Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #151
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Skip the silicone gasket stuff. Use the old-fashioned brown Permatex instead. Makes a mess of your fingers if you don't wear rubber gloves, but you don't want to do this again.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #152
urimashe

Vehicle: nissan hardbody 1993

I use ford motocraft stuff. since thats who i work for. we have this high grade stuff that we use on vehicles that need sealing in high hear high oil areas such as oil pants and intake manifolds. works good. never had a leaking problem with that stuff. also got this other stuff thats grey, real thick, works well for oil pans and front diff covers.
urimashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 AM   #153
urimashe

So i took the engine out, started swapping stuff over to the new engine, resealing the new engine. replaced timing belt, and got ready to put the timing cover on, and realized the oil pump is different on the new engine, so i have to tear it back down again, to change that pump out, the reason this build is taking so long is i had my wisdom teeth removed, and some complications put me out for 2 weeks. so im running behind on top of the mistake i made. next weekend the engine will be in the truck, at least. hope to have it running soon after.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #154
urimashe

Well, napa screwed up on ordering parts for my engine, I got the oil pump reinstalled but its missing its crank seal, I went and put the separator plate on and the flywheel, removed the pilot bushing for the auto trans, and installed the bushing for the manual trans, aligned the clutch disk and pressure plate, then dropped the motor in to the engine bay, its not fully seated to the trans, had a heck of a time aligning it, ran out of time for today, but I can at least say the engine is sitting in the engine bay, soon as the seal arrives, I will install it. then I will put the timing belt back on and the thermostat and coolant lines. get the timing cover squared away, and next Saturday I will get the engine jack back out and try to mate the engine to the trans fully. I hope I can get this thing running soon, it still has not snowed here but its coming.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #155
urimashe

Engine is in, accessories are hooked, up, this Saturday i will have the trans bolted to the engine, the front dif in, the radiator back in and everything hooked up and ready to fire up, if all goes well i should have a picture of the final product.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #156
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,093 Times in 964 Posts

How many of the Maxima parts are you keeping? It would certainly look unique to have that Maxima intake under the hood, but I imagine that would be difficult to work out.

I bet it's starting to get cold and the days are getting really short up there.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #157
urimashe

Yea, days have been getting shorter, The temp has been pretty warm, just got down below freezing here on sunday, and it snowed. but its suppose to warm up again, its all due to the warmer ocean temps we are seeing, I am okay with it. its nice not freezing. The truck Ran on Saturday. Fired right up on the first crank. someone threw away my exhaust manifold to y-pipe gaskets though, so I had to order new ones which I just got today. soon as I get them on and the new taillight in, I can drive it. pictures will come when im able to drive it. The maxima parts where too different to bother using. it all bolts up, but I didn't want to try it and experience clearance issues. The oil pump HAS to be changed out. the timing covers don't fit right if you don't. The old motor actually has a damaged crank, the keyway for the timing sprocket cracked and sheered the wall off, so the sprocket would rotate 30 degrees, the camshaft sprockets where also off a few teeth. I think them being off where the only reason the motor didn't lock up being an interference motor. I am debating on weather to toss it. or buy a new crank and slowly have a machine shop build the motor out to something with more performance. I Don't know yet. all of it costs money, and I have very little of that.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #158
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Sadly the VG30 doesn't make much power per $$ unless you boost it.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #159
urimashe

Building a boosted Vg30 is the idea. could buy a nice forged or billet crank, rods, pistons. check the deck for flatness, polish the heads, bore the cylinders. at that point it would be perfect for boost.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #160
urimashe

GOOD NEWS! Last Saturday I got everything finished, tail light in, exhaust gaskets, 4wd hooked back up, everything, vehicle is happy, fires up first crank every time. I had some photos taken of the engine put back together, and of the inside of the car, and a short video on my phone to post for you guys to see, but for some reason, all the photos I took from last Saturday have disappeared on my phone, not just the photos but the video too, and all the messages I sent to friends and family, its like the day never happened at all to my phone. but Easy enough for me to fix, ill just snap a few new photos for you guys. I will probably start a new thread for that though, since this was to fix an issue with the vehicle, oh and I drove the truck 50 miles on sunday, and have driven it to work every day this week, so far so good. needs a sound system now. speakers are factory paper.