Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Jrowe

Vehicle: 1986 d21
Default Hardbody Speedometer problem

so I picked up a 1986 hardbody with the 3.0 the other day. I bought it from a guy I know and got a good deal on it. He told me that the speedo cable broke right before I bought it from him. I replaced the old one with a whole new cable, not just the core. Now the speedo maxes out at over 100mph when im only running around 30mph. I didn't ask him if it was like that before the cable broke because I don't want to get on his nerves. My question is, can this problem be fixed by taking apart the speedo etc or is it a lost cause. I don't want to tear into the speedo without knowing because I don't want to mess up the odometer. Thanks for any help!
Jrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

my cable broke, changed it, I also checked the speedo pinion, teeth were worn, replaced it, then the speedo started acting up, replaced it, all in about 2 weeks...
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,057 Times in 931 Posts

I'd ask the guy you know.

Feel free to get on his nerves. He's the one who was dishonest with you when he sold you the vehicle and walked off with your money.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Jrowe

Vehicle: 1986 d21

Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the speedo pinion and where is it at. Sorry I’m clueless about this
Jrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrowe View Post
Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the speedo pinion and where is it at. Sorry Im clueless about this
It plugs into the transmission. That is probably what the lower end of your speedometer cable plugged into.

Also, the Speed Sensor could be bad in the instrument cluster (see attached pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d21_truck_1989 EL-60.jpg (67.5 KB, 4 views)

Old 05-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

If you're like me and several other guys with old V6 trucks, your speedo head is going bad. My speedo works fine any time it's between about 40F and 70F, but any cooler or hotter and it will say I'm doing 100+ in 2nd gear. I just use my phone and Ulysse Speedometer for long drives now. Around town I estimate speed by the sound of the engine and the gear I'm in.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrowe View Post
Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the speedo pinion and where is it at. Sorry Im clueless about this
JP is correct, mine had a belly in the teeth, if you need a new one count the teeth, it may save some time, you may also want to replace the seal and o-ring so the trans oil does not go up the cable to your speedo.. need part numbers? let me know
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
I just use my phone and Ulysse Speedometer for long drives now. Around town I estimate speed by the sound of the engine and the gear I'm in.
That should go under 'You know you drive a hardbody when...' (your speedo goes bad and you just replace it with your cell phone.)

Well, one alternative would be to hit up the wrecking yard or a truck being sold for parts and pull the instrument panel and the whole cable assembly.

Tell you one thing about doing this, though...the clear plastic on those instrument panels will crack or chip pieces off VERY easily. Do NOT pry or use any tool that contacts the clear cover on the instrument panel. Be careful...it's easy to take out the whole instrument panel itself, but you can break the clear plastic cover easy. Do not bump, chip, pry, drop, or touch that clear cover. Breathing on it might even cause a crack. It's held to the instrument panel by these little snap-in plastic tabs. Forget about removing it by prying on the tabs. It will cause a crack every time. That's because the panel has been exposed to heat for the last 32 years and gets very brittle. Back in 1988 you could probably get it off safely. But not these days. Far too late to try that.

I found this out on my old truck when I discovered my speedo needle was dragging against the panel a bit. Got the panel out easily, sure. I decided to take off the clear panel and just lightly BEND the speedo needle back up. Well...I barely touched the screwdriver to one of the attachment tabs and CRACK..about two inches long. I did get it off, but it was tricky and the crack remained. If you don't have to remove the clear cover...DON'T.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-09-2018 at 08:59 PM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

The early V6 trucks have something printed on the tach, but you have to tear the cluster apart to see the print. It says 2000 rpms is 55mph. That is if your running stock tire sizes though.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
The early V6 trucks have something printed on the tach, but you have to tear the cluster apart to see the print. It says 2000 rpms is 55mph. That is if your running stock tire sizes though.
Hahaha! It's freakin' wrong, then. lol

You'd have to have the HF35 axle and 33" tall tires to get 55 MPH at 2000 RPM.

You can check it by punching in the numbers on the Speedometer Calculator I posted last week.