Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
"edit: I also noticed coolant under my truck but it was cold so I think it may have been from the last time I parked a couple days ago (I spent my whole weekend indoors how's that for antisocial haha). That did mean that my reservoir was just about empty though. I doubt low coolant is the issue though because something made it overflow at some point. I just filled the thing like a month ago. "
You have a coolant leak somewhere. Overflow can be caused by a motor low on coolant, forcing up steam that shoves out the remaining coolant. Fill up the radiator, start it up, and find out where it's coming from. That is the problem. If your water pump was the cause, it would almost certainly be making noise. If it sounds smooth up front, you have either a bad gasket somewhere, or a leaking hose. When the motor is started for testing, listen for noise from the water pump. Most pumps going bad make NOISE. If it sounds smooth, it probably isn't the pump, although the gasket could be bad. Check for drips from anywhere while running.

Pull your dipstick and check for white or yellow where straight oil should be.

Look at the underside of the radiator cap for the same thing.

If none of those things are present, you simply have a leak. Identify where and FIX. That's my best advice. Until then, pack some water in your truck. In your picture, the tops of the bolts look wet. Check the gasket, and any others where coolant passes for leaks.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-04-2018 at 09:34 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

i deleted that stupid return hose. and i havent had a single problem since it was removed. i had a bad upper hose, so that meant i had to buy it locally. that was 20 some odd bucks and i couldnt bring myself to hack up a 20 dollar hose which would add another point of potential failure.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

and the absolute easiest way to find a coolant leak is to get a coolant pressure tester. mine kept loosing coolant, but i never saw it anywhere. i could smell it after driving, but no visual evidence anywhere.

i borrowed a tester, pumped it up to 20 PSI and holy shit i found the LEAKS. i had 6 hose clamps that were seeping coolant. as bad as i hate the toyota style clamps, the worm drive clamps are worse. at least the toyota style maintain constant pressure around the hose. the mistake i made was i never rechecked the worm clamps after i replaced every coolant hose on the truck.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #14
Natnater

Vehicle: 97 D21 for the most part

Thanks for the tips guys. Learning a lot.

Went out to check it this morning and my truck has 0 coolant in it. Considering I just filled it up last night that's concerning. I put what little I had left (hardly enough to fill it) in so I could try to run some tests. Didn't see anything coming from the weep hole or hoses but I may not have put enough coolant in either.

My exhaust was kind of white and sweet smelling but not overtly so. I know that means I have coolant going into my engine but the question is how. Like I said it's not like billowing white smoke, honestly I thought it was just white from it being a bit cold out but it smelled kinda sweet for exhaust.

I think my dad has a pressure kit I can borrow over the weekend.

Anyway, questions:

Would the coolant have to be full to really notice it weeping or leaking?
There's a clicking noise as the engine runs. It's pretty methodical, about two ticks per second. It sounds like it's coming from the water pump area but I can't be sure. I don't think it's a belt.

The fan clutch did engage though
Natnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #15
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I would fill it all the way back up first before doing any pressure testing. You can also take the belt off that drives the water pump and start the truck for a minute. If the clicking noise goes away it probably is the water pump. Also try and spin the water pump by hand, if there's a lot of end play or the bearing feels gritty or really loose it's time for a new one.

Also, pull your dipstick out and make sure you don't have any coolant in the oil. It can leak where the timing cover mates to the block. I think your leak is probably 100% external but it never hurts to check.

Good luck, there really aren't too many places it can leak out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
Good thing its not like the oil pump, thats the shitter.
Hahaha right? It's not like like it's that hard to get to or anything, it's just getting the damn distributor timed right afterwards.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:04 AM   #16
Natnater

Thanks for all the help guys. For now I'm just gonna keep dumping coolant into it until I get a break to check it. Let's hope it lasts the week :/

I'll check the dipstick in the morning though and report back.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,084 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnater View Post
My exhaust was kind of white and sweet smelling but not overtly so. I know that means I have coolant going into my engine but the question is how. Like I said it's not like billowing white smoke, honestly I thought it was just white from it being a bit cold out but it smelled kinda sweet for exhaust.
That white smoke from coolant could be because the truck overheated and you blew a head gasket. That is very possible when you are running out of coolant.

Are you refilling the radiator with coolant (and not just water)?

If the coolant is slowly leaking back out, it's probably the water pump.

If the coolant is violently blowing back out the overflow, your water pump is still probably out, but the low coolant situation overheated the engine and caused you to blow the head gasket.

If you can't drive the truck a while, use Uber.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
"My exhaust was kind of white and sweet smelling but not overtly so. I know that means I have coolant going into my engine but the question is how. Like I said it's not like billowing white smoke, honestly I thought it was just white from it being a bit cold out but it smelled kinda sweet for exhaust..."
Either the head gasket is blown, or you have a crossover leak through the intake manifold somehow. You said your coolant was nearly empty the last time you filled it. If it were just a leak, you would know by now.

I know that's a bummer, but I think that's the problem.

How many miles are on this engine, and what recent work has been done to it?

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 AM   #19
Natnater

okidok guys I'm alive. 120 hr work week really took time away from solving this problem. Thankfully coolant is cheap.

So I got some buds at work to look at it and they all agree it's just the water pump. There hasn't been any white coming from the exhaust since that one time in the morning so I think it may have been caused by humidity or something. I have a bit of an exhaust leak so I probably smelled that.

The problem has actually de-escalated a bit. It hasn't dumped coolant everywhere since the day I made the OP and the leaking has slowed quite a bit. I'm going to attribute that to my driving it relatively gently and not just totally gunning it everywhere like a bat out of hell lol. The truck sits in a gravel lot for 8 hours as I use company vehicles and the radiator only drains about halfway in that time.

I still won't have a chance to fix it soon but at least I know the issue isn't too terrible. I'll keep this thread updated with any more information but thank you guys for helping me with my crisis
Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 AM   #20
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Draining half ur radiator while it's sitting means it's leaking more than just out the water pump dude...
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote