Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Old 05-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #1
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Default Oregon Solar Eclipse Camping Trip

EVENT: A campout this August in the Umatilla National Forest, some miles NORTH of the town of John Day, Oregon. It is in eastern Oregon.

Dates and Times: Setup will be done by yours truly and one other person several days prior to the meetup. Event runs from Thursday morning, August 17, until Monday afternoon August 21. Registered attendees can show up anytime they wish during those dates and are guaranteed camp spots. The eclipse itself (and our location is dead center in the Path of Totality) happens at 10:24AM on Monday, August 21. After the eclipse is over, we will be packing up and heading home, although anyone else is free to hang around for more days if they wish.

You can view the famous Eclipse Map from Xavier Javier HERE.

Special Considerations: A virtual TON of people all over Oregon and Washington are scrambling to find 'their spot' to view/photograph the eclipse. So, we are not making the exact location of the campout public to anyone except those who inquire about attending, and are approved to attend. Then you get the maps and details. If I were to make the exact spot public, it is possible that other folks might decide to show up there earlier and take our spot. And no one gets those maps and directions until the Wednesday before the campout. We email you PDF's containing the maps and directions, which are easy to follow. However, we WILL provide you with all other details beforehand, stay in contact with you, answer your questions, etc before the campout. This is done in the interest of security. There is no charge to attend.

What I CAN tell you about the campout publicly:

1) It's a four-day party. Have no illusions. No one under 21 is allowed. Music, TV, movies, video game systems, charging for your devices, etc is all possible. We're using deep cycle batteries coupled with a 750-watt inverter to power everything. A generator is available but we'd rather not fire up the noisy thing unless we have to charge the batteries.

2) It's at 5,500 feet with great views, but you can drive there no problem.

3) Sponsors are the staff of Adventure Books of Seattle. They will be providing two free BBQ dinners, Saturday and Sunday. Anything else you are on your own. Do we care if you bring alcohol, or anything else? NO. Oregon is a pretty liberal state. Please don't go crazy on us, though. Otherwise you will be asked to go somewhere else.

4) Target shooting in the National Forests is legal, but no shooting at the campsite. You have to drive at least a mile away. Usual Forest Service rules apply on that: No shooting within 1,000 feet of organized campgrounds, no shooting across bodies of water, trails, or roads. You must be LEGAL to own a gun, and the gun you own must be legal itself. Use a good backstop. Sometimes Forest Service rangers, if they hear shooting, will drop by to check and see if you are obeying the rules. They can also run NCIC checks, even in the field way out there. If they find you AREN'T legal to own a gun, they will take both you and your gun to jail. And they won't let you pack up your gear, and they won't care whether your rig just sits out there until you make bail, either. I have personally seen them do this. So be legal.

5) No motor homes or trailers are allowed. Trucks with campers, or vans, ARE allowed. Most people coming (eight so far) are using tents.

6) We're not trying to organize Woodstock - The Eclipse. Once we reach a maximum of 20 confirmed attendees, we're cutting it off right there. That's only a dozen more people.

7) This campout will be filmed off and on all weekend for a video to be uploaded to YouTube. We're also set up to shoot the actual eclipse, and everyone attending will have access to the still shots. Bring something to download them ONTO.

8) According to coverage maps, cell phone service there is non-existent. But at 5,500 feet, you MIGHT be able to get a signal. No guarantees, though. We've told the people coming already they are free to bring their own music on flash drives, CD's, or movies they like, or even video game systems for entertainment. We can run everything, no problem. We have a good stereo and a TV with a built in DVD player. Since campfires will probably NOT be allowed in August, we have a substitute powered by propane tanks.

9) There will be a shower tent, a toilet tent, a First Aid station, and an outdoor handwashing station for use by everyone.

10) Come self-contained, and bring at least TEN GALLONS of fresh water. We are asking people to help with the washing/shower water. This can be water right out of your garden hose. Bring supplies, power, and fuel enough to last you the full length of the trip. The nearest store is more than twenty miles away over a Forest Service road. DRINKING water will be provided on ice, plenty of it. Average daytime temp in that area in August is about 90 degrees. A large sunshade, 20x30 feet, will be provided. Don't forget to bring some eclipse glasses.

This is a serious commitment. Think about it before you consider going. But if you're interested, best way is to contact me privately by EMAIL. I'm one of two guys going out there to do setup. So you'll know, we've been planning this trip and gathering the gear since January.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-07-2017 at 07:57 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

The solar eclipse should be neat. I know every hotel and campsite in central Oregon is packed and I know a few people renting out rooms in their house for $2500 a NIGHT! My sister is in prineville which is supposed to be the best spot in the world for this eclipse so my family will probably be there for the day.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:21 AM   #3
NessieShubert

Vehicle: Nissan Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
The solar eclipse should be neat. I know every hotel and campsite in central Oregon is packed and I know a few people renting out rooms in their house for $2500 a NIGHT! My sister is in prineville which is supposed to be the best spot in the world for this eclipse so my family will probably be there for the day.

Good for you then! I hope we'll be able to make it. I would love to see the performances as well.
NessieShubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Sounds like a blast. Nothing better than camping out in the summer. I will be in the trip cities area of WA by then. Wonder if I'll be able to see it from there.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Sounds like a blast. Nothing better than camping out in the summer. I will be in the trip cities area of WA by then. Wonder if I'll be able to see it from there.
No. If you want to see where the eclipse will be at any given point in time, check my post above near the beginning of the post. The Xavier Javier map link at Google Maps. It's pretty much the Bible Map on the eclipse.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
Thanked by:
SBJ (06-05-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:27 AM   #6
NessieShubert

You're right, Deerhurst. My sister and her family are having a hard time in booking a hotel. She said all the hotels they have tried are all full-packed.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Hotels? Ha. That's no way to experience the eclipse. We have a much better idea in mind, but attendance is restricted and you have to jump through a couple of hoops. Because of the nature of this event, it's the only way we could do it successfully. The security is fairly tight. This kind of meetup isn't for everyone. My best advice is to study the post carefully, discuss it privately, and then decide if you want to contact us.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #8
NessieShubert

We'll be doing that XoXSciFiGuy
Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieShubert View Post
We'll be doing that XoXSciFiGuy
Well, what the heck. There are advantages to staying at the hotel and just viewing the eclipse from there. For one thing, you don't have to check on your bed before it gets dark. The hotel maids will appear like the Cleaning Fairies and take care of business. I'm almost envious. I have to sleep on a cot and do a lot of the cooking. I had to get an Oregon State Food Handler's card just to do this. Online test, fee, whatever. It was easy. I already passed the test for Washington last year for another event.

Once I started this thing and folks as crazy as me came on board, I was kind of stuck. Now I have to go through with it. Maybe we won't get any more than the eight people signed up right now. That wouldn't break my heart, although I'm willing to sign a few more. I expect when July comes, we will start to get messages. Truth is, that might be too late. Since we're bringing so much stuff, it's necessary to know how many are coming, and as early as possible. Slots could fill up fast.

You and yours at the hotel, us up in the middle of nowhere.

I think both of us will have fun aplenty.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
XoXSciFiGuy

Applications to attend end on July 31.

Best way to contact me on it is email: adventurebooksofseattleATgmail.

Website with updates and information is HERE.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 07-11-2017 at 09:14 AM.