Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Jusseth

Vehicle: 95 Nissan D21 Hardbody
Question Texas to NJ- winter/daily duty

sup fellas,

been thinking this over and over with the lady and we concluded last night that we want to move back to Jersey rather than stay in Texas. We both finished school and we kinda grew up over there (well spent most of our teen yrs there).
I've been working on my HB, a 95 Ext cab 2wd which is a bit lowered now, and just wanted your opinions as to how well it could handle being a winter daily? I've seen the blizzard and winter storms NJ now gets and it doesn't look pretty. The other cars we have are a Juke (fwd/6mt) and a g37 (rwd). Does having 4x4 really make the difference on our HB trucks and them being rwd or will winter/all season tires make up for it?
I plan on thoroughly going through the underbelly and adding some rust proofing before heading up, I've seen some very bad examples of neglect on our babies from people up there.
Jusseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

some winter tires, weight in the bed and you should be ok... sometimes the rear end of a rwd will pass you if your not careful, but that can be fun too, just a learning curve, if at all possible wait until spring so you can get acclimated to the weather etc
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Jusseth (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
86.5KC

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd

Hi Jusseth,
I live only about 20 minutes inland of NJ I can say that I have driven lowered mini trucks up here since I moved here in 1998. I have never considered switching to a 4wd truck.

In my area of Pennsylvania they generally do a good enough job of prepping for the inclement weather and the cleanup after is generally pretty reasonable.

Like Yepee points out all that is really needed are a good set of tires and some additional weight in the bed for most of the commuting. I commute about 35 minutes each way to work and have never had to turn back once I have set out to get pretty much anywhere.

Last edited by 86.5KC; 01-10-2018 at 10:05 PM.
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Jusseth (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Jusseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEPEE View Post
some winter tires, weight in the bed and you should be ok... sometimes the rear end of a rwd will pass you if your not careful, but that can be fun too, just a learning curve, if at all possible wait until spring so you can get acclimated to the weather etc
thanks for the words, and yes, we are planning on now moving sometime end of summer this year (August/September). I will sure keep the weight on bed in mind.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Jusseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5KC View Post
Hi Jusseth,
I live only about 20 minutes inland of NJ I can say that I have driven lowered mini trucks up here since I moved here in 1998. I have never considered switching to a 4wd truck.

In my area of Pennsylvania they generally do a good enough job of prepping for the inclement weather and the cleanup after is generally pretty reasonable.

Like Yepee points out all that is really needed are a good set of tires and some additional weight in the bed for most of the commuting. I commute about 35 minutes each way to work and have never had to turn back once I have set out to get pretty much anywhere.
Thanks!
You mind me asking what you do for undercarriage protection from road salt?
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
86.5KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusseth View Post
Thanks!
You mind me asking what you do for undercarriage protection from road salt?
I wash the truck with a pressure washer after a snow event, paying close attention to all the undercarriage nooks and crannies. I also take the bed off the frame in the spring and clean then rattle-can paint the frame and apply rubberized undercoating to the whole bottom of the cab and bed sheet metal.

Using this basic preventative maintenance, I daily drove my bagged and body dropped B2000 from 1998(when I moved here from GA) until I sold it in 2014 without any rust issues whatsoever.
This is a pic from around 2012 when I had to repair the driver sill-plate and cab corner from running into a curb going through a drive through, while a little lower than ride height. mashed it in about 2.5 inches before I realized what was happening..... what an awful sound.
*And this pic is at or near ride height*

Last edited by 86.5KC; 01-11-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Jusseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5KC View Post
I wash the truck with a pressure washer after a snow event, paying close attention to all the undercarriage nooks and crannies. I also take the bed off the frame in the spring and clean then rattle-can paint the frame and apply rubberized undercoating to the whole bottom of the cab and bed sheet metal.

Using this basic preventative maintenance, I daily drove my bagged and body dropped B2000 from 1998(when I moved here from GA) until I sold it in 2014 without any rust issues whatsoever.
This is a pic from around 2012 when I had to repair the driver sill-plate and cab corner from running into a curb going through a drive through, while a little lower than ride height. mashed it in about 2.5 inches before I realized what was happening..... what an awful sound.
*And this pic is at or near ride height*
sorry don't see any pictures, but thanks for the input. Will keep up with it like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
86.5KC

Yeah, I have not gotten the full gist of how to share photos from Google, as of yet.
The pic did show for me before I closed the site, but It looks like I was fooled.
Will keep trying. lol
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

aside from your truck, I am not sure how the weather differs from where you are in Texas to NJ, but you may want to give yourself time to adjust...if you can. I moved to PHX in the middle of June (110+) now its not a big deal, but that first summer was not a good one!
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #10
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusseth View Post
thanks for the words, and yes, we are planning on now moving sometime end of summer this year (August/September). I will sure keep the weight on bed in mind.
East or West Texas?
Hope the move goes well for y'all!

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote