Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
95hardbody2x4

Vehicle: Nissan hardbody xe kingcab 2x4 1995
Default Egr delete??? New to hardbody and IN

I bought a 95 2wd ka24e auto has 170.000 on it and the rod bearing is done so I am in the middle of pulling engine to rebuild it... I was wondering what affects will I have if I remove egr system and block off intake and exhaust where it was??? Thanks
95hardbody2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
TxD21

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan D21

Well on the upside...hot exhaust gas wont be pushed back into your intake. The only downside would be your annual inspection if you have one. Here where I live they dont care about emission checks but everywhere is different
TxD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Minibeast (04-14-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
SkinnyG
UYFBR

Vehicle: 1994 Hardbody

The hot exhaust being pushed back into your intake reduces combustion temperatures, reducing NOx and the production of photo-chemical smog. Which we all have to breathe.

Worried about power? EGR shuts off at full throttle, so keeping it does not hurt performance at all.

Worried about fuel economy? By adding the inert exhaust gas to the incoming air charge at cruise, EGR actually improves your fuel economy.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

So why do so many 4x4 performance websites say to remove it? I don't know what the thing does, but I know my friends in the mustang scene and a lot of 4x4 boards I've read say removing EGR and any other emissions stuff makes the vehicle run better.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
SkinnyG
UYFBR

I just wrote what the thing does.

I have found many, many, many, many websites that recommend removing it.

It doesn't mean they are correct.

There are also many, many, many, many ignorant people out there. Try not to be one of them.

If the EGR system on your vehicle is faulty, ~repair~it~ : you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose by keeping it.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
There are also many, many, many, many ignorant people out there. Try not to be one of them.
That's my goal, but you must understand why I don't disregard everything else I've read and simply lap up your input with no question.

When reading through threads such as this one - http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/for...-delete-vg30e/ - there are multiple people reporting power/mileage gains with EGR removed. Now, they don't have any dyno charts or anything to support this, but I simply must take all the input that I'm given and draw conclusions from said input. You present the opinion that EGR helps, they present the opinion that it hurts. I simply want to know the truth.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Tally HB
The Old Guy

Vehicle: 1989 D21 Base 2WD 2.4L

I have never understood how its good to pump partially unburned bad nasty shit back into a clean air and fuel mixture.

Maybe it works until the carbon builds up in the EGR system, but from what I have seen, that doesn't take long.
Tally HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
SkinnyG
UYFBR

Tally: Exhaust gas is ~inert~, that is, it does not contribute to, nor detract from, normal combustion. Think of it as packing peanuts surrounding your product inside a shipped box. It isn't really "anything." Thus, if your 2.4L is cruising along burning only 2.0L of air/fuel, then you are burning less fuel.

Mason: Thank you for not just taking all you read blindly. Not even my stuff. Gather all the information you can, make your own decision, then test to confirm. If nothing else, you become highly opinionated like me

That's a thorough thread. Like you said, lots of opinion both ways, no empirical testing or data though.

If your engine is tired and burning oil, the EGR system will plug up and fail. The fault is not the EGR system, the fault is oil consumption.

I may plug the hose to my EGR just to see what happens. I've been documenting my fuel mileage with every tank for three solid years. I'm currently averaging 24.09mpg (imperial). Might make for some interesting data.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
Tally HB
The Old Guy

Vehicle: 1989 D21 Base 2WD 2.4L

Quote:
Tally: Exhaust gas is ~inert~, that is, it does not contribute to, nor detract from, normal combustion. Think of it as packing peanuts surrounding your product inside a shipped box. It isn't really "anything." Thus, if your 2.4L is cruising along burning only 2.0L of air/fuel, then you are burning less fuel.
The exhaust itself may be inert but it carries a lot of stuff with it. I have seen EGR valves on relatively new vehicles clogged up with black carbon. There is no way a valve can perform as designed if it is clogged.
Tally HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
fakemike
))<>((

Vehicle: 94 Hardbody

Quote:
If the EGR system on your vehicle is faulty, ~repair~it~ : you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose by keeping it.

Well, you have money to lose.

New egr valve = $120

Block off plate = free or $10 to buy

I see what you are saying though. I guess I should fix mine and get the check engine light to stay off.
fakemike is offline   Reply With Quote