Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #18091
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88D21503 View Post
Costs too much for a decent paint job and I'm afraid I'd screw it up myself. Curious about vinyl wrapping.
I do my own body work and I've become pretty good at it. Materials are cheap but it's labor intensive. I'll do the work a little at a time while I continue to drive the vehicle. When I'm done, I strip the vehicle down as much as I can and then have it trailered to MAACO. I have them paint it for $500 - $700, trailer it home and I put it back together again.

I'm paying them for their spraying skills and the use of their oven. Its an economical way to get a vehicle looking good again. I've gone to regular body shops and they typically want $2,500 and up just to spray a vehicle.

I've built a temporary booth out of PVC pipe and plastic sheets and did the base coat/clear coat thing but won't do that again. The cost and aggravation plus the end results makes the MAACO option a lot more attractive.

VOTS

1995 XE, V6, 5 Speed
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #18092
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
Man, that headliner looks great. I'm surprised you got the plastic B pillars off without breaking something. When I tried to remove mine I broke a clip on each side and gave up, I didn't want to damage them any further. I ended up having to cut the headliner in half to get it out. I just left the back half off of it when I reinstalled.

Thanks, sir. Couldn't pass on it for $15 or so, and with the spare original headliner panel I can take my time when I recover it in the future. Will go Alcantara if I can't get the Pathfinder fabric. Pulling the back panels wasn't too bad. Tops of the bottom panels need to pop out so that they can be removed safely. Would be better with them out the truck completely. And my truck is 10yrs newer, so they're probably less brittle.

This before photo is actually pretty flattering because it's blurry and hides some of the splatter stains and small tears, and the driver visor covers most of the big hole that was right in front my face. My finger would go in it if I wasn't mindful when lowering the visor. Big ass bubble can be plainly seen though. Glad this POS is gone.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #18093
88D21503

Vehicle: 1988 D21 2wd z24i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOTS95 View Post
I do my own body work and I've become pretty good at it. Materials are cheap but it's labor intensive. I'll do the work a little at a time while I continue to drive the vehicle. When I'm done, I strip the vehicle down as much as I can and then have it trailered to MAACO. I have them paint it for $500 - $700, trailer it home and I put it back together again.

I'm paying them for their spraying skills and the use of their oven. Its an economical way to get a vehicle looking good again. I've gone to regular body shops and they typically want $2,500 and up just to spray a vehicle.

I've built a temporary booth out of PVC pipe and plastic sheets and did the base coat/clear coat thing but won't do that again. The cost and aggravation plus the end results makes the MAACO option a lot more attractive.

VOTS
That sounds like a good plan. I've heard horror stories about MAACO paint jobs turning out terrible or not lasting but it usually sounds like lack of prep and bad mask jobs with over spray every where.
88D21503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:51 AM   #18094
GaBluD214X4

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1994

Have pretty much decided that I will go the MAACO route just to get it all one color.

Worked in a body shop years back and if they will work with me will do the same and strip it all down and prep it myself.

The not so funny thing is that I still know guys in the business and even they will not "just spray it" for me. Which in a way I get and in other ways I don't get at all. Is what it is.

Put on the LEGO wheels and tires today.

Looks like after two hours on FB the old chrome set will most likely sell quick.

Also since quickly learning how to remove, clean, prep, bleed and re-install the KA24E hydraulic lifter/rockers ( after doing it three times ) about 95% of my tick has been eliminated.

The truck however still smokes worse than most diesel trucks around here so my next lesson might be the cylinder rope trick for the valve seals.
1994, SWB, Reg Cab, 2.4L, 5SPD, 4X4, Blue/Grey, Chrome Package, Power Mirrors, A/C, Factory Bedliner, Changes so far: 90' model grill and lower valance, 97 3-piece rear window, bucket seats, LEGO wheels with Kenda Klever AT 31x10.50x15
GaBluD214X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:20 AM   #18095
brandonodom18

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan hardbody 2wd, 1993 nissan hardbody 4wd

Well guys itís been awhile since I posted about my trucks. I been upgrading my 4x4 and Iím almost done with the interior on the 2wd. Also does anybody know anyone around the Mississippi area with a nice set of LEGO rims I can buy. I have searched high and low for a set at scrap yards but nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A840D0BB-8506-49D9-AB75-2CA55E08EE78.jpg (20.0 KB, 1 views)

brandonodom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #18096
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBluD214X4 View Post
Have pretty much decided that I will go the MAACO route just to get it all one color.

Worked in a body shop years back and if they will work with me will do the same and strip it all down and prep it myself.

The not so funny thing is that I still know guys in the business and even they will not "just spray it" for me. Which in a way I get and in other ways I don't get at all. Is what it is.

Looks like after two hours on FB the old chrome set will most likely sell quick.

Also since quickly learning how to remove, clean, prep, bleed and re-install the KA24E hydraulic lifter/rockers ( after doing it three times ) about 95% of my tick has been eliminated.

The truck however still smokes worse than most diesel trucks around here so my next lesson might be the cylinder rope trick for the valve seals.
When the truck is cold, stick your finger into the exhaust pipe and swirl it around. Are you coming up with dry black carbon powder, or wet oil? If it's carbon, it isn't oil leaking past the rings, but something else having to do with tune up issues.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #18097
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

ahardbody did his seals with the rope trick and it sounded lime he had a great time...sarcasm! But the before and after pics showed why it was worth replacing them.

Foul_Mouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #18098
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

Those lego wheels are just too cool. I'm with you guys on the cost of paint jobs... reason my truck has kept the crappy rattle can job one of the POs did to it is because getting someone to paint a vehicle costs so much. I know myself well enough to know I'd not do a good job on it trying to do it myself.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #18099
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,093 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBluD214X4 View Post
I'm the odd man here, but I think these chrome wheels look better with Grover's blue paint than the LEGO wheels.

Don't let my opinion change you, though! I'm just one dude with a warped perspective on ...everything!
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #18100
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

I'm with you JP. Felt the same way when I saw the pics last night.

Only I didn't submit my unsolicited criticism because I'm not a fucking DICK.
OldGreyBeast (10-03-2018)