Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 10-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #21
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max20s14 View Post
Huntsville. The dude I bought it from said he replaced the timing chain maybe he didnt set it right? Also the bottom bolt is missing from the distributer
Yes, thatís exactly what happened. He didnít install the shaft correctly. Luckily itís not too difficult or time consuming to correct this. You might want to go ahead and replace the thermostat with a genuine Nissan thermostat. Running too cold can have an adverse effect on gas mileage.

Also, make sure you disconnect the throttle position sensor when setting the timing.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,093 Times in 964 Posts

You may be able to just turn the distributor.

I mean, that dude is cranked all the way, as far as it will go, to the Left.

Would all the way to the Left put it in that 25-30į BTDC range?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #23
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Huntsville. The dude I bought it from said he replaced the timing chain maybe he didnt set it right? Also the bottom bolt is missing from the distributer
aha...this sounds like an incorrectly installed oil pump spindle. Pull distributor. Use big bad wrench to turn crank bolt and bring motor to TDC. Pull the number one spark plug first. Use your finger to cover the plug hole while bringing the engine around to TDC. You should feel some air pressure on the compression stroke. When you know you are on the comp stroke, remove your finger and lay a thin screwdriver in the plug hole. Use the wrench to bring the piston to the very top of the stroke. You will know you reached that point when the piston starts to go back down. Then reverse the bolt and bring the piston right back up to TDC.

Look down the distributor hole to see if the spindle is in the correct position. If it isn't...pull the oil pump and reset it to the correct position.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-01-2018 at 04:05 PM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
max20s14

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody/2014 FRS

I did not disconnect the TPS when I checked it. Does this make a difference? If i move the dist. The other way it just gets further way from that most right timing mark
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #25
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
I did not disconnect the TPS when I checked it. Does this make a difference? If i move the dist. The other way it just gets further way from that most right timing mark
Yes it can. Try it again with the tps disconnected
Old 10-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #26
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD

Quote:

You're just about 45 mins away from me. Quite a few guys from AL on this board.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #27
max20s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Yes it can. Try it again with the tps disconnected
Yeah its the same with the TPS unplugged
Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 AM   #28
max20s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
aha...this sounds like an incorrectly installed oil pump spindle. Pull distributor. Use big bad wrench to turn crank bolt and bring motor to TDC. Pull the number one spark plug first. Use your finger to cover the plug hole while bringing the engine around to TDC. You should feel some air pressure on the compression stroke. When you know you are on the comp stroke, remove your finger and lay a thin screwdriver in the plug hole. Use the wrench to bring the piston to the very top of the stroke. You will know you reached that point when the piston starts to go back down. Then reverse the bolt and bring the piston right back up to TDC.

Look down the distributor hole to see if the spindle is in the correct position. If it isn't...pull the oil pump and reset it to the correct position.
Do I need to remove the timing cover chain and everything to correct the oil pump position assuming that is the problem?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:25 AM   #29
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Do I need to remove the timing cover chain and everything to correct the oil pump position assuming that is the problem?
No you donít have to remove the timing cover. This thread should explain how to do it. http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ression+stroke
Old 10-02-2018, 03:48 AM   #30
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Pictures below show correct oil pump spindle position, and final distributor (with rotor connected) position for your truck. At top dead center.

Oil spindle position, correct, at TDC: Notice if you looking down at the engine from the drivers' side, spindle is at the 11:25 clock position. Not 1130, not 1120, which will be OFF by a bunch of degrees. 11:25 o clock. Notice the end of the spindle is slightly toward the FRONT of the engine.

Distributor with rotor installed position, correct, at TDC:

NOTE: The real problem here is when you line up the matchmarks between the body of the oil pump and the spindle...
and you start sticking that oil pump up the hole...
That the spindle has a bad habit of moving one tooth, one way or another, putting you at 1130 or 1120.
And the only way to get around this is a real PITA. You have to get it up there all the way, stick in a single bolt to hold the oil pump in place...

And climb out from under the damn truck and get up there and LOOK at the spindle. If it's wrong, you have to pull it back OUT...line up the marks again...and do the same thing. LOL you get tired doing this, too. Been there. But when you finally get it right, then lock down the oil pump bolts and you are good to go. Just make sure you have that engine at absolute Top Dead Center before you begin the oil pump install.

The reason for sticking a thin screwdriver into the number one spark plug hole while pulling the engine around with the Big Damn Wrench on the crank bolt is simple. You can feel the piston coming UP as you turn the crank bolt. You can feel it touching the screwdriver. At some point it will reach the very top of the stroke and start to go back down. That's when you reverse your crank bolt turn a hair until you get it back to absolute TDC. Works every time. You stick your finger in the spark plug hole at first, to make sure you are coming up on the compression stroke, instead of the exhaust stroke. You will feel air pushing against your finger.

When sliding the oil pump up through the distributor hole, it's almost like surgery. The slightest bump will sometimes move the spindle and throw it off the marks. An assistant who understands how this works can be a big help. That way you don't have to keep climbing out from under the truck to look. I once had to do that a dozen times.

And if you pull your oil pump...always replace the gasket afterward.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-02-2018 at 04:10 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote