Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE
Default Battery cables and terminals

Anybody ever make their own battery cables and terminals. The price for a positive cable for a 90 5D 21 is outrages. I’m wondering if it would be cheaper to make one myself. Anybody know what gauge wire is used on the positive and negative cable? My negative cable is almost too short to install new terminals looks like somebody cut it back to install the ones that are on there now. Anybody have a preference on terminal ends?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Go to Walmart and get some aftermarket. Save some $$$
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Battery terminals if that is what you are asking about, I like the Military style, I get them from O'Reily auto parts. I used to recommend these pictured below but it seems O'Reily does not carry this exact one any longer, they do have ones that are similar, these (link below) are the one's O'Reily auto parts sell now, I have used these and they are as good as the others:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/s...=battery+termi

This pic was my former Sentra, that is why the positive and negative terminals are reversed:

I like these terminals because they are made from Zinc, supposed to be more conductive than lead and also because you put your wires on the back bolt (can replace it with a longer one if more space is needed), but if you have to remove the terminal you just loosen the front bolt and don't have to mess with the bolt with your wires on it.

For the ring terminals for the ends of the wire I use regular copper terminals, I bought one of those hydraulic crimpers a while back but you can also crimp them in a vise or solder them on.

For the wire I prefer car audio power cable over battery cable, the car audio wire will have more strands that are a smaller gauge, the car audio wire is much more flexible compared to battery cables.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #4
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Napa carries those - NW 728222 and 728223.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM   #5
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
Napa carries those - NW 728222 and 728223.
$12 each !I paid 3 and change for the ones I have.

, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM   #6
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
$12 each !I paid 3 and change for the ones I have.
Details please
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #7
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
Details please
link I posted above $3.99 each, this particular terminal doesn't have a positive and negative, they fit on either post, the other ones I have are labeled positive and negative, I know O'Reily Auto Parts doesn't sell this brand any more but here is the info. I posted this a while back on the NPORA forum so price may not be the same:

"Just a heads up if anyone may be looking for these,

I just called my local Oreily auto parts store and they are able to get these for me next day from a local warehouse, they are very inexpensive compared to some other sites I have found online, these cost $2.29 each.

They are made from a zinc alloy and are supposed to be more conductive than lead.

this is the terminal I am talking about:

and how they would look on a battery with multiple power wires on them:

Manufacturer info and part numbers:

I've always liked these since seeing them in the Wrangler Power Products Alternator catalog way back, I had a 160 amp dual output external regulator alt. from Wrangler way back in my old hardbody.

I like the fact that you can add or remove cables without having to loosen the mounting bolt, also I have seen variants of these where instead of a nut/bolt where the wires attach they use a threaded rod with a nut on each side.

the part numbers are :

Positive - TZ620
Negative - TZ625

this is from the product listing from the Oreily site:

"
The Noco Company - Battery Terminal Part Number: TZ620
Line: NOC
  • 1 year limited warranty
  • UPC: 46221090444
  • Military Ordinance Style
  • Multiple Gauge
  • Positive Polarity
  • Zinc Material

Detailed Description TZ620 Battery Terminal is a replacement Battery Terminal for virtually all vehicles. Made from a proprietary zinc alloy. These Battery Terminals are 3.6X more conductive than lead battery terminal equivalents. Features an ultra-plating that resists corrosion and oxidation and RoHS complaint.

Manufacturer Information The NocoŽ Company was established back in 1914 when batteries were mere constructed of wood and rubber. The century long voyage began with their world famous NCP-2 Battery Corrosion Preventative (over 700 million applications to date). Since that time, The NocoŽ Company has evolved into one of the industries most reliable and dependable manufacturers of battery accessories in the world. The NocoŽ Company now manufacturers over 1,500 battery accessories products and serves several markets, such as: Automotive, Marine, Recreational Vehicle, Heavy-Duty Truck, Golf Cart, Construction, and Agricultural/Farm.

Noco's commitment to quality, customer service, and research and development began with our founder, Joseph H. Nook. Today, these same principals are the foundation to organizational success and innovation. Over the years our lable has changed, but the NocoŽ name will always assure you of the quality you want and deserve! As we continue on in the 21st century, we look forward to serving our customers, old and new."

Last edited by ahardb0dy; Yesterday at 04:36 PM.