Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-24-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
thatsmychin

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1993
Default Compatible LSD for an HG43 Axle

Greetings!

I've only had my '93 D21 SE V6 for 3 years, my first Nissan, and have only been "under the hood" to fix broken things. I'm looking to improve it, done some reading, found conflicting info around here. Some of the info here had me convinced I had an LSD diff based on my axle code, but my experience driving and finally jacking it up told me otherwise.

If I were to roam some junk yards and turn some wheels until I found an LSD on a hardbody, which diffs are compatible with my HG43?
thatsmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,509 Posts

I’m pretty sure the LSD from any other “HG” axle will work. That’s the code for the h233b axle. Look for other SE trucks. The 96-97 SE 4 cyl even had them.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

As bama said, any "HG" axle with a LSD will work. You used to be able to spot them easily when the sticker was still on the axle, usually on the housing.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
thatsmychin

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1993

Thanks gents! I feel like (and actually am) a total noob with Nissans and 4wds in general.
thatsmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM   #5
Horsedoc0

Vehicle: 1993 D21 SE-V6 4wd

Just a heads up, I recently had the same idea. I will keep it short, as much as I can. I am a mechanic and picked up a 1993 d21 V6 4wd with 89k from a friend. Goal was to make it my hunting rig and I really wanted to upgrade to a locker or LSD. I pulled a LSD from a 186k 1994 pathy at the u pull it. I was not thrilled with the pinion lash once I wrestled it out of the junk yard in the mud and snow but proceeded to install it into my D21. I only pulled the axles out far to remove and replace the third member, so no inspection etc. I had a loud rear and noise that I believed was actually a wheel bearing as I had way to much and play on the axles. Long of the short is I have replaced all the rear wheel bearings and brake components, and still am having loud rear end noise. The end play on the axles is way to much, I did press off and on the new bearings per fsm. I have ruined a new set of seals, not bearings but need to consider the Junk yard third member junk. Live and learn. At this point I will repack and press the new bearings on one more time with new seals but have to surrender and replace it with the original open diff. Guess I will be looking for another open carrier to weld or put a locker in in the future. I am stumped as I actually thought the pinion lash and play was going to be acceptable for my needs as a hunting rig. So just make sure once you open Pandora's box you may have way more to remedy then just swapping the the third.
Pete
Horsedoc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (Yesterday)