Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
86.5KC

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd

You could , but going from a 95 to an 88 dash will mean that you will need to convert your transmission speed sensor from the electronic sender that you currently have to a manual speedo cable. These trucks are plagued by speedo cable issues, so I would advise against it. But hey if you have both trucks on hand and want to undertake the swap you have all the parts.
The gauge wiring will also be different between the two trucks and all the connectors will need to be changed out so that the gauges will work, but the wiring how to for the dash-swap should get you all the info you need to go either direction, although it was written to swap from the old-style dash to the new-style dash.......
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
jph

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Pickup

10-4, thanks. I only ask because I'm halfway thinking about going the other way with this project -- swapping my good engine and transmission into the clean shell, since my existing frame isn't all that great either. That's WAY above my skill level, but I have someone more experienced who could take the lead on it.

The catch is that my current truck is automatic, and the donor shell was a manual, so as you said I'd need to move some accessories and electronics along with it. Not to mention the big hole in the floor where the gearshift came out of the donor truck, so I guess maybe I'd be better off just swapping the whole cab instead of the dash....

That all sounds like way more trouble than it's worth just to get a slightly better frame underneath me, but we'll see.
jph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #13
jph

Wow - getting that bed off was harder than I expected - bolts near the front are hard to access. But itís worth it ó very clean. Itís finally off, and Iíve started unscrewing bumpers and other fender pieces. Wish me luck.

By the way - does anybody know if the interior door trim pieces are interchangeable from 88 to 95? Iíd like to use the new doors but keep my original trim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3B22FE0-568D-41DC-ADD9-158BB1286A25.jpg (21.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 085EE514-C291-4C11-BC91-FCAECDBBFF38.jpg (21.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 AM   #14
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,298 Posts

Yes, it's interchangeable
Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
jph

So I’m about half done. Got all the parts I need off the donor truck and ready to go. I also did a lot of picking and combining today on random little interior pieces, like the steering wheel and seatbelt attachment bolt covers, and then making the best possible combos on the the rubber trim, window channel guides, door panels, etc. Now I just have to pull everything off my truck and put the new body panels and bed on.

As far as tips or suggestions for anybody who sees this post in the future and plans to do the same job, I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said better. I’ll just offer two thoughts.

1) If you don’t already own one of those handy ratcheting wrenches in 10, 11, and 12 mm, buy them before you start. About 90% of the screws you need to take out are those sizes, and some are in very tight places where a socket can’t reach and a standard wrench takes forever.

2) It all takes longer than you think because it’s layered. You have to take off the hood so you can take off the wiper cowl so you can reach that last screw to take off the fender so you can take off the door....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70FE0283-0FB2-40AD-9909-D388856CE562.jpg (21.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4DF72770-73E6-4990-9A49-6F4AA759CC1F.jpg (21.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #16
jph

And Bama - thanks for response about the door trim panels. My 95 interior panels have a lip that goes up and over the door, so they sit flush with the window, while the 88 panels only go up to about an inch or so below the window. But that was actually great because it let me repurpose the good leftover interior window trim on the 88 donor to replace some rusted out exterior components. Great combo.

Last edited by jph; 01-15-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 AM   #17
jph

It’s been a few weeks and I’m slowly making progress. Only able to put in an hour or two each Saturday, but I’m finally getting there. The whole reason I’m doing this project is because my original truck was both rusted and dented, but that is exactly what makes this so tough — because I’m trying to fit straight new parts onto slightly bent supports, so everything is just slightly out of whack.

For anybody who reads this in the future, here’s a couple more compatibility things to watch out for.

First, turns out the antenna is not in exactly the same place on the right fender for the 88 and the 95, so I had to cut off the mast and reposition it.

Second, and this one really caught me by surprise, the inside door lock posts are not the same. The 95 door trim goes over the window lip, while the 88 trim stops a couple inches below it. That’s a problem because when you put the 95 trim on the 88 door, the lock post are not tall enough to poke up through the trim. Luckily for me, the previous owner had installed some tacky aftermarket chrome posts, and the threads at the top were the same as standard valve stem extenders, so I just screwed the extenders in and that made them tall enough. Otherwise I would have had to swap out the rods from inside all the doors.

This whole thing has been a real pain in the neck, but it will be worth it when I’m finished. The pic (which I just set as my profile pic) shows how it is right now, at the halfway point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0C26229-454D-4B62-A283-C5A1F7B6B7C8.jpg (24.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by jph; 01-29-2018 at 03:11 AM.