest mistake.

I won't be able to get to the Tax Office/DMV until next Friday (using vacation days) to see what they think.

I don't know if a bonded title would be worth it if it wasn't his to sell.

I texted him offering a buyback at a discount, hoping to recover something.

Earlier today I was shopping parts on rockauto, feeling a little better about the purchase and hoping it would prove worthwhile; Now, not so much. Now I'm wondering how I could even get rid of it if I don't have a legit title.

I'm sure this isn't the sort of vibe you'd want on here. Just venting again. Hardest part is not being able to solve this overnight. Can't focus on anything else.

Any advise, comments, criticism, mockery, all welcome.
  • Caveat Emptor
  • Check Id
Azoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #15
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Bummmmmer.... but proceed like normal and keep us posted.

Did you get a "bill of sale" with the title?
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:58 AM   #16
Azoth

Yeah, but no Price and no Signatures. He wrote out the vehicle info, date, and no refunds. I filled my name in the blank. It has his name printed in the same handwriting as the name on the title. He printed instead of signed the title, also. I don't see how the bill of sale could have any significance.

I'd be happy getting the title sorted so I can invest in fixing it up without worrying about someone claiming it's stolen, OR him agreeing to buy it back half off. I bought used because I can't afford new car payments. Now it's getting to be a headache.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:03 AM   #17
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Fill in the price yourself, what do you want to pay taxes on?

BoS would just have the specifics (name, address, vehicle info) documented, a 2nd time.

Did you run a state check on the VIN? I know you got the carfax, but checking on the "stolen" status is where I'm going with this.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,499 Times in 1,317 Posts

When you turn in the title to the DMV, I would not tell them this story.

If they are suspicious, they won't accept it without more proof.

If the DMV questions the printed name, you can just tell them that he didn't know how to write. Schools haven't taught Cursive in a few years (the NY Times says Cursive was stopped in 2010), so it's understandable.

You COULD get a bonded title. Only do that if you have to, though. It costs $100 or so for one from your insurance company, you still have to register it, and the title will come back with BONDED on it. Similar to a SALVAGE title, the title will never be CLEAN.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #19
PoodlePuncher

Vehicle: 95 XE

as long as vin on the title matches the vehicle, and it's signed, i wouldn't worry about it.. I definitely wouldn't mention it to the DMV.

I flip cars all the time, and i only register them if i'm going to drive them for a while.
no sense in waiting 2-6 months (in my area) for the new title to arrive before i can sell the thing.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #20
Azoth

Update:
I SOLD it, so it may or may not pop up here with a new owner.
I thought I was gonna lose it in the Freeze, but it was thawed by Saturday and started up with no leaks.

So, it turns out the guy did in fact * the signature on the Title. It looks like it went through several hands discreetly before it got to me. The Tax Office ignored my uncertainty of the Seller's identification and just gave me an Affidavit for the previous owner to fill out as to why there was an error on the Title. Luckily I was able to persuade him to * that one too and mail it to me as he refused to meet up. Got the Title clean, not bonded, and was able to sell it.

If I had the time/money/space I would have liked to trick it out cause it is a cool little truck, but right now I've gotta go back to new=dependable, so I'll be getting my zx6r back.

Bye, guys
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (02-22-2021)